News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Christy O'Connor Jnr
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »
Christy O'Connor Jnr passed away today in Spain.

He designed a number of courses in Ireland and further afield.

RIP
John Marr(inan)

Ryan Coles

Re: Christy O'Connor Jnr
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
RIP Christy

Probably not the time to speak ill, but his course in Vilamoura repulsed me.

Seemed a nice bloke though and of course a Ryder Cup legend.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
Sad to hear this. I remember sitting in the stands behind the 18th at one of the Belfry Ryder Cups watching his magnificent 2 iron shot float onto the green and roll up to a few feet of the pin.

Jon

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
Sad day for Irish and European golf.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »
RIP Christy[/size]Probably not the time to speak ill, but his course in Vilamoura repulsed me. Seemed a nice bloke though and of course a Ryder Cup legend.   RYAN COLES [/color][/i]
[/color][/size]Christy will be missed by many but mostly his family and close friends.  I played with him a few times.  Class player and a great guy.  He was a role model for many in Ireland and gave back plenty to the game.  I count some of his extended family among my closest friends.[/color][/size]Of course, he and his wife Anne were severely challenged when their son Darren was killed in a car accident in 1998, then aged only 17.  Not sure that he ever got over that, unsurprisingly.  How often are the very best people challenged in life???[/color][/size]Ryan, I believe that your comment is ill-timed at best. It has bothered me since I read it because I cannot see any upside to you making that post. Personally, I find it offensive.[/color][/size]Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.[/color][/size]KK[/color][/size][/color]
KK.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Sad news indeed.
I've only played one of his courses, Concra Wood in Monaghan. It's a good course which ranks about 38th (I think) in Ireland. I think it could have been much better, but it's well worth playing for the price of the green fee. The greens are the truest greens I've played in many many years.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
I didn't really know him. I'd met him once or twice briefly through the EIGCA and I'd corresponded with him a couple more times for a magazine article.

Because of this, I didn't actually realise until this week the enormous public esteem in which he was held. The outpouring of grief in Ireland and obituaries that detail what a warm, giving and life affirming character he was have been quite something to read. It sounds like he was THE most loved character on the tour for years with Seve, Nicklaus et al actually searching out his company because he radiated so much warmth.

I'm disappointed now that I didn't make more of an effort to meet him properly.

RIP

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »

Only found out this week that Christy Snr. died recently, just over four months since his nephew Christy Jnr. died.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/05/19/christy-oconnor-sr-golfer--obituary/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/15/christy-o-connor-sr-obituary

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/obituary-christy-oconnor-senior--he-flows-through-the-ball-like-fine-wine-400564.html

Both Christy Snr & Jnr were involved in designing Concra Wood. I don't think Snr was that involved, but for marketing reasons, it probably was beneficial to have his name associated with the project.

I remember going to Irish Open's in the 1980s. All the older spectators followed Christy Snr as he was a bit of a legend. As a 10-12 year old, I had no chance of seeing him as the crowds following him were huge.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:35:00 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
Christy Snr - the most natural golfer to ever play the game.

I've heard more than one of his fellow pro's say something along those lines. Gary Player said that if he could putt, he would have won 10 majors.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »
RIP Christy,

Only met him once. He was great friends with my coach Tom O'Mahoney and flew over to NL to speak at his retirement. They played many years on the European Tour together. Tom always spoke very highly of him. Sad loss for golf and Ireland.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back