News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Mickle

The Foulis Brothers: Scottish-American Golfing Pioneers
« on: March 12, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
I know little of the Foulis brothers but came across this article that I thought might be of interest to others on the board.
http://nwhickoryplayers.org/2016/03/the-foulis-brothers-scottish-american-golfing-pioneers/
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Phil McDade

Re: The Foulis Brothers: Scottish-American Golfing Pioneers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
Jay:

Jim Healy's In My Opinion piece on Glen Echo near St. Louis also has some background on the Foulis brothers.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/glen-echo-country-club/

Bonnie Brook is a solid muni that is a James Foulis design; in Waukegan.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
I think the Foulis Brothers are underappreciated -- they have the footprints all over Chicago, Minneapolis and especially St Louis. From playing, club-making, ball technology and architecture --renaissance men.

That looks to be a reprint of Ran's interview with Jim Healey
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/jim-healey-july-2003/
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Daniel Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »
Something unmentioned is that their imprint made its way to Florida as well. Jim Foulis served as head professional at the course connected to the old Tampa Bay Hotel.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
The article linked to above notes the following courses as Foulis designs:

Robert -

Ranfurly Castle GC (1889)
Onwentsia CC fka Lake Forest GC (1895) - Sources have Jim working with Robert, Whigham and MacDonald on the original design.
Town and Country Club (??) - Question as to whether Robert did any work here.
Lake Geneva CC (1897) - This was an addition of 9 holes.
Minikahda Club (1898 and 1906 w/ W. Watson)
Triple A GC (1902)
Log Cabin GC (1909) - Course predates 1909.
Bogey Club (1910)
Forest Park GC (1913)
Meadowbrook CC (1912)
Riverview GC (1916) - Sources have this work in 1921.
Jefferson City CC (1922) - Course predates 1922.
Ruth Park GC (1930) - Other sources have Leslie and Harris.

Jim -

Lake Zurich GC (1895) - Sources have this work done by Robert.
St. Louis CC (1896) - Sources have this as Jim and Robert.  Jim also assisted in the construction of the new CBM course.
Kinloch GC (1898)
St. Louis GC (1898) - Not sure what course this is.
Hinsdale GC (1898) - Sources have this as Tweedie.
Florissant Valley CC (1899)
Milwaukee CC (1900) - Sources have this work with J. C. Wall in 1895 or 1896.
Newspaper GC (1900) - This is the same course as the Harlem GC noted below, course also known as Tecumseh GC.
Kent CC (1900) - Sources have Jim doing this work in 1896.
Geneva GC (1901)
Dupage County GC (1901) - Sources have this as attributed to David.
Denver CC (1902)
Memphis CC (1905) - Other sources have Bendelow doing a new course in 1906.
Calumet CC (1911) - This was a remodel of an existing course.
Edgebrook CC (1921) - Original course laid out by Fovargue.
Nippersink Manor CC (1922)
Hickory Hills CC (1923)
Hillmoor GC (1924)
Meadowbrook CC (MN) (1926) - Other sources have W. Clark as architect.
Pipe O'Peace GC (1927)
Burlington CC (1927)
Bonnie Brook GC (1928) - Sources give Foulis a date of 1928, but the course was in existence earlier than that.

David -

Hinsdale GC (1921) - Rebuilt the course.  This work actually took place in 1901 and included adding 9 holes.

Jim and Robert -

Glen Echo CC (1901)
Normandie CC (1901)
Wheaton GC (1907) - The original course was laid out by Jim and David in 1901.
Sunset CC (1917)

Robert, Jim and David -

Bellerive CC (1910)

Robert and Bendelow -

Algonquin GC (1903) - Bendelow did the lay out, Foulis constructed the course.

Robert, Jim, Tweedie and Whigham

Onwentsia CC fka Lake Forest Club (1898) - Added 9 holes.

In addition to the courses noted above, the brothers should be given credit for the following work:

Riverside GC (1894) - Sources have the course being laid out by Robert in 1894 and the David in 1896.
Roadside GC (1897) - Laid out by Robert.
Springfield GC lka Pasfield Park GC (1898) - Laid out by David.
Killarney GC (1899) - Laid out by Jim.
St. Cloud CC (1899) - Laid out by Robert.
Harbor Point GC (1899) - Laid out by David.
Kansas City CC (1898) - Laid out by David.
Chicago GC (1900/1904) - Remodeled by Jim.  Both Jim and David are given credit for assisting MacDonald and Whigham in the lay out.
Harlem GC aka Harlem Jockey Club (1900) - Laid out by Jim.
Ravisloe CC (1901) - Sources have this being laid out by Robert.
CC of Detroit (c. 1911) - Sources note the land for the Colt course was selected by David.
Olympia Fields CC (1919) - Despite what the article says, changes were made to the existing courses by Jim.
Joe Lewis The Champ GC (1921) - Laid out by Jim.
Itasca CC (1925) - Laid out by Jim.
Delbrook GC (1928) - Laid out by Jim.
Log Cabin Club (1935) - Sources have Robert remodeling this course in Kansas City.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

David Amarnek

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
Sven,
In addition to the collaborative effort at Algonquin Golf Club, the original Westwood Country Club course (now Westborough CC) was also designed by Bendelow and built by Robert Foulis in 1908.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »

Robert -

Town and Country Club (??) - Question as to whether Robert did any work here.

Sven,

The following is a brief excerpt from a piece written by Rick Shefchik for T&C's 125th anniversary:

Most of these clubs – with the notable exception of Shinnecock Hills and The Country Club, which have both hosted U.S. Opens – were 9-hole courses for much of their history, and some remain so today. The Town & Country Club, however, was the first Minnesota golf course to expand to 18 holes, in 1907. Architectural credit for that expansion was never formally bestowed upon anyone, but archival newspaper accounts from the era indicate that club member Ben Schurmeier was the primary designer of the Town & Country golf course as it was played from 1907 on.

Schurmeier was head of the club's golf committee, and perhaps the club's best player at the turn of the 20th century. He finished runner-up in Minnesota's second-ever state amateur championship in 1902, and served as vice-president and then president of the Minnesota Golf Association in its first two years of existence, 1901 and 1902. He served another two-year term as president in 1906-1907.

Most sources confer design credit for Town & Country on George McCree and Robert Foulis, the club's original designer and first head professional, respectively. But none of McCree's first five holes exist in their original form, and by the time Foulis arrived in the fall of 1897, Town & Country – under Schurmeir's leadership – had already begun a redesign of its crude original course. Foulis had already moved to St. Louis when the club spent $40,000 in 1903 to secure the land it needed to expand to 18 holes.

We also have a copy of a letter written by CB MacDonald recommending Robert Foulis for the job at T&C. Next time I'm over there I can snap a picture and post here if people have an interest in seeing it.
H.P.S.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Regarding Ranfurly Castle GC, that was a Willie Campbell design with Willie being the first pro/greenkeeper. The club later moved and a new club taking the name Old Ranfurly was formed to play over the existing course. The course as originally built was a nine holer which was subsequently extended and modified later by Braid. Not sure where Foulis comes into the picture.

Niall

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »
Interesting piece from the Glen Echo CC website, marking the opening of the club in 1901.

The opening match between professionals Jim Foulis of the Chicago Golf Club and Willie Smith of the Midlothian Club in Chicago was highlight of the day. McGrew had succeeded in bringing the club to life!       

Jim Foulis must have been in the mold of a Jack or Arnie - a designer and recognizable pro who marked openings of their courses with a ceremonial round.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
Jay,
Thanks for posting that very illuminating article, chronicling the numerous contributions of the Foulis brothers to Midwestern, and American golf in general.
Their design influence and equipment/ball innovations certainly helped foster enthusiasm and growth of the sport early on in America.
The Foulis brothers' mpact on US golf serves as yet another example of how caddie golf, where Old Tom, their mentor, found the game, has.....and continues to impact golf in so many positive ways.

Cheers,
Kris  8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:18:28 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
I believe Buck, the great Mark Lewis, and I were the last people to ever play the Foulis design at Forrest Park. I would say they were the grandfathers of penal architecture. Most probably the worst prolific architects of all time.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »

The Foulis brothers' mpact on US golf serves as yet another example of how caddie golf, where Old Tom, their mentor, found the game, has.....and continues to impact golf in so many positive ways.

Kris

Is that the same Old Tom who primarily made a living out of manufacturing golf equipment and playing the game ? How many of these guys, and by that I mean guys like the Foulis brothers, primarily made a living from caddying ?

Niall

Buck Wolter

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »
I believe Buck, the great Mark Lewis, and I were the last people to ever play the Foulis design at Forrest Park. I would say they were the grandfathers of penal architecture. Most probably the worst prolific architects of all time.
The morning of Sept. 11, 2002. I remember you saying as we approached one hole that the greenside bunker was better than anything at Pasatiempo (I didn't ask why but was impressed by you saying it). I also thought you loved Glen Echo --I don't find anything penal about that course.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
I do love Glen Echo. A guy can love his children and hate their mother.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
Saying the Foulis brothers were the worst prolific architects of all time is a backhanded compliment. I acknowledge that they were prolific, which puts them in rarified air. Without critiquing their work I doubt any architects have so little work still intact. And we are talking short lives for most of these projects. I just figured it was due to the penal nature of their designs. Ever looked up those Olympic scores?

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 03:15:52 PM »
The morning of Sept. 11, 2002. I remember you saying as we approached one hole that the greenside bunker was better than anything at Pasatiempo (I didn't ask why but was impressed by you saying it). I also thought you loved Glen Echo --I don't find anything penal about that course.

John,

What bunker are we talking about?

I always liked the 18th greenside left with the tree growing in it. But they've removed it now

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
Ryan,

The original course was routed opposite what is there now. I don't recall the bunker in question but in 2002 I was just a young punk who would often says things just trying to get a reaction. I had probably just played Pasa. I needed to justify why Pasa never really did it for me.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
Ryan,

The original course was routed opposite what is there now. I don't recall the bunker in question but in 2002 I was just a young punk who would often says things just trying to get a reaction. I had probably just played Pasa. I needed to justify why Pasa never really did it for me.

I found this from quote 'The Great Mark Lewis' --I think this was the hole (he was referencing in another discussion)

Another interesting thing about that 6th green complex...it is vaguely similar to the 10th at (soon to be NLE/destroyed by Hale Irwin's "renovation") Forest Park GC in St. Louis, designed by the Foulis (sp?) Brothers, I think, around 1913.  Although the 10th is a blind tee shot of ~ 200, with a trap on the left greenside...miss the trap or deep and you're down a large (hardpan) hill.

JakaB or Buck, if you're out there, would you agree re the similarity???

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »
I believe Buck, the great Mark Lewis, and I were the last people to ever play the Foulis design at Forrest Park.

When was that?  I, btw, last played it in 1971.  Was easily my favorite public course in St. Louis, though back then that was not saying much. 

Shortly (?) after, they changed the 15th, by extending it and making it a dogleg left.  Some years before that, they had changed the 1st hole: when I started playing there it was located a bit east, and had a stream running diagonally across the fairway, and then along the right side of the green. 

Buck, in the scores of rounds I played at Forest Park, I never once saw anyone hit over the 10th green.  Left was rare also. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:27:24 PM by Jim Nugent »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
Buck tells me that we played on September 11, 2002. I do remember it being a great day. Forest Park is the largest urban park in the country. The old course was a great tour of the place.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
Forest Park is the largest urban park in the country.

Not even close.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »
Forest Park is the largest urban park in the country.

Not even close.

I could be wrong.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
Buck tells me that we played on September 11, 2002. I do remember it being a great day. Forest Park is the largest urban park in the country. The old course was a great tour of the place.
It was Sept 11, 2001 hard to believe I was off on that date.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »
I was not in St Louis on 911. That is a day I recall.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
Niall,

Old Tom certainly wasn't a career caddie. Who said he was?
Where did he....and tens of thousands of others....find the game....thank you sir.....CADDIE GOLF!!!! 
You, along with other folks unfamiliar with the reality of what caddie golf has, and continues to contribute  to golf, can try mightily to ignore or marginalize that titanic avenue of the game's difference makers and champions. I'll happily note the irrefutable ...whenever necessary,  to ensure that the record remains clear so it isn't overlooked or forgotten. 
Old Tom certainly cast a profound and positive influence on numerous facets of the game; his course design work being central to that lasting legacy.
If we look at today's golf architects, who are those mentioned as doing some of best work?
I would submit Coore and Crenshaw, Gil Hanse and Tom Doak are in the top clutch for sure. Guess what is a common thread among all four men? All were touched by some aspect of caddie golf.
Mr. Coore caddied at Pinehurst in his youth. Mr. Crenshaw was taught and mentored by Harvey Penick, who found the game as...imagine that...a caddie.
Mr. Hanse and Mr. Doak both caddied for short stints at St . Andrews when they were overseas on their wonderful Fredrick Dreer golf award trips while students at Cornell . Mr. Doak has mentioned that time as a caddie spent guiding and observing all types of players over the Old was helpful and insightful in his understanding of how to craft golf for all to enjoy.
NONE were career caddies or ANYTHING close to it!!
That is irrelevant to the  fact....they each were touched by caddie golf.  No trolley,  power cart or just walking alone EVER provided what that avenue did.
If you've had the experience of doing the job and EMBRACING what a wonderful time helping others around a course and learning the game from that perspective can be... you can appreciate it.
Even if you never have, the game itself provides ample evidence of how much caddie golf has, AND continues to deliver everywhere you look.
Cheers,
Kris  8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back