News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Decidedly O/T Golf Digest becomes the Gentleman's Quarterly
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
Quote from: PPallotta
If I know that and you know that, why don't the editors at GD?

I think individually the GD guys all know it. Anyone with half a sense does. The problem with the GD guys is that each of them would rather be laid off AFTER the guy in the next cubicle. So they're politicking to advance themselves within the company and a good way is to come up with new ideas, because realising that new idea will see them through the next couple of months. Whereas guys stating the obvious - "we're doomed" - will be the first to be given the pink slip.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Nick Church

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »
Mr. Huntley,

I agree with your comments regarding Golf Digest.  I began to question my loyalty earlier this year.  Since high school, I kept my subscription renewed at least 2-3 years in advance.  Now, of course, that blind loyalty has cost me (at least in terms of inconvenience & annoyance).

I'm forty years old, but maybe I'm older than my age.  Golf Digest makes it pretty evident I no longer match their ideal customer.

Perhaps I'm missing the larger issue, but I sure hope I'm not witnessing a slow death to the game I grew up loving.

Nick

Dan Kelly

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
... they'e trying to sell millennials, but millennials aren't playing golf. Now, TD's a smart fellow, but if he knows that should't GD editors know it too? (After all, isn't that part of the job?)

I'm guessing they're trying to sell advertisers.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
Bump to note that I came home today to find I'm a gift subscriber courtesy of my state golf association.

Guess some folks will do anything for money.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
I think the telling thing was that there  were no " testers" over the age of 58 in their equipment issues. So I guess we old farts no longer buy equipment?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:53:20 AM by Ed Brzezowski »
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tom Allen

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
I think the telling thing was that there  were no " testers" under the age of 58 in their equipment issues. So I guess we old farts no longer buy equipment?
I assume that is a joke?  Or do you mean "over 58"? The statement just doesn't make sense unless you mean over 58.  This year, according to the data on the iPad version of the magazine, 7 testers were in their 50's, including one at 57, one at 58, and one at 59.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:35:02 AM by Tom Allen »

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »
The magazine had a great legacy.

What they publish these days is an embarrassment. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 09:54:03 AM »
I think the telling thing was that there  were no " testers" under the age of 58 in their equipment issues. So I guess we old farts no longer buy equipment?
I assume that is a joke?  Or do you mean "over 58"? The statement just doesn't make sense unless you mean over 58.  This year, according to the data on the iPad version of the magazine, 7 testers were in their 50's, including one at 57, one at 58, and one at 59.

I was a senior moment of typing stupidity. I guess I am too old to buy anymore golf stuff?

Tom Allen

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »

I was a senior moment of typing stupidity. I guess I am too old to buy anymore golf stuff?

I thought that was the case.  ;)  As a 50+ year old myself, I still have authorization to buy golf stuff, but in return I have to allow the purchase of furniture, rugs, etc. in return.  :) 

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »

I thought that was the case.  ;)  As a 50+ year old myself, I still have authorization to buy golf stuff, but in return I have to allow the purchase of furniture, rugs, etc. in return.  :)

like the old days, trust and verify.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back