News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

For 6 minutes and 15 seconds on CBS Sunday Morning Jack Nicklaus was featured in their Design Issue:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jack-nicklaus-stays-the-course/
How would you have produced this segment?

GCA Purist Option -
Introduction: as the show's home base was in Newport RI they could have started at Newport CC and the great historic course.
This would have lead to first US Open and an anecdote about CB Macdonald.
Transition to NGLA to Oakmont and this years US Open.
Then to the Olympics and Gil's work in Rio.
Leads to more discussions on modern masterpieces and Keiser / Coore / Crenshaw / Doak at Bandon or Cabot.
Then to Doak's new reversible course.
Conclusion about variety in modern design and close on that crazy noodle bowl golf hole on the drawing boards in China.

The previous segment on the show included shots of Americanized Chinese noodles - which would have been a good segue into that crazy noodle hole.
Also the ban on golf courses in China as an option.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Nuzzo

I missed this web only clip on Nicklaus on Trump:
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/jack-nicklaus-on-trump-hes-turning-america-upside-down/

Jack thinks the United States needs a lot of turning upside down and waking us up.
Obviously CBS could have gotten Gil's take in his place.

Cheers

Ben Malach

Honestly CBS wants to draw viewers. A feature with Jack Nicklaus does this. Jack is still in all of our minds as one of the best to ever play the game and is respected as such. His work as an architect has developed from being mundane to when he is inspired to being very good.But the feature touch little on his values as an architect which was sad. As a discussion might have been a great point of entry for a golfer on the edge of jumping into the well of knowledge that is GCA. 

But we need to remember that what we view as the best of golf is not what the average golfer considers to be of importance. We look at courses. We see the potential missed or what currently is inspiring on the site. This can range from holes that exist or should exist to changes as simple as mow lines and bunker edging. These insights are important but translating them into a words and actions that the average golfer will understand and seek out. Has been a big challenge in our industry. We have been lucky to have vocal advocates such as Geoff Shackelford and Matt Ginella attempting this type of education weekly on the golf channel but their audience is small and reflects the die hard golfer. Attempting to translate the concepts to the mass audience is something that I have been having an emotional battle over. As it is one of the most important issues for me going forward in my career. As we are starting to see a change at the higher end of the game with Bill and Ben getting their due as some of the best in the world. The USGA Four Ball Womens championship is being played on a Tom Doak course in Florida. We are also currently looking ahead to seeing Gill Hanses work on display at the Olympics.

But what impact does this have on the course that everyday golfers play. IMO it all adds up to little or none. We need to find ways of selling golf that is smaller scale and more focused on community. But to do this there needs to be a large move in the establishment. I believe until the PGA tour starts hosting its events on sustainable and good golf courses. Untill this happens we will have little impact on this issue. Golfers tune in each week to courses that have bunkers buried in 5-10 yards of rough. Fairways that are flat and are not firm or fast. These places are maintained to the standard of unnatural green and overly lush. This leads to golf that we all know lacks the simple elements of good golf that were sought by our mentors and our historical champions. Post like mine here are perching to a choir of converted. When we leave the friendly graces of the tree house. We find a world hostile to simple things that would make the game better. Such as short courses instead of ranges, large open putting courses and the implementation of pitch and putts. Honestly the more I think about the heath of the game its the small scale projects that will have the most impact. The work that is being accomplished at Canal Shores and Winter Park will do more for the game in the next 10 to 15 years than any of the work at high end resorts or private clubs[/size]. As they are accessible and create golf that is integrated in community. It is for this reason I am sure Tom Doak's Common Ground has done more for the growth of the game in Colorado than Ballyneal.  [/color]

[/size]It is for this reason I hope that the USGA's program to pair architects and public golf becomes a success. As I feel once the golfing public can see and feel the impact of architecturally sound golf and agronomy. We can create a future for the game that will become a healthy sport in the global entertainment market. But if It fails I hope that we as an industry continue to try to make smaller projects work. I really do think that golf is important to community I just hope over the next decade that we find the game in a better place.[/color]

[/size]Sorry for the ramble but I think that GCA's future is in the little things. Like making a municipal golf course open to non-golfers on lite golfing days and creating spaces where people can learn on a course instead of banging ball from a flat lie with no consequence on a range. These are the type of projects that get limited lime light but grow the game far more effectively than a press conference with the governing bodies or interviews with former pro's turned architects. [/color]

[/size]If this segment had gone down and walked with Jason at Canal Shores or had spent time with Kieth and Riley at Winter Park. It would have been one of the classics.    [/color]
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Mike Nuzzo

Thanks Ben

I think The golf course is more important than the designer for the CBS news audience.

A few glamour pictures of golf courses (especially our favorites) on a CBS news program about design would draw more viewers than Jack.
This is the same show that promotes esoteric designers in many other fields that no one else knows - it is the subject matter that is interesting.

There was a local golf publication that only put players on the covers every issue for ever.
They finally gave in to my many suggestions to put a course on the cover and they thanked me for years afterwards, also with many more courses as covers.

Cheers

V. Kmetz

If I don't address the question per se, I apologize in advance...

I am circumspect about even the tiniest degree of impact, any such piece of its nature, could have on the economy of the game or the recognition of GCA as a significant matter of cultural movement. Perhaps I harbor that latter doubt personally, and so it colors my objectivity, but I'm primarily thinking of this in terms of the well-diffused modern communications market, in which a six minute piece is but a tiny widget, easily used, filed and forgotten... which would be the case if even Ken Burns did it and got the pantheon of ODG ghosts to inveigh.

I agree with Mike that featuring a Picasso is better than featuring a photo OF Picasso, but I also agree with Ben, that in THIS disposable communications dominion, featuring Jack still jives with the advertiser's campaigns by which ad time (and clicks) are bought, and CBS Sunday Morning goes on...

As to the Ben's big picture "direction" of Golf Economy and Golf Architecture, I agree with most of it. In my case and in my region, I see the vitality and health of really fun 9-hole courses in both the Full Scale and Executive model as a possible avenue of development. I agree with Ben in that golf will be best sustained locally, provincially, and that is at at great odds with "what looks good on TV..."

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Peter Pallotta

Hybrids are easier to hit. I think Mike's purist option is excellent, but it is the Hogan blade of American television production. The 20 degree hybrid would still have Jack N, but would introduce him and the subject via a different approach. Off the top of my head, imagine this opening voice-over as the images of Newport (etc) fill the screen (for about a minute, until Jack is introduced on camera):

We celebrate our sports stars in America - the men and women who have mastered the games we love.

In golf, the names of past greats resonate with us still: Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, and our first great champion, Bobby Jones.

But in golf, the fields of play, the battlefields upon which these great champions first made their names, are as unique as the golfers themselves.

The great golf courses of America each have their own character - their own look and set of challenges, each manifesting their own particular sense of place: the sea-side, the desert, the lowlands, Long Island, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Nebraska.   

It is this that makes golf different than other sports. Boston Gardens, after all, is the home of the Celtics and rich in basketball history -- but the court there is exactly the same size, exactly the same dimension, as any other court in the land. 

It is not so with golf courses. And for those who an interested in the art and craft of these golf courses, another set of names are also revered: 

Charles Blair Macdonald, the father of American golf course architecture;
Alistir Mackenzie, who along with Bobby Jones designed Augusta National;
Donald Ross, who over 30 years of tinkering perfected his beloved Pinehurst No 2;
and later, men like Robert Trent Jones, the US Open "Doctor";
Pete Dye, who re-fashioned 300 acres of Florida swampland into the wildly dramatic TPC at Sawgrass, with its iconic island green;
and Jack Nicklaus: who won 18 major championship, his last at the 1986 Masters at Augusta, and then turned himself into one of the most successful and prolific golf course architects of all time.   

[Talking head: Jack, on the beginning of gca in America. JN is an old pro at tv interviews, and if you tell him beforehand what you'd like to discuss he'll come prepared to talk your ear off. And so from there/him, you can pick up where Mike started, i.e.
-Newport CC as a great historic club - the first US Open and an anecdote about CB Macdonald.
-Transition to NGLA to Oakmont and this years US Open.
-Then to the Olympics and Gil's work in Rio.
-Leads to more discussions on modern masterpieces and Nicklaus, C&C, Doak - Sand Hills, Bandon etc.
- Conclusion about variety in modern design.
- Wrap up, with repeat/version of the off the top voice over]

Peter

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:40:42 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Jeff_Brauer

I like the annual design show on CBS Sunday Morning, and am glad it featured gca.  As to featuring unknown designers, yes, when required (matchbooks) but they also used Christian Dior's house for architecture, so they lean celebs.  And, they featured JN on a current project, kind of showing the process, which is good.  (Was also a brief collage of his all time greatest hits, including Harbor Town, which most of us would feel requires further explanation, but most wouldn't)

Some random comments - my wife thought Jack sounded like an ass....comments?

I liked the process, mostly on the greens (take it down here) The most telling for architecture buffs was him chewing out a field guy for designing a reverse slope with water behind.  (Why would you do THAT?)  No doubt, Jack is still into receptivity.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

Someone should chew Jack out for all the artificial water hazards in his design shown by the segment.

I prefer my clubs get more of a workout than my ball retriever. Playing his courses would require regripping the retriever too often.

I sent a complaint to CBS through their online feedback mechanism.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Kelly

Tilting at windmills, I say (from considerable experience of commenting to Sunday Morning).

Been watching Sunday Morning religiously since the week of its inception. Missed most of yesterday's; tee time interfered. Will watch On Demand.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Pete Lavallee

After returning from overseas late Saturday night I actually watched Sunday Morning instead of being on the golf course. As stated the theme of the show was design. Now if a non golfing producer was looking for a designer to profile I suspect picking the Greatest Golfer of all Time is a no brainier. Also Jack leads the field in the number of design commissions so most outside the field would likely conclude that he must get that much work because the product is in fact good. Truth be told the product is financially successful, it would be pretty hard to slam the artistic portion while interviewing and glorifying Jack at the same time. He was pretty mean to his poor design assistant, how exactly does one fire back at the GGoaT on national TV!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

Tilting at windmills, I say (from considerable experience of commenting to Sunday Morning).

Been watching Sunday Morning religiously since the week of its inception. Missed most of yesterday's; tee time interfered. Will watch On Demand.

Thanks for the reply Don Q.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

Now if a non golfing producer was looking for a designer to profile I suspect picking the Greatest Golfer of all Time is a no brainier. Also Jack leads the field in the number of design commissions so most outside the field would likely conclude that he must get that much work because the product is in fact good. Truth be told the product is financially successful, it would be pretty hard to slam the artistic portion while interviewing and glorifying Jack at the same time. He was pretty mean to his poor design assistant, how exactly does one fire back at the GGoaT on national TV!

This whole thread is fundamentally ignorant of how the media works nowadays.  Most likely Nicklaus' p.r. people approached CBS and have been bugging them for the opportunity to appear for some time.  That's why the rich get richer, because they can afford to invest their time to generate more attention.

As for your last question, I didn't see the show, but poor design assistants are generally afraid to fire back, anyway, for fear of their jobs.

Dan Kelly

I didn't see the show

See it here, if you'd like:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jack-nicklaus-stays-the-course/

P.S. The correspondent might or might not be the Jim Axelrod who plays to a USGA 9.3 at Montclair Golf Club in New Jersey.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:32:21 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom_Doak

See it here, if you'd like:

Dan:  Thanks but I have already seen the extended version!  ;)

Carl Rogers

My explanation to wife about the segment was about how much the site had to get re-worked and re-shaped to get the design, while many others would be more willing to take the site as it is and spend 1/10 the $$.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Pavy

As to the Ben's big picture "direction" of Golf Economy and Golf Architecture, I agree with most of it. In my case and in my region, I see the vitality and health of really fun 9-hole courses in both the Full Scale and Executive model as a possible avenue of development. I agree with Ben in that golf will be best sustained locally, provincially, and that is at at great odds with "what looks good on TV..."

cheers
vk

I'll go a step further and say the new poster child for golf will soon be:

9 Holes, All par 3s
Exceptionally low maintenance (1 green keeper)
Use less than 10,000 gallons of water per year.
Have 8" cups
Be available for play at night.
Have a "unique" tee.
Incorporate an architectural feature that is so obvious that you'll wonder why this feature hasn't been used before (if ever).

As to looking good on TV....A small course has a distinct advantage. What Augusta must of spent (broadcast infrastructure) can now be done for less than 1/100th of the cost.

Think of it this way: Let's say that 10% of a population plays golf. That means 90% don't. Convention leads the industry to build golf courses that cater to the 10% of the population that play golf, completely overlooking what sort of golf course would make the game appealing to the vast majority of the population.

Mike_Young

I would guess most golf architecture discussions are carried on with those who don't know what they don't know and therefore it was probably done in that light.  One can drive themselves crazy trying to make the average golfer understand golf architecture or trying to change one's mind.  For instance, we are seeing a splurge in mediocre photo shopped golf photography with highlighted cartpaths and half way houses being hyped by clubs as great golf photos.  It's just not worth arguing such....you will not change their mind...same for the CBS segment...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back