News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Felton

Pick the best choice from these courses
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
Hi all,

I am planning on playing in a few qualifiers again this year and would love to hear people's thoughts on the courses. I'm not too fussed about actually qualifying. More interested in seeing something interesting or varied or out there. Basically, if you had the choice between playing at each of these courses 10 times, how many times would you pick each one?

Set 1:

Southampton GC
Lake Success GC
Elmwood CC

Set 2:

Nissequogue GC
West Hills CC
Pelham CC

Set 3:

Sands Point GC
Hempstead G&CC
Galloway National GC

All of these courses are in NY (I think) with the exception of Galloway National. I don't particularly want to trek to New Jersey unless there is a really good reason to do so and I think Galloway National might be a really good reason. Curious about everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Pick the best choice from these courses
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Galloway is worth the trek. Just one persons opinion.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
Played Galloway in the fall and loved it. It will beat you up, but it was in perfect shape and had a lot of fun holes.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:28:07 PM »
Michael:

Agree with the gentlemen above on Galloway. And it's not a bad drive -- all highway, and the course is minutes from the AC Expressway and the GS Parkway. If you've never played it, it's worth the trek.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
Okay - I have actually played it, but also played Pine Valley and Merion on the same trip (about 18 years ago too) and I don't remember it at all. I remember the range, but that's it.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »
Unless you are playing in these tournaments with very low expectations,  you want to match the courses that best fit your game.  I  have played all but West Hills in tournaments.  If the tournament with Southampton is in mid-May or earlier, having an afternoon time because of wind could be a couple stroke disadvange--is it worth the risk of the draw?  If the level of competition is good, Galloway is going to favor the player with huge clubhead speed  because it is a hard course with very firm conditions  and does not require any strategic play as far as favoriing angle of attack.  Elmwood,  Nissequouge, Lake Success, and Pelham are tricky, and a practice round would be very beneficial.  Definitely, want a good caddy to read the greens at Elmwood and Pelham because you will find some very counterintuitive breaks that are not easily seen.  Sands Point and Hempstead are wonderful mid-length Tillies.  Both can be overpowered by the bombers, but can be negotiated very successfully using good patience and attacking from advantageous angles.

Joe Bausch

Re: Pick the best choice from these courses New
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Here are some off-season pics of Galloway National from March of 2011:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Galloway/index.html

I liked GN right from the get-go, with a solid opening par 4.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:11:41 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back