News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Storm damage - Aberdovey 12th - with pix
« on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:12 AM »
On my other recent Aberdovey thread, the thread about the 3rd hole, "Cader' - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58817.0.html - Brent asked for an update on the par-3 12th hole which was damaged during this winters storms.

First however, a reminder of what the hole looked like previously

These photos are copied from Tony's 2010 photo-tour - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42867.0.html

Note in particular the hollow to the seaward side of the green -

This is what the green looks like now -

Hollow, what hollow?

The hole is currently playing to about 125 yds from a forward tee. Actually it plays okay. Folks were still hitting shots onto the beach or missing to the left and bouncing down the slope.

As to the future, re-building out to sea looks IMO like a no-goer. Clubhouse chat, NOT confirmed, mentioned maybe widening the green inland at the same raised level. This is clubhouse chat though, NOT confirmed.

Lovely course (and place) Aberdovey, so here are a couple more photos -

Shaggy bunkers - I like these - they seem to say "I'm a hazard, don't come close.....or else!"

Aberdovey's secret killer - the ditches - they are numerous - holes 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 17 & 18 have them and they certainly come into play.

Aberdovey has three famous holes, the par-3 3rd, 'Cader', the short par-3 12th, as outlined above, and the short par-4 16th, the hole that dog-legs left hugging the railway line. This hole -

And one last photo of the 1st green, 18th hole and Clubhouse etc

Toot, toot! :)

atb

Colin Macqueen

Re: Storm damage - Aberdovey 12th - with pix
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:43:51 AM »
Thomas,

Bernard Darwin, with a raised President's Putter, salutes you from the far side!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Neil White

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »
Thomas,

Thanks for the photos of the 12th - now an even smaller target to hit.

Was there any talk of possible seaward defences to prevent a further washout?

As for the new path........ hmmm....?

Neil.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Thomas,

Thanks for the photos of the 12th - now an even smaller target to hit.

Was there any talk of possible seaward defences to prevent a further washout?

As for the new path........ hmmm....?

Neil.

My thought exactly. It was a tough little hole before. Now it's a tougher, littler hole!

Can't wait to give it a go...just 14 weeks from this very moment I should be on the train from Aberdovey to Manchester and from there back home.

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
Save for the silly path, which I have my own issues with at courses everywhere, I think it looks splendid. I'm not convinced that any changes are needed.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:20 AM »
By the way, I assume that the red-staked sandy scrub where the "hollow" used to be is off-limits to golfers. My guess is they don't want anyone tramping in there trying to play a shot from the hazard. Is there a local rule or notation on the scorecard to that effect?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
There was no talk that I picked-up on of more seaward defences to prevent any further wash-outs. It might be quite complicated operation. The course isn't that wide, there's a lot of wet areas in the middle of it so crossing the course to get to the location might be a hassle and you'd probably need to cut through the dune line somewhere, which would mean using big machines and causing damage. Plus you'd need to get the machines and materials across the railway line somewhere and that would be a complicating factor (width, weight etc). An alternative would be to come along the beach to the site, but that's a long, long way.

The new path, there are many more like it on the course, is made of crushed seashells. Bright to the eye and 'crunchy' underfoot.

The hole is indeed a nasty little rascal but still playable, even in a biggish wind. The green is small though, so pin placements spots are limited. Wear and tear aside, I wouldn't have a problem with it staying the same size. The green putts quick too, being high up on the exposed dune-line and thus with more wind action and natural drainage.

My recollection is that if your ball ends up within the red-staked area a local rule says you must drop the ball out under penalty in the pre-marked dropping zone at the bottom of the slope and play from there. There is also a local rule that applies if you're ball ends up very close to the fence immediately adjacent to the green (it's also red-lined slightly inside base of the fence). I can't remember the local rule though!

atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I played Aberdovey in a competition Mon-Tues and there is a huge dune being rebuilt on the 12th which will transform the hole.  From the back tees (~150) the shot will be blind, and anything right of the hole will sleep with the fishes.  Anything even a bit left will bound 20 yards down the hill and demand either a difficult bump and run or a Mickelsonian flop shot to have any hope for a 4.  A 3 from anywhere wil be gold dust.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
I found this about the reconstruction of the storm damaged 12th green at Aberdovey.

Includes quite a few photos.

http://www.mjabbott.co.uk/projects/aberdovey-golf-club-north-wales

Incidentally, I believe the Aberdovey bunker refurbishment work was undertaken/overseen by North Wales based architect David Williams.

Atb
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:45:21 PM by Thomas Dai »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »
The site of that green as it was hard against the shore reminds me of the 4th & 5th greens at Golspie. I wonder how long it will be before they have to move it again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back