News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Long Island Country Club (VIC-AUSTRALIA)
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
Any thoughts on Long Island Country Club?
Thanks,
Mike

Greg Gilson

Re: Long Island Country Club (VIC-AUSTRALIA)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:50:17 AM »

Mike, I am unsure what you are after with your question. However, my thoughts include

-its a sleeper at the southern end of the Melbourne Sandbelt (I may be stretching the boundaries?)
-interesting course with some quirky holes and a great set of hard to hit (offset to line of play) greens
-shares a boundary with Peninsula CC
-whilst its a good course, you would need to spend a couple of weeks playing in/around Melbourne before you invested 1 of your golf days here
-club has struggled for members in recent times and "merged" with The National to become that club's 4'th course (as a NGC member I can give you my take offline on who did best out of the deal)

Hope this helps?

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Greg-
Thanks for your reply, that's perfect. I just haven't seen that much discussion on the course, and the google map looks great...

Brian Walshe

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »

Mike,

There are a few really good holes at Long Island and a few average holes that came about as a result of a land swap with Peninsula many years ago.  The 4th, 5th and 13th were created or modified at that time and could do with some work.  Having said that the run of 6 thru12 are all pretty good holes as are 14 thru 16.  8 with it's hogsback fairway and very tough green is huge fun.

Charles Lund

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
I've played it a couple of times before the merger with The National and a couple of times afterward.  I probably need to play it a lot more but with three other courses at The National which I prefer, I probably will perodically play it.

Conditions of bunkers have improved since the merger two years ago.  Greens roll very fast and are treacherous, although longer term members seem to putt them well.

I'll be back Downunder in March and will probably play it again.

For a one time visitor, other Sandbelt courses would be a higher priority.

Also, The Dunes Golf Links, Moonah Links Legends, and St. Andrews Beach on on the Mornington Peninsula are challenging, enjoyable, and affordable.  The Dunes was the first course I played in Australia and I always enjoy going back.  These three courses tend to get less attention from connoisseurs,  but definitely are worth playing. 

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back