News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Photo of the Month Thread-June 2015
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »
Bethpage Black, #4

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
Howard, the Black 4th is one of the greatest meetings of land and sand, land and sand, that I have had the pleasure to play. I never tire of that vista, nor of that walk, nor of the thought that the hole might have turned left early on if not for Tillinghast.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JStewart

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
A few from Oakland Hills' South Course taken this past weekend ..

The awesome and brutal 5th hole:

Standing on 18 tee looking across 10 green and over to No. 11:

The short but tricky No. 15:

Joe Stansell

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »

A surprise low altitude flyover of a C17 seen from the 1st tee of Chambers Bay at the Tuesday practice round of the 2015 US Open. Players on the practice green (to the right) stopped to watch, too.

Steve Lang

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 09:01:47 PM »
 8)  Was that Ben Sims in that C-17 trying to get some aerial pics???
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 06:35:10 AM »
A few from Oakland Hills' South Course taken this past weekend ..

The awesome and brutal 5th hole:

Standing on 18 tee looking across 10 green and over to No. 11:

The short but tricky No. 15:

JStewart, I've not played nor walked either Oakland Hills course, but I know the South's reputation. I like the three photos you posted above and wonder how you feel about the golf courses at that club. Is the width proper for a club golfer? How high is the primary rough and can you escape with more than a wedge? Are the vistas across holes memorable? How do the two courses compare?

I suspect that you're pretty busy, but if you have time and inclination to answer any of those questions, I would be grateful.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Tang

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »

Inverness

JStewart

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Ron,
A few things have been done to improve the look of the South course since the '08 PGA, namely removing some trees and adding touches of native/heather grass (see below, the par-3 third). There isn't much "width" to the course (as I understand the term anyway). A lot of the holes are lined with deep bunkers, though there are exceptions (for example, Nos. 14 and 16 have no fairway bunkers, and No. 15 has two but they are in the middle of the fairway). The rough is usually not very long but it's thick and adequately penalizing. It's not "chop it out with your wedge" stuff but it's going to make a difference in making solid contact and being able to hold the greens. The course overall could be more playable for the average golfer, but most of the members play it as a par-72 and far shorter than what the pros do so they have learned to navigate their way around. The greens are definitely the crown jewel of the South. I haven't played everywhere, but I can't imagine a much better set of putting surfaces exist.
The North course is also a Ross design and also sports a fantastic set of greens. It's much shorter and easier (though they just lengthened the tips to about 6,800 yards). I'd say it's definitely one of the top-10 or -15 courses in Michigan still, which is saying something with all the great golf there. It's a par-70 with two wonderful par-5s.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:42:52 PM by JStewart »

Jason Way

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 10:47:17 PM »
1,537 driving miles later, I'm back from a road trip through Indiana and Ohio.  I'll post a recap later, but here are pics from 4 of the 5 courses I visited.

The Fort

Hyde Park G&CC

The Donald Ross Course at French Lick

Harrison Hills G&CC

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 01:11:21 AM »
Couple more shots from a trio of area hidden gems:

Country Club of Scranton
Clarks Summitt, PA
10th Green
June 2015

Kennett Square Golf & Country Club
Kennett Square, PA
2nd Hole
June 2015

Deal Golf & Country Club
Deal, NJ
15th Hole
June 2015

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »
Cavs, that is a unique angle to number 10 at Scranton. The look from the fairway, as you know, is stunning. Actually, the fairway is stunning and the green is stunning. That was our first hole when we played there in 2014 and we looked around and said "we quit. it can't possible get any better."

I have a cool photo that I'll try to dig up of Kevin Lynch and another guy on that #10 green.

Is any of those that hardscrabble muni I challenged you with, by chance?   ;D ;D ;D
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back