News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

"Undulation is the Soul of Golf"
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
I give you Moray Old (taken by me after having dinner across the road at the hotel?

Yes, my wife and I played it. And it's amazing.

But for someone hitting it sideways like I have been lately, the gorse is a bit too close on a few holes. Still I had only one hole with NR.

Played the other 17 almost even bogey, which I suppose isn't THAT bad for a 17-handicapper seeing it for the first time.

And, they aren't kidding with this sign.... the RAF fighter jocks were out yesterday afternoon, and it was DEAFENING.

One more:

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ally Mcintosh

Re: "Undulation is the Soul of Golf"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »
Moray Old - very underrated

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
great bit of land right there and a quality finish. though the land in the middle of both courses from what I remember is relatively flat is it not?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
great bit of land right there and a quality finish. though the land in the middle of both courses from what I remember is relatively flat is it not?

I was going to ask the same thing.  I haven't been there since 1982 but the 18th hole is still firmly in my memory bank.  The rest of them, not so much.  Possibly I'm still a bit traumatized from the Harriers doing their patrols.  I was there in the run-up to the Falklands War, and they were practicing relentlessly.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »

I was going to ask the same thing.  I haven't been there since 1982 but the 18th hole is still firmly in my memory bank.  The rest of them, not so much.  Possibly I'm still a bit traumatized from the Harriers doing their patrols.  I was there in the run-up to the Falklands War, and they were practicing relentlessly.

Land from 7 through to 13 is definitely quite flat without a lot of micro movement. But those holes have some great bunker positions, a couple of cool, drivable par fours, nice diagonal use of a burn and a couple of cute green sites. So, whilst the course isn't one with lots of rumple, it is one with a good variety of holes and greens.

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »

I suppose that's true, it's not like the first six and last five or six for sure.  But then there are only so many Broras in the world.

I would say that it is hardly flat compared to most American courses, and agree with Ally that some of the greens and green sites are pretty cool.

Anyway, greens and approaches like 2, 3, 4 and 16 are more than worth the trip.  By playing after 4 p.m. we manged to save 60 pounds on the  combined cost. The 50 GBP rate is good before 8:30 and after 4:00 in high season. It also meant I got that lovely late-afternoon light to take a picture.

AND... we got two drams of the Malt of the Week for only a few pence over 5 GBP.

FWIW, a shot of whisky is one of the best bargains you'll get in Scotland. 
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Booze in golf clubs in the UK, like any kind of private club here is always cheaper than in pubs. Just please don't EVER think of driving with more than one drink in you.

#Scottishtrafficcopswillkickyourass

Slainthe!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
Booze in golf clubs in the UK, like any kind of private club here is always cheaper than in pubs. Just please don't EVER think of driving with more than one drink in you.

#Scottishtrafficcopswillkickyourass

Slainthe!
F.

That's why it's great to stay in St Andrews or North Berwick - or almost anywhere in the UK! - and have several pubs in walking distance. 

The pub by the fourth tee at Elie had Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or for Malt of the Week when we were there!

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
Wow - that's a beautiful looking piece of property. Thanks for sharing.

Your photos and the title of your post immediately reminded me of the 16th at Pacific Dunes. Similarly soulful:

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Frank M

Re: "Undulation is the Soul of Golf" New
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:50:29 AM »
Apart from being a great golf course, I sympathize completely with your thread title.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:11:43 PM by Frank M »

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »
I played Moray Old last Friday in some absolutely fantastic weather and the course was in great condition as you would expect having just hosted the Scottish Amateur Strokeplay and with the Moray Open only a few weeks away. When it’s like that there is no finer course in the north of Scotland, Nairn and Dornoch included. It was incidentally the fastest and firmest course I played in a week of golf up in the Highlands and thereabouts.

There have been a few tweaks since I was last there a couple of years ago but nothing drastic. As for the “flat” middle holes, there might not be obvious rumple offering drastic bounces but there is certainly enough contour to create a tendency for the ball to deviate slightly one way or the other which needs to be considered when trying to skirt round bunkers. Personally I tend to find this type of golf more compelling than more dramatic holes but the 18th is a wonderful hole.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
I played Moray Old last Friday in some absolutely fantastic weather and the course was in great condition as you would expect having just hosted the Scottish Amateur Strokeplay and with the Moray Open only a few weeks away. When it’s like that there is no finer course in the north of Scotland, Nairn and Dornoch included. It was incidentally the fastest and firmest course I played in a week of golf up in the Highlands and thereabouts.

There have been a few tweaks since I was last there a couple of years ago but nothing drastic. As for the “flat” middle holes, there might not be obvious rumple offering drastic bounces but there is certainly enough contour to create a tendency for the ball to deviate slightly one way or the other which needs to be considered when trying to skirt round bunkers. Personally I tend to find this type of golf more compelling than more dramatic holes but the 18th is a wonderful hole.

Niall

Hi Niall,

They didn't remove any of the centreline bunkers did they? Such as the ones on 5?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back