News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Schott

Re: Muirfield Village-Emerald City?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »
''Ben,

This is how you get firm and fast conditions on PGA Tour courses and maintain the green look.  He used the roller all the way down the fronting slope.  This is the 14th at MVGC late in the day during a practice round. ''

Josh,

That is how you drive the cost of maintenance up.  Firm conditions are achieved through mother nature and turning off the sprinklers.  They maintain a green look due to MV cutting their greens extremely short thus requiring water to cool the soil temp. 

Do you think that MVCC cares about maintenance costs? It's an exclusive course in a nice part of the Columbus area. The members and Jack want the Augusta tailored look. This is not the course to cite when promoting fescue, f and f and the like. It would look silly tricked up like that. I was not designed as that sort of course. I think it's beautiful and I love the use of water.

BHoover

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »
Ah, the obligatory anti-MVGG thread rears its head yet again. I agree wholeheartedly with my friend Josh, who knows Ohio golf as well as anyone I know. I also think that MV is perfect for what it is--it's Jack's homage to ANGC and it plays as he likes it to play in order to present an entertaining golf tournament.

I also enjoy playing the course. Obviously some don't care for it, and that's fine. But it doesn't mean it's a bad course.

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
''Ben,

This is how you get firm and fast conditions on PGA Tour courses and maintain the green look.  He used the roller all the way down the fronting slope.  This is the 14th at MVGC late in the day during a practice round. ''

Josh,

That is how you drive the cost of maintenance up.  Firm conditions are achieved through mother nature and turning off the sprinklers.  They maintain a green look due to MV cutting their greens extremely short thus requiring water to cool the soil temp.  

Do you think that MVCC cares about maintenance costs? It's an exclusive course in a nice part of the Columbus area. The members and Jack want the Augusta tailored look. This is not the course to cite when promoting fescue, f and f and the like. It would look silly tricked up like that. I was not designed as that sort of course. I think it's beautiful and I love the use of water.

Of course they don't care about maintenance costs.  I know what it is I played the course.  Your comments are silly, ''it would look tricked up''.  Like it isn't tricked up now?  I also said fescue in spots.  The ridge to the left on the 11th hole would look awesome with tree removal and fescue.  

Have you seen the transformations over the decades?  So architecture be damned, all we care about is beauty and nice land movement.  What is this a golf magazine or an Architecture website?  I think they should just put water on every hole and be done with it.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:31:55 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

JC Jones

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »
I think the course looks great and I hope to get the chance to play it someday (and have a milkshake!).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brian Finn

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
I just played MVGC for the first time, a couple of weeks ago.  I had walked it on several occasions during the Memorial, so I had reasonable course knowledge, but I never feel like I can fully evaluate a course until I have actually played it.  I was surprised to find that I liked the course even more as a player than as a spectator.  From the 6,750 yard tees, it was rather playable - the turf was quite firm, the playing corridors were wider than they appeared from behind the ropes, and the course was generally less penal than I anticipated.  It was completely green, just as it seems on TV, and I loved every second of it.

My round at MVGC came shortly after a few days at Prairie Dunes, which is my favorite course on the planet. The two courses couldn't be more different, yet I love them both. That's really one of the things I love so much about golf.  It's played in varied terrains and climates, on courses that have wonderful differences in playing characteristics and conditions.  I understand that wall to wall green represents some of golf's ills, and I certainly wouldn't want every course to go this route.  Variety in design (on some level) is why we're all here.  We all have our own tastes, and we should be able to respect others' preferences. There is no right and wrong here, only preference.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »
I just played MVGC for the first time, a couple of weeks ago.  I had walked it on several occasions during the Memorial, so I had reasonable course knowledge, but I never feel like I can fully evaluate a course until I have actually played it.  I was surprised to find that I liked the course even more as a player than as a spectator.  From the 6,750 yard tees, it was rather playable - the turf was quite firm, the playing corridors were wider than they appeared from behind the ropes, and the course was generally less penal than I anticipated.  It was completely green, just as it seems on TV, and I loved every second of it.

My round at MVGC came shortly after a few days at Prairie Dunes, which is my favorite course on the planet. The two courses couldn't be more different, yet I love them both. That's really one of the things I love so much about golf.  It's played in varied terrains and climates, on courses that have wonderful differences in playing characteristics and conditions.  I understand that wall to wall green represents some of golf's ills, and I certainly wouldn't want every course to go this route.  Variety in design (on some level) is why we're all here.  We all have our own tastes, and we should be able to respect others' preferences. There is no right and wrong here, only preference.

+1
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:30:36 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Schott

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »

Of course they don't care about maintenance costs.  I know what it is I played the course.  Your comments are silly, ''it would look tricked up''.  Like it isn't tricked up now?  I also said fescue in spots.  The ridge to the left on the 11th hole would look awesome with tree removal and fescue.  

Have you seen the transformations over the decades?  So architecture be damned, all we care about is beauty and nice land movement.  What is this a golf magazine or an Architecture website?  I think they should just put water on every hole and be done with it.   ;D ;D ;D

MVCC is what it is. Sorry it's not what you want in a course. I think it's great for what it is. It's not Sand Hills nor is it meant to be. Give it a rest.

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
This is what I can't stand, you misrepresent my statements.  When did I say I wanted it to be Sand hills?  The thread was monochrome texture, which it is IMO and a few others.  Also basically you are saying Sand Hills is tricked up.  3rdly, Orchard Lake must be trying to be Sand Hills iyo.  Parkland courses can have fescue in places, and I never said wall to wall fescue in prior posts such that Sand Hills has.  And lastly a proper definition of parklands. ''Those estate lands were called "parks" and that's where the term parkland came from in the context that was applied to the style of golf course called "parkland".  I offered a suggestion to the thread title and you took my posts and spun them.  There are a few of us that don't think its great, so be it. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
This is what I can't stand, you misrepresent my statements.  When did I say I wanted it to be Sand hills?  The thread was monochrome texture, which it is IMO and a few others.  Also basically you are saying Sand Hills is tricked up.  3rdly, Orchard Lake must be trying to be Sand Hills iyo.  Parkland courses can have fescue in places, and I never said wall to wall fescue in prior posts such that Sand Hills has.  And lastly a proper definition of parklands. ''Those estate lands were called "parks" and that's where the term parkland came from in the context that was applied to the style of golf course called "parkland".  I offered a suggestion to the thread title and you took my posts and spun them.  There are a few of us that don't think its great, so be it.

Ben:

There is really no place for the look shown above at Muirfield Village, because nearly all the holes have homes on both sides.  You can't compare it to a "core" parkland course.  It's a housing development course, one of the few really excellent ones.

Mike Schott

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »

C'mon Ben, don't be dense. A child can understand that I used Sand Hills to make a point. I said nothing of the sort about SH being tricked up. I'm saying that the environment in the Nebraska Sand Hills lends itself to that type of course and that in central Ohio make for different types of courses. It doesn't help your argument to use semantics to make a point.

And this thread is not about the course being "great". It's about the type of course Jack Nicklaus and the members want at MVCC vs what you like in a course. There is room for many types of courses.

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
This is what I can't stand, you misrepresent my statements.  When did I say I wanted it to be Sand hills?  The thread was monochrome texture, which it is IMO and a few others.  Also basically you are saying Sand Hills is tricked up.  3rdly, Orchard Lake must be trying to be Sand Hills iyo.  Parkland courses can have fescue in places, and I never said wall to wall fescue in prior posts such that Sand Hills has.  And lastly a proper definition of parklands. ''Those estate lands were called "parks" and that's where the term parkland came from in the context that was applied to the style of golf course called "parkland".  I offered a suggestion to the thread title and you took my posts and spun them.  There are a few of us that don't think its great, so be it.

Ben:

There is really no place for the look shown above at Muirfield Village, because nearly all the holes have homes on both sides.  You can't compare it to a "core" parkland course.  It's a housing development course, one of the few really excellent ones.

Tom,

Due to my lack of computer skills I couldn't express what I'd do with the 11th hole at MVGC and a few others.  The photo I provided of 13 at OLCC had too much fescue for what I'd like for MVGC.  There are still a good deal of holes at MVGC that border one another that would look cool with some native in spots IMO.  Personally I really don't care, i wouldn't put the course in the top 100 if I was a rater, this was suppose to be a discussion thread.  If we consider MVGC a housing development course (I'll give you that), then it's the best I've played.  That isn't saying much in my book.  My only apology was comparing a great course like Orchard Lake to MVGC.  I consider MVGC a big miss with how good the land is.  For the record I love difficult golf courses. 

I'll guess I will just go with my earlier post.  

''What texture would you add?  dye the creeks and ponds a baby blue color?  One that is way out there would be sand capped grassy knolls.  I'd say leave it alone 98% of people love it.  ''

PS- I hope this thread dies
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:12:29 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BHoover

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 07:35:56 AM »
Regardless of what I think about MV (I like it), I do think there are some forgettable holes (3 and 7 come to mind). On 7, the green is floating in a sea of rough, which I just don't understand. There's really no option on the approach shot other than to get the distance right and fly it to the hole. It's a slightly elevated green, so maybe the option for anything along the ground is limited, but I just don't care for the rough that surrounds the entire green complex. I'd like to see some expanded chipping areas or something other than deep rough.

My favorite hole is 11, and I'm not sure what others think should be done with this hole. I can't think of anything but am interested in hearing any ideas. Maybe there are ideas for the average golfer, but as someone who always watched the tournament from the 11th green, I'm not sure if change a thing on this hole. It delivers the goods as far as being fun to watch.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »
Let's all just admit that MVGC, ANGC & Sawgrass exist for the top 100 players in the world and they (the courses and the players) exist in an alternate reality than everyone else. ... which is ok.

The financial question I would have about MVGC is how much $ has been spent re-working the course through the years.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Hancock

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
Let's all just admit that MVGC, ANGC & Sawgrass exist for the top 100 players in the world and they (the courses and the players) exist in an alternate reality than everyone else. ... which is ok.

The financial question I would have about MVGC is how much $ has been spent re-working the course through the years.

Carl,

I would tend to agree w/ point #1, although I'm sure that member tees exist at each facility that make the courses more enjoyable than the tournament version would be. As for point#2, what difference does it make if said changes are performed for the sole purpose of keeping those in an alternate reality off guard/ on their toes....especially if point #1 is relevant?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lang

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
 8) I believe texture is a matter of perspective. viva la difference!

Though I haven't been to MVGC in almost 30 years, at one time a natural regional look would have been corn and soybean field textures from which MV and the Dublin area suburbia sprang forth from, with all the trees and weeds along the ditches..

Some perspective..

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:45:53 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Carl Rogers

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »

Carl,

I would tend to agree w/ point #1, although I'm sure that member tees exist at each facility that make the courses more enjoyable than the tournament version would be. As for point#2, what difference does it make if said changes are performed for the sole purpose of keeping those in an alternate reality off guard/ on their toes....especially if point #1 is relevant?
My point is that if other courses could spend that much with so many re-works over an extended period of time, could they be "great courses" also?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »
8) I believe texture is a matter of perspective. viva la difference!

Though I haven't been to MVGC in almost 30 years, at one time a natural regional look would have been corn and soybean field textures from which MV and the Dublin area suburbia sprang forth from, with all the trees and weeds along the ditches..

Some perspective..

As a young kid I lived in Westerville in the late 1960's early 1970's. We used to go to "Dublin" just to get our pumpkins for Halloween. It was just farmland and fields, not much else. There was NOTHING there. It started to blow up around the mid 1980's.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back