News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Examples of man made Streams, burns, and creeks?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »
Sean beat me to it.  No water on any of those Huntercombe examples, even the first example (which is the second hole).

My bad.  Sean has a good eye or I was just thinking "man made". 

Mark, on the first example of Huntercombe, the ditch seems like it would carry water in a rain storm. It isn't used for drainage?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Not as far as I'm aware, Joel.  It's on top of the hill, so I can't imagine much water collecting above it and the fairway is steeply downhill.  It is a brilliant feature, though.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »

I read the Plainflield profile and was really impressed with the 12th hole.  I was curious if the ditch/creek was man made by Ross or prior by man?  If so, this is a really great example of a strategic design that is vastly missing in today's arch. 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
It seems to me that Muirfield Village has man made streams.

I once rode Muirfield with Jay Morrish, while Jack played with the Golf Digest architecture contest award winner. Of course, Jay was involved and yes, those streams at MV are artificial.  In fact, the topo was so steep, in "V" shaped valleys, that many of the holes at MV are filled 20-50 feet or more above the original stream beds, and of course, everything on top is artificial.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ken Fry

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 01:28:29 PM »
On the Warren Course at Notre Dame, the creek crossing the 10th hole is a recirculating creek and the creek running down the left side of the 18th is also a recirculating creek.  In both cases, those areas were the original creek bed for a river that had been re-routed as part of a plan to increase flow and decrease water temperature.

Ken

Paul Carey

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »
Caves Valley he an artificial creek.  The 9th or 18th (they switch 9s) has a creek from the green that runs down the right side of the fairway.  Water is pumped to the top of the creek.   Fazio. 

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 09:30:42 PM »
I believe all the ponds and creeks at Shooting Star in Jackson, WY are man made.  All except for Fish Creek, which the course is near, but cannot be maintained - due to DNR guidelines/protection.  If you pull pictures from the website, the place looks as natural as could be, but was dug out, and pushed up.  The creeks on the course look like a blue ribbon trout stream that's been there for ever.  I think it is pumped and recirculated through the pond system.

www.shootingstarjh.com

James Bennett

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 06:32:44 AM »
Ben Cowan

I believe the 12th at Plainfield (a par 5) was originally two holes.
I am not sure whether the creek was there originally.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Perches

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 11:58:09 PM »
If ever I get to the Netherlands again, I hope to see Frank Pont's  Swinkelsche

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56818.0.html

Ian Andrew

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 04:19:06 PM »
Cutten Fields 14th

Cool story on this one:

The source of the water is from the de-watering of the University of Guelph

We asked the University if we could tap into the pipe that feeds down into the river below. They said sure, its just run off to them. For us it became a new source of fresh water meaning almost no need to draw from the adjacent river.

It went from a silted-in ditch higher than the fairway (and very ugly) to a running creek that feeds the irrigation pond. Credit goes to a member who knew the University actively de-watered the property and wondered where it all went.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:27:10 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

BCrosby

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »
"They said sure, its just run off to them."

Ian -

Were you concerned about the quality of the run-off water, i.e., salt, lawn chemicals, motor oil, etc?

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
Caves Valley he an artificial creek.  The 9th or 18th (they switch 9s) has a creek from the green that runs down the right side of the fairway.  Water is pumped to the top of the creek.   Fazio. 

That sounds like the Fazio Canyons course at Barton Creek that has a creek down the right edge of the steeply uphill par 4.  Same plan I'm sure, there's no natural source of running water out there.  It has a series of babbles that make it one big rippling fountain. 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »
Were you concerned about the quality of the run-off water, i.e., salt, lawn chemicals, motor oil, etc?

The source is groundwater - so we were not - but it was tested to make sure it was a clean source.

We do get some overland run off through that same "creek" that can have salts and trace elements from the University, but there's nothing we can do about that. We were getting that before too.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Carl Johnson

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
You can see it again today (on TV or in person): the small "creek" water feature falling down the left side of the 18th fairway at the Quail Hollow Club.  Yesterday it got both Mickelson and Simpson (and possibly others).

On a different subject at Quail Hollow, this year's tournament is the first time I've seen reworked no. 16, which now doglegs down hill left to the lake.  The commentators seem to love it.  I'm not so sure, myself.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:57:50 AM by Carl Johnson »

Sam Krume

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »
This side of the pond and as its the week of the BMW PGA Championship, the one that really springs to mind is the west course at Wentworth. Ernie put a new stream straight across and infront of the 18th green..since its inception it has been tinkered with as when it was first put in, it was met with a chorus of disapproval.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back