News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Scott Macpherson
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:28:01 PM »
Architect, author and GCAer Scott Macpherson is this month's Feature Interview. Born in New Zealand of Scottish descent, and now a resident of Scotland, he brings great perspective to my favorite golfing regions of both hemispheres.

His first book St Andrews, The Evolution of Old Course is that rarest of breeds: an immensely important book that is extremely enjoyable to peruse. For years now, I thought it was sold out as copies sporadically pop up on the web for $400 and higher. Happily, it is still available, with the last copies exclusively sold by the Links Trust in St Andrews and its on-line store:

http://www.standrews.com/Shop/Golf-Gifts/Greetings-Cards?skunumber=71056

When I ordered my copy, the shipping cost pushed the price to just over $100 US.

Scott's detailed, fold-out account of the hole-by-hole changes to The Old Course over the decades sets the gold standard for detailed research. It explains why the word 'evolution' is in the title and that the Old Course has never been a 'moth-balled' course. Rather, change is the only constant. The entire book is nothing short of enthralling; can there be a more interesting subject in golf architecture?! I think not and I am reminded of Ron Whitten's Feature Interview where he stated, “The only true influential course I can think of is the Old Course at St. Andrews. Everything in golf architecture is pretty much either a reaction to it, or a reaction against it.”

Scott's latest, Golf's Royal Clubs, has won the ING ‘best author’ award at their 22nd Annual Awards in 2015, and is currently shortlisted at the Cross British Sports Book Awards for Best Illustrated book, and for the Murdoch Medal in the British Golf Collectors Society Awards. It can be ordered through the R&A, or is available in the United Kingdom at Waterstones bookshops.

Having visited 57 of 66 of those existing golf clubs that have gained the royal title from the British Royal Family, he has surely set a record! I have Sir Peter Allen's 1989 effort on the same subject (though it includes those golf clubs that claim the royal title from non-British Royal Families also) and some royals possess courses that 'only a mother could love.' Yet, Scott’s writing, ability to excellently illustrate his books, and passion for the game (and people) makes it a bright, lively affair.

Scott wants to be known more for his golf designs than for his writing. Regarding his royal book, he notes, 'I saw a number of really neat design features on the royal courses - perhaps some I can apply to my own work.' Surely the same applies in spades from all that he saw and gleaned in compiling the St. Andrews tome? No surprise that writing and design can dovetail so nicely.

The photographs in his Feature Interview of his remodeling work in New Zealand and his course for Close House GC outside of Newcastle, England suggest that he is off to a good start. Scott has a new nine-hole project close to progressing in France, however his focus is a project with Sandy Lyle in South Lanarkshire that is in pretty countryside between Glasgow and Edinburgh; my daughter and I commented on such as we trained it back and forth between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I imagine that Scott will respond periodically to questions/comments - have fun with this month's Feature Interview!

Best,

Niall C

Re: Feature Interview with Scott Macpherson
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:19:30 AM »
A terrific interview from one of the good guys. I had the pleasure of playing North Berwick with Scott last year in the company of Martin Bonnar and Tony Muldoon. As well as being great company, he knocked it round in 2 over while making it look effortless and also while fielding questions from the three of us.

His take on classic courses was refreshing to read and seemed to me to contain a lot of sound advice.

And as a south Lanarkshire boy I'm particularly looking forward to Scott's latest development getting off the ground.

Ran - well done, good choice of interviewee.

Niall

GLawson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »
I greatly enjoyed Scott's description of Paraparaumu.  It's very low key and in an understated part of Wellington but once you tee off, the links fun is incredible!

C. Sturges

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
A great interview Ran and Scott!  Looks like I will be wanting to get a new book in the future!  Also sounds like I need to add a couple more courses to my wish list.
Thanks,
chris

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »
 Scott did you take down the praise from Peter Alliss? When commenting on last years Open he described it in glowing terms.

Best wishes.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Hi Tony,

Golf's Royal Clubs is a celebration of those unique golf clubs that have received the royal title from the British Royal Family. I am delighted that the book has been well received by a number of people, including of course the wonderful Peter Alliss. My impression about the praise received is that people are interested to learn more about these clubs, where they are, and when and how they gained the title. Having accessed previously hidden information, and then including the maps of the all the golf courses connected to the royal clubs was a lot of work, but the maps are a feature that has also brought the book strong positive comment, and is indeed much of the reason the book is shortlisted in the British Sport Book Awards (winners to be announced in June).

My hope for the book is that it becomes regarded as a respected reference book on the topic of royal clubs. My aspirations for it now, are however, irrelevant. The book will find its place, and I'll be content in the knowledge that I did my best to shine some light on an intriguing and complex subject.

Scott

PS- Hope your golf is going well.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
Would Oreti Sands be the best most southerly course in the world, ie anywhere better that's more southerly?

Certainly looks interesting from the photos. Anyone able to post some more O-S course photos?

Atb
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:29:28 PM by Thomas Dai »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
I enjoyed the interview. In light of how many here seem to view changes to the Old Course as heresy, I thought this was Scott's most interesting comment, made regarding his research on the history of the Old Course:

"I was amazed just how much the Old Course had changed."

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 04:52:49 AM »
Hi David,

Yes, its changed quite a bit. In the last few weeks I have just been reviewing some old plans of TOC and I think the links has less bunkers on it now than it has had at anytime in the last 100 years. The current count is 110, and in 1908 is was 112. However I have a yardage book from 1932 that indicates at that time there were 118 bunkers across the course. It's food for thought indeed.

Scott

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
Excellent interview and it was great to learn more about Scott's work and writings.

I love Scott's sense of humor when discussing Oreti Sands:

After the original architect died, the next chap in charge died too. The course was eventually finished, but it had some incongruous elements – perhaps due to a lack of design supervision continuity. Greg and I were able to survive long enough to add some new holes, discard some of the less cultured ones, and renumber the links.

Well done!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back