News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

PGA Tour Pros Talking Design - Video
« on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:04 PM »
I was surfing for more videos to add to the archive (http://tinyurl.com/GCAvideo) and I came across this doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFdVgOMdOo

Thought it might be fun to throw this out to be dissected.  Key takeaway for me, when you are looking for an "expert" opinion, be very careful about who you decide to ask.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Matthew Petersen

Re: PGA Tour Pros Talking Design - Video
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:48 AM »
Really I don't think this is so bad. Keegan doesn't start off with promise, but a lot of the rest is bland and predictable but not anything I would disagree with too much. Guys like variety of lengths and shots and prefer strategic holes.

I mean, they might just be saying that because they have a feeling it's the right thing to say, or their idea of "strategic" might be entirely different than mine.

And I have to say, I'm not that surprised by it. These guys play a lot of golf and will play many courses 5-6 times a week every year. A bowling alley style course isn't going to be appealing for them any more than for me.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
Asking Tour pros to talk about architecture is like asking attorneys to discuss the fineries of courtroom design.  They really don't care.  They just work there!

WW

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:33:37 PM »
Disagree, Wade. Most lawyers know the architecture of courtrooms inside and out. Many like to, all have to.

But I agree with the general point, although I'd say it depends in part on whom you ask. Obviously, Geoff Ogilvy (not interviewed) will give a much different answer than Dustin Johnson (interviewed too much).

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
Obviously, Geoff Ogilvy (not interviewed) will give a much different answer than Dustin Johnson (interviewed too much).

Yes, but outside Mr. Ogilvy there just isn't much out there.

Most of these guys care about making money, not about anticipating or enjoying the round in other terms (including those that we such much enjoy).  They determine distance, pick line, hit shot, and repeat.

WW
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:38:07 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Sam Krume

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
Watched the video. Keegan seems to make up a new word for the English language. Go watch at 4.18 but make sure you press the cc button on the video!!!! It's great....

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
Keegan seems to make up a new word for the English language.

If you're talking about "strategery," our last president beat him to it.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:26 PM »
Frank Nobilo is the poster child for vapid gca commentary.
Two days in a row he has gushed over the greenness of Innsbruck which looks like a sloppy green slopfest (I was there a week before and it was)
as well as the white bunkers and how great they "define" everything and are in" great condition"
The electric lush green rough me want to mow Augusta's "second cut"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back