News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: BALLYHACK GC hole by hole new ninth hole see reply 345
« Reply #350 on: April 01, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
The new tee on #9 is a terrific change.  Lester did the work himself last November and the hole was closed (played as a par three) through the winter to allow grow in.

The right side was raised significantly (probably 12 or more feet) and the bunker is certainly in play if the player hits driver.  As many of you recall, driver wasn't really an option before (unless the player was trying to fly the old hell bunker (a crazy play that rarely paid off)).  Now, a drive hit near the bunker will funnel around it and down a speed slot, leaving a decision about whether to go for the green.  A drive to the left side of the fairway doesn't run out and leaves a more blind second.

I've only played it a few times since it reopened as a par five and conditions have been on the wet side (thanks to watering following aerification).  The change means lots of new choice, though, as opposed to the old design that pretty much required the player to lay up short of the old bunker.

I haven't hit a shot from the new bunker but I think the lip is just high enough to cast doubt on the shot.  It's not an automatic layup but going for the green (or trying to nearly reach it) will be a brave play.

This winter brought other changes, too, including a redo of the bunker in front of the second green and a big modification to the bunker in front of the eighth green.

WW
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:15:02 AM by Wade Whitehead »

JBovay

Re: BALLYHACK GC hole by hole new ninth hole see reply 345
« Reply #351 on: April 01, 2020, 11:38:01 AM »
Very cool, the changes seem like they really improve the hole. On the old version, it was not just the hell bunker that took driver out of my hands but the risk associated with extreme slope to the right of the fairway (a bit like Calamity Corner at Portrush). As others have said, this change will make driver a more reasonable option and bring in more risk (on a miss in any direction) and more potential rewards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back