News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: The final resting place of the greats..
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »
Bobby Jones and his wife are buried at Oakland Cemetery in an old part of downtown Atlanta. The cemetery includes Confederate dead from the Battle of Atlanta. It was once where Atlanta's 'society' all bought plots. Some of their tombs are magnificent.

There is a tradition of leaving golf balls on Jones' grave.  I was there last summer and there were a couple dozen golf balls scatted around his marker.

Bob

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
I have scanned the Hogan service program ( 3 pages, 3 images ) into my computer. Can someone instruct me how to post this on GCA ? I thought the members would like to see it but I'm pretty dumb , computer wise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

John Burnes

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
Good stuff guys.  Pete, message me and I'll take care of it.  I'd very much like to see Hogan!

John Burnes

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »
One of the best, via New England, and we of course try to take ownership of him (like Ben Franklin) down here in Philly, William S Flynn.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 01:36:05 AM »
Not his resting place, but this is the home of Dr Alister MacKenzie during the time that he was active as a golf course architect in the British Isles - Moor Allerton Lodge.  The photo dates from 1951, but there is little evidence that anything had changed much in the twenty years since MacKenzie had been there.

And this is Moor Allerton Lodge today, a pub/club called the Corner House.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:40:37 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

John Burnes

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
From Camden County, the great George Crump.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »
To be honest, I prefer the photos of the houses or offices where the greats worked, rather than the more morbid tombstones!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Kelly

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
There is a tradition of leaving golf balls on Jones' grave.  I was there last summer and there were a couple dozen golf balls scatted around his marker.

Bob --

Best typo of the week!

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Dan,

My first wife was not particularly humorous, but once at the Wolf Center up in Ely, MN, the guide explained they used the term "scat" because scientists were tired of being call "poopologists."  She responded, "What does it stand for?  An acronym for Shit, Crap, And Turds?"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

BCrosby

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
Touche, Dan.

Bob

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 07:45:34 AM »
John

Send me an email at cypress1516@aol.com and I'll send you the scans to post. I'm having trouble joining Photobucket . I have a dinosaur of a computer and I can't seem to connect.

Thanks John, I know the good people at GCA will enjoy the Hogan service program.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

John Burnes

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
W Ben Hogan service program via Pete:

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
John

Your help is much appreciated.

One odd note about this service was that Byron Nelson was not invited to the private invitation only service.

Also, it was a bit surprising that Tommy Bolt and Ben were close friends . You probably could not get two players so differant on the personality spectrum. It would be like Stricker and Daly being buddies.

Valerie Hogan chose those that were invited.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Tommy Bolt and Dan Jenkins and Jim Murray

That must have been one helluva wake!

Thanks Pete
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
Rich

How's about Shelly Mayfield and the ' Missouri Mortician "-- Herman Kaiser ??

And you know that Henry Picard would have been there if he had been kicken'

J_ Crisham

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
I am most surprised about the absence of his lifelong friend and fellow Texan , Jackie Burke. Hogan and Jackie were pretty tight- maybe not as close as Demaret was, but for years Hogan came to Houston for events at Champions.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:25 PM »
Mr. Crisham ,

I have a good friend in Fort Worth , an attorney , and a fellow USGA official who told me that Jack was invited and was there . I don't know if Robin was there. I met Mr's Hogan on two occasions , once at the debut of the Hogan exhibit at Golf House and initially at the Colonial in the 80's and she was much like Mr. Hogan , very precise and particular so I don't know if Robin was invited. Would have to ask Jack.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
I am most surprised about the absence of his lifelong friend and fellow Texan , Jackie Burke. Hogan and Jackie were pretty tight- maybe not as close as Demaret was, but for years Hogan came to Houston for events at Champions.

Jack,

I'm quite sure that Mr Burke was there.  On topic with Hogan and the Champions boys - this letter from Hogan is one of my all time favorites...

J_ Crisham

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 03:24:05 PM »

Jack,

I'm quite sure that Mr Burke was there.  On topic with Hogan and the Champions boys - this letter from Hogan is one of my all time favorites...

Kyle,  that's pretty cool- is that on one of the walls at Champions? Of course Hogan and Demaret never had to face you and Drew in a fourball match at Champions:)

John Burnes

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
The great A.W. Tillinghast (also near Philadelphia Cricket), with his family in Philly. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back