News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Frey, PGA

The latest issue of PGA Magazine Industry Insider is now live and I wanted to share one of its articles with the GCA community. It's about Tom Doak's restoration of Medinah Country Club's No.1 course.

http://www.pgaindustryinsider.com/i/368314/8
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:23:05 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Garland Bayley

Re: From PGA Magazine Industry Insider: Doak's Medinah No. 1 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
I don't believe that's Tom in the picture.

I think they faked it.

Dead give away would be the clothes and the equipment.

Edit:
Well since he's wearing the same clothes on the next page, they must have given them to him like the people at PGA West did for Pete Dye everyday while he was working there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:28:51 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
I don't believe that's Tom in the picture.

I think they faked it.

Dead give away would be the clothes and the equipment.

Edit:
Well since he's wearing the same clothes on the next page, they must have given them to him like the people at PGA West did for Pete Dye everyday while he was working there.

The golf shirt was a freebie, but the blazer is mine.  I just try to avoid events where I will be expected to wear it.  They actually wanted me to be in a coat and tie, but I got out of that by pointing out that I had to hit the opening tee shot.

I do have a new driver and 5-wood, which I bought last year.  I think I've only played 15 rounds with them.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
Are there no chainsaws in Chicago?

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »

I'm sure Mr. Doak and Medinah had very good reasons to keep as many tress as they did (flooding?), but it is interesting to see how much different the hole has changed since this photo was taken, compared to today:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:25:43 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
I believe Tom has noted that he had the ability to take down as many trees as he wished during the project.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
I'm loving the before cross bunker.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
It is nigh impossible to describe how much fun this new iteration is, especially for those who suffered through rounds on the rather tired predecessor.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »

I'm sure Mr. Doak and Medinah had very good reasons to keep as many tress as they did (flooding?), but it is interesting to see how much different the hole has changed since this photo was taken, compared to today:

The problem is 'and Medinah'. Get Green Committees and Boards involved and you have a faux restoration.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
JB:

Ever played there?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
No 3 yes. No 1 no. A good friend of mine is a member and he is very pleased. That being said I think the over exuberance of Boards and Green Committees mess up restorations.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
No 3 yes. No 1 no. A good friend of mine is a member and he is very pleased. That being said I think the over exuberance of Boards and Green Committees mess up restorations.

There may be merit in that belief, but the work on Course One was not a restoration. It was a renovation or a rebuild. So to criticize it because the new camel bunker isn't as cool as the original is funny. The boards and committees at Medinah have f'ed up #3 on a repetitive basis but they pretty much let Doak get his vision implemented.  Get out there and play One. You won't care to go back to 3 unless you have all sorts of game.

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

There may be merit in that belief, but the work on Course One was not a restoration. It was a renovation or a rebuild. So to criticize it because the new camel bunker isn't as cool as the original is funny. The boards and committees at Medinah have f'ed up #3 on a repetitive basis but they pretty much let Doak get his vision implemented.  Get out there and play One. You won't care to go back to 3 unless you have all sorts of game.

Agree JB there are still too many trees but Terry is correct this course (good or bad) is now fully a Doak, might as well have been a new build.

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Square tees looking good!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 02:34:55 AM »
The club has a new camel logo for Course Number One, so they asked us to re-shape the camel bunker to look like the new logo.  It had morphed quite a bit over the years; it looked more like the bear on the Klondyke Bar, before we did our work to it.

We took down hundreds of trees, but mostly further out in the middle of the course.  There is no way they would have let me take down everything past the oaks down the right side of #1, so I didn't ask. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »
Aaron:  the fairways are very generous.   The trees are not a problem and the remaining trees should serve as an example to the other courses in the area on how to cut the forests that too many courses have become. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back