News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

A Dream Course is posted ...
« on: June 08, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
... under the heading Great Golf Holes in the Best of Golf section.

Prompted in part to help fill the newly created Best of Golf section, I have compiled what trailblazer Pat Ward-Thomas did nearly 40 years ago – an eclectic 18 hole course limited to one hole per course. In my case, I keep it to holes pre-WWII.

Over the past fifteen years my interest in this exercise waned as I came to appreciate how important routing is to the overall equation. The sacrifices that architects are forced to make, the ‘least bad’ connector holes, on and on. A ‘best’ course seemed silly as it ignored crucial factors that determine the ultimate success of a design. Plus, PWT's finishers of 17 at CPC and 18 at PB are GREAT but I have never seen a piece of coastal property that lets you have an ocean flip/flop quite like that! Anyway, if we weren’t dreamers (Does my swing more resemble Ernie's or Adam's?), we wouldn’t play this game which is so belligerent toward our self-esteem.

I probably should take more time and included additional architects – criminally, Tillinghast isn’t represented, though his 2nd at Somerset, 4th at Bethpage and 10th at SFGC all get shout outs. Sadly, one criteria was the availability of a good photo. A follow-up to those superb diagrams in the World Atlas of Golf with sub-standard photos was not something I wanted my name beneath.

As anyone knows who has done it, this exercise is exasperating and unending; so many great holes! While 7 at Cape Breton, 8 at Prairie Dunes and 9 at Quaker Ridge are clinically better holes than the three I selected, they would be too demanding for everyday play combined with all my other selections. My ‘course’ is emphatically not intended to be a collection of postcard holes with the difficulty meter turned up until the golfer combusts. I think I would become a better golfer by tackling my course every day; a more formidable collection would dishearten. Favorite design features naturally abound - blind shots, wide fairways, central hazards, run away greens, false fronts, etc. Plenty of my greens are open in front so sandy soil dominates. Yet, for every rule, there is a 15th at Oakmont.

Nothing can beat the PWT original – I accept that - but compiling this was still great fun. In fact, it was so enjoyable that I have started working on a modern compilation. Will it end 17 Castle Stuart/18 Kapalua or 17 Kapalua/18 Castle Stuart? Who knows? Who cares! Lots of neat ways to approach this exercise. In fact, I think we should urge Sean Arble to do one only he can – the 18 best holes from the UK that none of us know!

Mine is highly personalized – YHC means more to the Morrissetts than Fishers or Yale so I used a hole from there at the exclusion of the others. I have played every hole more than once which aided me in getting comfortable with its inclusion. The only discouraging part is that FAR more personal favorites are excluded than included  :-[.

As for now, be damned with all the head scratching - I end the madness and post the list!

Best,
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:04:25 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Rich Goodale

Re: A Dream Course is posted ...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Good stuff, Ran.

My dream finishing hole is a non-existant par-5 amalgam of the 16th at Dornoch with the 18th at Brora, finishing under the modest but cheerful clubhouse of the Old Links at Strathwhin.  I call it "The Stairway to Heaven."

Thanks

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Sabino

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »
Ran - Really great post, some of your best and most inspired prose, which is saying something. A great pleasure to read and to stimulate ideas about mine, which would include the par five 14th at Baltimore Five Farms, a Tillinghast gem, and Royal Adelaide's driveable par four 3rd and Kawana's par five 15th and Morfontaine's Valliere course #4... So many great holes, so little time  ;D. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Is there an eclectic 18 thread out there?  This is one of my favorite exercises in golf architecture nerd-dom, and I always loved both the PWT list and the Dan Jenkins eclectic 18 book.

I really enjoyed the inclusion of Yeamans Hall's opening hole.  That is one of my favorite holes I've ever played, opener or otherwise.  I can't say I've ever seen a hole like elsewhere.  The combination of the soft dogleg right, entrance road crossing the fairway, Principal's Nose formation, and the wicked double plateau green is just phenomenal.  The rest of the course isn't too bad either.

2 at Garden City: there has to be a better second hole somewhere else, right?  It's a neat short par three, but I much prefer the Eden finishing hole, which has both the more fearsome hazard (the absurdly deep Strath bunker) and the more interesting green.  A few holes that I've played that I would rank ahead of it:

North Berwick
Dismal River White
Huntercombe

And a couple of par threes I would place on the same level:

Woking
Royal Dornoch

My stab at an eclectic 18 from what I've played:

1. Yeamans Hall, Par 4, 420.  I agree with Ran on this one.
2. Dismal River (White), Par 4, 450.  My number one underrated golf hole that I've played.
3. Ocean Course at Kiawah, Par 4, 320.  I love this volcano green.
4. Oak Hill (West), Par 3, 145.  My favorite short par three, and it beats out Woking by a hair.
5. The Country Club, Par 4, 410.  I prefer this one to the more highly regarded 3rd.
6. Deal, Par 4, 320.  It's similar to the 3rd at Kiawah Island, but it has to be here.
7. Ballyneal, Par 4, 290.  My favorite short par four I have played.  I could spend an hour putting around on that green.
8. Ballyneal, Par 5, 515.  Great uphill architecture and a wicked green.
9. Yale, Par 3, 220.  The most thrilling long par three I've played.

10. Royal Dornoch, Par 3, 150.  Dornoch is a tough one to fit onto this list, but this is a really cool par three.
11. Leatherstocking, Par 5, 570.  Thrilling rolling coaster of a par five, and the third shot gives you all kinds of options.
12. Swinley Forest, Par 4, 460.  Phenomenal second shot and a standout hole on a great course.
13. North Berwick, Par 4, 360.  The Pit.  Need I say more?
14. Oak Hill (East), Par 4, 320.  I've never played a tougher 320 yard par four, and it's the most "Ross" of any hole there.
15. Morgan Hill, Par 5, 540.  Great shelf green.  Oh, and the split fairway, centerline bunkers, and ski slope drop on the second are also fun.
16. The Addington, Par 5, 510.  Thrilling par five in the midst of a great stretch of golf.
17. Prestwick, Par 4, 410.  15, 16, or 17 could have been on this list for the greensites alone.
18. Garden City, Par 3, 190.  I've always been a fan of the par three finisher.

Best course not included in the list: Streamsong Red.  7 and 16 would have made good inclusions, but the Biarritz at Yale is better  ;)
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
I was really happy to see the 12th at Askernish on that list.  I think it is one of the very best par 5s I've ever played.  I love the dual fairways, each with distinct risk and rewards.  And I love the green that falls away.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
Is there an eclectic 18 thread out there?  This is one of my favorite exercises in golf architecture nerd-dom, and I always loved both the PWT list and the Dan Jenkins eclectic 18 book.

I really enjoyed the inclusion of Yeamans Hall's opening hole.  That is one of my favorite holes I've ever played, opener or otherwise.  I can't say I've ever seen a hole like elsewhere.  The combination of the soft dogleg right, entrance road crossing the fairway, Principal's Nose formation, and the wicked double plateau green is just phenomenal.  The rest of the course isn't too bad either.

2 at Garden City: there has to be a better second hole somewhere else, right?  It's a neat short par three, but I much prefer the Eden finishing hole, which has both the more fearsome hazard (the absurdly deep Strath bunker) and the more interesting green.  A few holes that I've played that I would rank ahead of it:

North Berwick
Dismal River White
Huntercombe

Woking
Royal Dornoch

2. Dismal River (White), Par 4, 450.  My number one underrated golf hole that I've played.
4. Oak Hill (West), Par 3, 145.  My favorite short par three, and it beats out Woking by a hair.
5. The Country Club, Par 4, 410.  I prefer this one to the more highly regarded 3rd.
6. Deal, Par 4, 320.  It's similar to the 3rd at Kiawah Island, but it has to be here.
7. Ballyneal, Par 4, 290.  My favorite short par four I have played.  I could spend an hour putting around on that green.

10. Royal Dornoch, Par 3, 150.  Dornoch is a tough one to fit onto this list, but this is a really cool par three.
11. Leatherstocking, Par 5, 570.  Thrilling rolling coaster of a par five, and the third shot gives you all kinds of options.
12. Swinley Forest, Par 4, 460.  Phenomenal second shot and a standout hole on a great course.
14. Oak Hill (East), Par 4, 320.  I've never played a tougher 320 yard par four, and it's the most "Ross" of any hole there.
15. Morgan Hill, Par 5, 540.  Great shelf green.  Oh, and the split fairway, centerline bunkers, and ski slope drop on the second are also fun.
16. The Addington, Par 5, 510.  Thrilling par five in the midst of a great stretch of golf.
17. Prestwick, Par 4, 410.  15, 16, or 17 could have been on this list for the greensites alone.

Best course not included in the list: Streamsong Red.  7 and 16 would have made good inclusions, but the Biarritz at Yale is better  ;)

Ran's list is pre-WWII. 

John Sabino

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
My pre-WWII list, which was harder to do than it looks especially trying to keep it relatively balanced, although it ended up both unbalanced and relatively short, just like me. My yardages are form the white tees:

1. Prestwick. Par 4, 346 yards, watch the high slice off the tee!
2. Pine Valley. Par 4, 348 yards, plays longer than the yardage, great uphill shot, hard to hold green
3. Durban. Par 4, 450 yards, high elevated tee plays through the bush
4. Morfontaine Valliere, par 3, 150 yards, magnificent downhill shot into a sea of fern and heather
5. Mid Ocean, Par 4, 402 yards, Cape hole, a Macdonald masterpiece, bite off as much as you dare on the tee shot
6. Sunningdale (Old), Par 4, 386 yards, A drive over the heather, brilliant use of cross-bunkering
7. Sunningdale (Old), par 4, 379 yards, blind tee shot, big dog leg, elevated green, as scenic as it gets inland
8. Prairie Dunes, Par 4, 417 yards, uphill wavy fairway, big dogleg, strategic and difficult
9. Maidstone, Par 4, 370 yards, plays through the dunes to a tough elevated green

10. Riviera, par 4, 301 yards, short and strategic
11. Merion, par 4, 349 yards, left side of the fairway is the right side of the green, Bobby's Grand Slam victory hole
12. Augusta National, par 3, 155 yards, you all know it, over the water, narrow green and my birdie hole!
13. Augusta National, par 5, 455 yards, beyond the beauty are great strategic elements
14. Baltimore Five Farms, Par 5, 563 yards, You have to think on every shot, beautiful climax down and then up the hill
15. Cypress Point, Par 3, 120 yards, The walk, then the sexiest hole in golf
16. Cypress Point, Par 3, 218 yards, 'nuff said about this hole already
17. National Golf Links, Par 4, 350 yards, Similar to Riviera's 10th, great risk/reward/strategy with the bay in the background
18. Pebble Beach, Par 5, 509 yards, Everything a finishing hole should have

Total yardage of only 6,268 since I love shorter risk/reward par fours. I actually don't agree with Ran's premise that an early par three spreads out play, I have found it backs it up, thus my par three is a bit later in the opening. Hole 10 proved the biggest dilemma. Hard to beat Riviera but Sunningdale Old and Royal Melbourne West are close seconds.  I hope I didn't break any ideal/eclectic course rules by have three back-to-back holes at Sunningdale, Augusta and Cypress and back-to-back par threes and fives (for permissibility study Cypress Point!). The designed who ended up with the most holes was Alister Mackenzie.
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Kyle Casella

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
Before I even looked at your list, I was thinking 10 at Riviera and 11 at Essex would be the anchors of my back nine. Great call!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »

North Berwick
Dismal River White
Huntercombe

Woking
Royal Dornoch

Ran's list is pre-WWII. 
No it's not.  He included the 12th at Askernish which is a 21st century golf hole.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

North Berwick
Dismal River White
Huntercombe

Woking
Royal Dornoch

Ran's list is pre-WWII. 
No it's not.  He included the 12th at Askernish which is a 21st century golf hole.

Askernish wasn't built recently, it was discovered and restored recently.  It's not only pre-WWII, it's pre-WWI. 

As always I could be wrong, but the "pre-WWII" quote was Ran's, not mine. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
Bill,

My understanding is that there was a course at Askernish pre-war but that the chances that that course followed the same routing as the modern version are slim.  Askernish looks a wonderful place, with a course I'm very keen to play, evoking a type of golf we don't have enough of but I believe that it is stretching the truth to argue that it is a pre-2000 course.

No doubt if I'm wrong people will say.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »
Mark is 100 per cent correct. There are a substantial number of greens at Askernish that we believe are located in the same places as Old Tom's original ones - the short par four eighth and the par three fourteenth are the most obvious examples, but the only documentary evidence of this is a map of the site from when it was divided into crofts in the early 1920s. The routing as it (mostly) exists today was identified by Gordon Irvine, Martin Ebert, Chris Haspell, Ralph Thomson, Donald MacLeod and me in March 2006. Holes 11-13 were inserted into that routing the following winter by Gordon, so the twelfth is a Gordon Irvine hole. Put it this way: how likely is it that Old Tom would have laid out a 590 yard hole in the early 1890s on a course that was intended to be played by the holiday guests of the laird? Great hole though.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
18 hole Dream Course?  Wow! Talk about giving a starving man a menu! :) I could do ten of those...we all could probably!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
It has taken me a little time to reply to this thread, but I believe it will be worth it.

A few pages from the chapter entitled "The Ideal Golf Course" (p 44-50) from Wethered & Simpson's "The Architectural Side of Golf" (1929) - a counter point to the position of Pat Ward-Thomas.

/\/\/\

OCCASIONALLY a discussion is raised to decide which are the best eighteen holes in the world, or preferably in the British Isles. But a further question is whether anyone after going to the fatigue of composing the ideal course would care to play over it. For ourselves, we have gone to the trouble of considering over thirty alternatives, and have no hesitation whatever in saying that purely for practical purposes it would possess few attractions.

Such discussions however have a certain value, since they make an appeal to the imagination. It is an amusing method of expressing what we can never hope to realise, quite apart from the question whether it would be desirable to do so. And in addition it is an excellent test of criticism upon a subject on which there can never be an agreement between any two students of the game. We do not yearn for ideal courses to play on; we discuss them merely as agreeable arguments on which pleasantly to differ. Whenever the attempt has been made to carry out the construction of this so-called "ideal course" by making a series of facsimiles of superlative holes at considerable expense, the experiment, although interesting in a way, has rarely proved anything but a cold and lifeless failure.

The reason is not far to seek. The point was emphasised by Ruskin many years ago that the demand for perfection was invariably a "sign of a misunderstanding of the ends of art." As for Architecture (in his day such a thing as the minor art of golf architecture was almost unthinkable), he even went as far as to lay down the seeming paradox that "the work of man cannot be good unless it is imperfect." The application of this principle does not imply that all imperfect golf courses are necessarily admirable; but it does suggest that in the absence, fortunately, of any existing course that confounds all criticism, some imperfect courses are amongst the most interesting and amusing to play over.

The fact is that we could never live up to the ideal. We should feel too uncomfortable, too much out of our natural element of imperfection. Imagine, for instance, a repetition of eighteen holes, all of the supreme excellence of the most exceptional hole we can think of at the moment - the Seventeenth at St. Andrews. The strain of it all! Eighteen tee shots of the same intensity or eighteen approaches which courted disaster in the same dire form! It would to a certainty break our hearts and leave us nervous wrecks or golf lunatics in real earnest. In fact, it would be no ideal course for us, however much theoretically we might admire it. We must be allowed to ease the tension at occasional intervals for our sanity, so that our brains may cool and our hearts expand with renewed life and freedom. We must count on at the very least one indifferent hole in a round, to be quite on the safe side, we will allow an additional half of indifference as well, for the sake of extra relief. The course we think of should be noble in spite of its defects, as perfection throughout would be a monument of chilly precision incapable of inspiring us or of stimulating our jaded imagination. Is it not true to say that where we cannot criticise we experience a difficulty in feeling enthusiastic? Yet it must be insisted upon that every hole in the list we offer, shall be a hole of reputation; and happily there are holes of reputation to be found in abundance that are so far not above suspicion that they will relieve us from the burden of supreme subtlety and provide a welcome excuse for a light-hearted effort to which we may look forward.

The first thought that occurs is whether there is any existing course in the British Isles that as nearly as possible approaches the ideal - as near the ideal, in fact, as "makes no matter" - because this would partly help to solve the problem. If we were invited to make one definite choice, much as we should prefer to be excused the invitation, we should without hesitation give our vote for Saunton in North Devon. The level of excellence there may be, if anything, a shade monotonous, a little lacking in the quality of variety which is perhaps the greatest essential of all. Perhaps too we feel that there is not quite that need for a continual mental agility that may be the quality we look for most in a great course; and, to be even more hypercritical, we should regard the beauty of the floral display about the links at Saunton as almost too luxurious to ensure that classic severity which is usually associated with the rigour of the game.

Fifteen years ago, without, a second thought, we should have said that St. Andrews was our ideal. Today the position is different; the run of the ball due to the closer quality of the turf reduces much of the subtlety of the folds short of the green and permits of the mashie-niblick being brought into play, with a shot which at an earlier period in history would have earned its just reward.

But whatever may be said of St. Andrews as it is at the present day, it still remains a model of architecture at its best, a model never again likely to repeat itself. The form and structure will always remain an example of strategic golf which has successfully resisted every attempt towards "improvement," rash experiments which would have ruined what has been handed down to us as a precious legacy.

Another preliminary question which cannot be ignored is: What course do we like best? In other words, if we were condemned for the rest of our days to play on one course only - in this country - which would it be?

Out of an experience that covers fully 600 courses, including, as we believe, every really fine course in the world, we should, without hesitation, say that our choice fell on Woking. And if it were necessary to give our reason - an invidious task in any case - it might be apposite to quote the observation of a learned Master, of the Rolls in the Court of Appeal: " I entirely agree with the decision of the learned judge in the court below, but I find myself in disagreement with all the reasons he advanced for arriving at his decision." In the same attitude of mind we should prefer to say merely "Woking" and leave the matter at that; because, to be entirely candid, there is not in our opinion a single hole on that course which could be termed of really outstanding merit, although the Second, a fine short hole of deceptive distance, comes very near to that standard of excellence. This is only another way of confessing that great golfing holes play in reality a minor part in our enjoyment. And there is another reason for our choice, which is given in Green Memories, that Woking is still "a place where the most interesting of golf can be played in decency and comfort, without crowding, without time-sheets, without Bogey." But that may be an opinion that might not commend itself to the more strictly competitive lovers of the game.

Having prepared our way by making what may be regarded as some slightly damaging admissions, it is permissible to say that the course one likes best and an ideal course can, and must be, two entirely separate things. But in the larger consideration an attempt at definition is necessary. What do we actually mean by the ideal course?

One essential we would insist on is that it should afford at least as much opportunity for mental agility as it does for physical capacity, although we are prepared to admit that this is not a view likely to commend itself to the Tiger whose physical capacity is in the ascendant.

Another essential is good visibility. In certain cases we regard blind shots as admissible; still on the whole we prefer a course each hole of which presents a problem which needs to be thought out with thoroughness in the matter of attack; and blindness is injurious to the right presentation of such problems. All the pros and cons of this or that method of arriving at a solution must, under the conditions of this enquiry, be carefully weighed in the balance.

It must be, in fact, a course that from start to finish stimulates thought and provides mental excitement. For this reason, if for no other, it must be a course not too exacting for everyday purposes. The type of hole that is seen at a glance makes little appeal. We demand the occasion when it becomes necessary to enquire into the meaning and possibly the indirect intention of the designer in order to discover whether he has a purpose he is trying to conceal. If he has, then it is our business to discover the solution.

Also, to be true to our principles, we should insist that the course as a whole should derive from the strategic rather than from the penal school of golf architecture.

And since, again, a course with any pretensions to greatness must have its imperfections, care must be taken to introduce the attractive discord. We therefore intend to include one thoroughly amusing but bad hole for the sake of variety and a brief interval of mental tranquility - the Seventeenth at Prestwick - and at least another that is open to criticism, the Sixteenth at Westward Ho! which has the obvious demerits of being a semi-blind one-shotter of under 150 yards in length.

There is, too, the need for a complete and searching test of every kind of golfing shot. We would never limit the course to holes by the sea merely because the two-shotters were played on seaside turf. On the other hand we would definitely refuse to include any two-shotters where the soil happened to be of a clay formation.

Aesthetic considerations, naturally, cannot be allowed to have any weight. If we admitted them, we might get a course we vastly preferred to play on; but the sacrifices that would have to be made would be too serious for our purpose. It is not a question of mere liking - that is our point - but of exercising a rigid discrimination as to the greatest golfing attributes.

The pity of it all is that when we have succeeded in amusing ourselves in building up the ideal course, picking and choosing wonderful holes here and there - when we have, as we fancy, completed something rather wonderful, a string of pearls we admire individually, against which nothing can be said except collectively - we shall probably find ourselves saying with feelings amounting almost to repugnance "Heaven forbid that we should be asked to play here! The strain of it would be intolerable." This is equivalent to saying that anything approaching a uniform degree of excellence is the one thing in golf which must be avoided at all cost. It smacks of standardisation, which is abhorrent when it is applied to a game with the fine versatility of golf.

To prove that a choice has not been lightly arrived at, we can point to thirty-two alternatives before arriving at a final decision, and that after regretfully having to discard such attractions as the Eighteenth at Machrihanish, the Eleventh on the new course at Walton Heath, the Sixth at Wentworth, the Fifteenth at Skegness, the Second and Fourteenth at Saunton, the Fifth at Liphook, the Sixth at Cruden Bay, and the Fourth at Dornoch. It is difficult to resist the temptation, to which critics are prone to yield, of basing a judgement on what we personally have a liking for or for some type of hole which brings out and is best suited for a favourite shot. It has therefore been necessary to exercise a restraint and a spirit of intolerance that can at times be painful to maintain; but as a result of many conflicting claims we submit an ideal British course to our readers, for what it may be felt to be worth…
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:06:57 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:27 AM »
18 hole Dream Course?  Wow! Talk about giving a starving man a menu! :) I could do ten of those...we all could probably!

You are correct, Jay. I thought the same initially. Then I realized, Ran's unstated challenge to each of us is to do "the one" that defines us. I'd be interested to see yours. I'm working on mine. Like Rory at The Open 2014, I have two key words: favor and credibility. If I can balance the two, I will have succeeded.

I plan to include only courses that I have played (Like JNC Lyon) or walked/photographed. I'll strive to include only one hole from any course. I think I can manage that. They may come out of order, as the mood and memory strike, but they will all be there in the end.

Hole #1: Yale Golf Club, New Haven, CT, USA
No gentle handshake here. Tough tee ball over a pond that foreshadows the great Biarritz 9th, then an approach to a green that is twice the size you see from the fairway. The lower, left half is hidden by that massive bunker left and the hill. I could spend a lifetime putting this green. I initially considered the 1st at Eastward Ho! and Ballyhack, until I realized that they are kindred souls and could not be separated.

Hole #4: Old Town Club, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
This hole represents the quintessence of the golf course to me. It is a reachable par five, wide at parts and narrow at others. It appears to bend and tumble from left to right, all the way from tee to green. What appears to be a swale fronting the green is a creek corridor, so don't expect a runner to come up dry. Flight that downhill pitch into the green and watch the contours take over. As a capstone, you tee off over Perry Maxwell Lane.

Hole #17: The Old Course, St. Andrews, UK
This is the one obvious choice, in my mind. It defines strategic options. The unforgivable miss is right. If you miss left (as I did) you punch up to the right and have a putt/runner up the fall line to the putting surface. That wondrous drive, where you abandon safety and go over the corner, to the unseen fairway. It's what parachuting must feel like. If you have a caddie in your group, you'll instantly know the quality of your flight and line. You round the bend and the hole opens before you. Everything about the hole you knew before you set foot on the course. To be continued...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:22:29 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »
Good stuff, Ran.

My dream finishing hole is a non-existant par-5 amalgam of the 16th at Dornoch with the 18th at Brora, finishing under the modest but cheerful clubhouse of the Old Links at Strathwhin.  I call it "The Stairway to Heaven."

Thanks

Rich

"Stairway to Heaven" is what they call the par 5 16th at Black Mesa in Santa Fe.  It is a fitting name, steeper yet than the 16th at Dornoch!

AKikuchi

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
Matthew,

That's an interesting excerpt. One thing I was struck by is how it touches on the age old dilemma between aesthetics and hole quality/strategic merit. I understand their point that the quality of a course or hole should be judged primarily by the strategic interest, shot values, etc. But the adamance of the claim that "aesthetic considerations, naturally, cannot be allowed to have any weight" seems in conflict with some of their other points.

Surely the aesthetic considerations of a hole impact ones mental approach, and can "stimulate thought" and "provide mental excitement." To envision an ideal course without considering the ebb and flow of the types of mental challenge provided by each hole seems to be to ignore a particularly appealing part of the exercise.

-Alan

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
My dream 18:

1.   Yale 1st
2.   Yale 2nd
3.   Yale 3rd
4.   Yale 4th
5.   Yale 5th
6.   Yale 6th
7.   Yale 7th
8.   Yale 8th
9.   Yale 9th
10. Yale 10th
11. Yale 11th
12. Yale 12th
13. Yale 13th
14. Yale 14th
15. Yale 15th
16. Yale 16th
17. Yale 17th
18. Yale 18th

How'd I do?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
My dream 18:

1.   Yale 1st
2.   Yale 2nd
3.   Yale 3rd
4.   Yale 4th
5.   Yale 5th
6.   Yale 6th
7.   Yale 7th
8.   Yale 8th
9.   Yale 9th
10. Yale 10th
11. Yale 11th
12. Yale 12th
13. Yale 13th
14. Yale 14th
15. Yale 15th
16. Yale 16th
17. Yale 17th
18. Yale 18th

How'd I do?

5.55%

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
My dream 18:

1.   Yale 1st
2.   Yale 2nd
3.   Yale 3rd
4.   Yale 4th
5.   Yale 5th
6.   Yale 6th
7.   Yale 7th
8.   Yale 8th
9.   Yale 9th
10. Yale 10th
11. Yale 11th
12. Yale 12th
13. Yale 13th
14. Yale 14th
15. Yale 15th
16. Yale 16th
17. Yale 17th
18. Yale 18th

How'd I do?

5.55%

Excellent, as I consider this also the perfect ratio for alcohol content of beer. Much more than that, be it beer or golf courses, and you're in the land of malt liquor and TRUMP-type courses. Respectively.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back