News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

My interview with Mike Keiser
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »
For those interested, I played golf with Mike Keiser last week at Cabot Links and we spoke at length about Coore/Crenshaw and the new Cabot Cliffs: http://canadiangolfer.com/g4g/2014/07/02/qa-with-mike-keiser-owner-of-bandon-dunescabot-links/#comment-185061
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mark_F

Re: My interview with Mike Keiser
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
I know Tom Doak for the same amount of time or longer, and I trust him, but not as much as Bill

Did you ask for an answer to this statement, Robert?

Robert Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:44:57 AM »
I asked him why he was using the same firm for several projects and that was the response I received.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
Imagine if Sand Valley ends up with 5 courses designed as follows (those mentioned in the interview):

1. C&C
2. Doak
3. Hanse
4. DeVries
5. Nuzzo

The Midwest Mashie might end up giving the Masters a run for most years an event has been held at the same site.

Interesting that he now realizes there were issues with the greens at DC and BD.  Also love the fact that he plays it forward.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:28:25 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »
"The only downside is the raters and critics saying, ‘What was Bill and Ben’s best for Keiser?’ Is this is good as their other courses?"

Good thing we don't have threads like this on GCA DG.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
Robert,

Did you consider any other manner than "Now that’s an interesting offer" to close your opening paragraph?

Writing is also a game of inches, where it comes down to each element.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
Robert,
Thank you, very interesting interview. Almost feels like we are just listening in on a conversations with his buddies.

Mike Bowen

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
Which greens at Bandon Dunes are the ones that had issues?  Also have they been changed and when were these changes implemented?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
Too bad Rod Whitman's not on Mr. Keiser's list, he did a hell of a job at both Sagebrush and Cabot Links.  The latter is the best new course I've played since Pacific Dunes. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
If I'm reading Keiser's comments correctly, and I may not be, he just got a little shorter in my eyes.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
If I'm reading Keiser's comments correctly, and I may not be, he just got a little shorter in my eyes.

Care to elaborate?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
Sure:

I trust him [Tom Doak], but not as much as Bill...

there’s nothing I can point to that he’s [Gil Hanse] done that’s exceedingly good.

Why say these things about people you've hired, and why say it on the record? But as I said, perhaps I'm misreading the meaning. Maybe it's an inside joke or some sort of bizarre motivational effort.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Why say these things about people you've hired, and why say it on the record? But as I said, perhaps I'm misreading the meaning. Maybe it's an inside joke or some sort of bizarre motivational effort.

Mark:

I'm not offended by Mike's responses -- he's just responding to a question that invites a problematic response.  But, that's only because I take his response to mean that he trusts Bill most from a commercial perspective.  And who wouldn't?  I certainly don't think it's a motivational effort.  Gil and I aren't motivated by trying to beat out Bill Coore, any more than Bill is motivated trying to beat out us.  We are all just trying to do great work as we see it.

However, I have pointed out to Mike that some of his responses lately [before this last article] could be taken out of context and seen to cast negative light on both myself and Gil.  I find it really odd, because when we were building Pacific Dunes, Mike was so careful about what any of us said to the press ... he didn't want me talking about the wind and how it affected the design, for example, because readers might see a "windy" place as a negative.  ::)  Maybe so, but I always wondered what they would think when they got there.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
Mark - you already know about:

"Minimalism means never having to say you're sorry" -- The Golfer's Collection greeting card line

Well, that remarkably succesful collection introduces a new card only every six months. The next one is now out, and reads:

"Par is but the whisper of expectation, while money shouts out just about whatever it wants"

Peter

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:55:37 PM by PPallotta »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
Amen, Peter.

Tom, the way I was reading Keiser's comments, they didn't cast a negative light on Hanse or on you but on him. But it sounds like I'm reading too much into them, so I'll stop.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
I'd say neither a joke nor a motivational effort -- just a really honest take on his opinion. He'll use Hanse, but admits he doesn't know Gil as well as Bill and Ben, which means, in turn, he doesn't know what the final result will be. There was a discussion of Boston GC at the same time, as Bill Coore was sitting at the table with me.
Sure:

I trust him [Tom Doak], but not as much as Bill...

there’s nothing I can point to that he’s [Gil Hanse] done that’s exceedingly good.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
Tom: That would be my take as well. I asked the question in regards to whether he felt the need to foster new talent and bring different visions to his projects, and that was the response I received.

Mark:

I'm not offended by Mike's responses -- he's just responding to a question that invites a problematic response.  But, that's only because I take his response to mean that he trusts Bill most from a commercial perspective.  And who wouldn't?  I certainly don't think it's a motivational effort.  Gil and I aren't motivated by trying to beat out Bill Coore, any more than Bill is motivated trying to beat out us.  We are all just trying to do great work as we see it.

However, I have pointed out to Mike that some of his responses lately [before this last article] could be taken out of context and seen to cast negative light on both myself and Gil.  I find it really odd, because when we were building Pacific Dunes, Mike was so careful about what any of us said to the press ... he didn't want me talking about the wind and how it affected the design, for example, because readers might see a "windy" place as a negative.  ::)  Maybe so, but I always wondered what they would think when they got there.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
I thought, "Wow, I better play half way decently."

But I did think it was an interesting offer. Never thought of saying no. I've known Mike for almost 10 years, but it is only the second time I've spent an extended period of time with him.

Robert,

Did you consider any other manner than "Now that’s an interesting offer" to close your opening paragraph?

Writing is also a game of inches, where it comes down to each element.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back