News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

USGA Flyover Country
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
There are 10 US Sectional Qualifying locations -- 7 east of the Mississippi.

Did they really need 2 in Ohio? I in N.California and 1 in Oregon? 1 in GA and 1 in Florida? What do they have against the Mid/Mountain West? It's over 700 miles from Minneapolis to the nearest site. I'd like to see the advanced metrics for qualification versus travel distance to the qualifier.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/sectional.html
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Matthew Rose

Re: USGA Flyover Country
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
I think there are two in Ohio because there's a much higher concentration of touring pros who qualify there due to the proximity of those events to Columbus and the Memorial event.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
I think there are two in Ohio because there's a much higher concentration of touring pros who qualify there due to the proximity of those events to Columbus and the Memorial event.

There are 16 spots and 120 players in Columbus, 63 players and 3 spots in Springfield --biggest name in Springfield looks to be Billy Mayfair.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
I did learn the Curtis Cup is this week at St Louis CC and the USGA has some great photos of the course posted-- about 15 miles west of the Mississippi.

Here's the uphill Biarritz (Double Plateau) #2 with #3 (Eden) in the background.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventPhotoGallery.aspx?id=21474862016&aid=21474866628#21474866592

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
Completely agree, Buck. One qualifier in Ohio is enough. I wasn't able to play my home course yesterday because the qualifier participants were playing practice rounds. Find another course that I don't play, USGA!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
Frak, you guys are MORONS with a capital alphabet. Wherever the pros are, they add a qualifier. When the D.C. event matched up with sectional qualifying, it received two qualifiers. One event would stiff those three guys at Springfield, as they would not qualify when matched with the tour pros.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:49:43 AM »
The Chicago area was without a sectional for the second year in succession after hosting one annually since qualifying was instituted in the 1920s.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back