News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The Ridge at Back Brook
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
We took a drive out to Ringoes, NJ today to get together with Steve Scott and have a look at The Ridge, a Tom Fazio design.

I was VERY impressed with the golf course and the facilities.  Let me get to the non-gca stuff first:
  • Steve Scott is everything a PGA pro is supposed to be.  Knowledgeable, friendly, caring, and proud of his club.
  • The course is in a beautiful par[t of New Jersey with really nice elevation changes and great views.
  • The Ridge is a non-equity club and the owner is active and present.  He really "gets it".
  • The clubhouse is a perfect compliment to the course.  It just "fits" into the countryside.  Rustic but classy.
  • At 2:30, the course had a fair number of players.  Some were walking with caddies, some were carting.  All seemed very happy to be there.
  • The practice area is HUGE and very well designed.

OK - onto the course itself:
    • This course deserves a LOT more recognition than it seems to get.  I thought the architecture was excellent and significantly adds to the player's experience.
    • The five par 3's are really cool.  Fazio had a lot of room, and he built tees that provide quite different angles from similar distances.  You could play the course for a week and have  a different look every day.
    • The fairways are nicely canted in such a way that placing a shot on the wrong slope will cause the player to have a significantly more difficult approach shot (for example, a cut off a draw slope)
    • Bunker placement is excellent.  There seems to be the perfect amount of bunkering out there and I think they're in the right places.
    • Fazio makes excellent use of elevation changes.   There is a skyline green and there are some thrilling drop shot opportunites
    • Fazio uses the native red shale rock formations in a really nice artistic way.  The outcroppings do not intrude on the play, but do demonstrate that you're in a geologically unique area.
    • Back Brook meanders through the property and is an important feature for the golfer
    • The shaping of the greens is fantastic.  Most greens are fairly large, but they're certainly not flat.
    • There are some real "hero shots" out there, but Fazio always seems to provide a nice bail-out for the higher handicap golfer.  To me, this looks like a "easy bogey"/"hard par" type of course (a very good thing to me)
    • The course is extremely well conditioned.

The club is a member of GAP and MGA, so I urge all NY/Philly guys to see what they think for themselves.  I came away thinking that I'd love to get back and play again and again.  I think that's about as big a compliment I can give to a course.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:02:19 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Joe Bausch

Re: The Ridge at Back Brook
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
In late April of this year the Philadelphia section of the GolfWeek Amateur Tour (http://www.amateurgolftour.net/philly_tour_pages/default6.asp) visited The Ridge at Back Brook.  I took the opportunity to walk the course (not play it) and grab some photos.  I've seen very few pictures of the course on GCA, hence I think this photo album is welcome:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/TheRidgeatBB/

I first walked the back nine earlier in the morning, then moved to the front nine.  The lighting was pretty good, and the course is quite photogenic with the elevation changes.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
In late April of this year the Philadelphia section of the GolfWeek Amateur Tour (http://www.amateurgolftour.net/philly_tour_pages/default6.asp) visited The Ridge at Back Brook.  I took the opportunity to walk the course (not play it) and grab some photos.  I've seen very few pictures of the course on GCA, hence I think this photo album is welcome:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/TheRidgeatBB/

I first walked the back nine earlier in the morning, then moved to the front nine.  The lighting was pretty good, and the course is quite photogenic with the elevation changes.

thanks for posting the link.  I am playing the course at the end of September, so was good to see some pictures.  Have heard good things. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
One thing you won't see is Steve Scott, who is now at Paramount.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Thanks, Joe! 

D_Malley

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »
The Ridge is a non-equity club and the owner is active and present.  He really "gets it".

i think that this statement is questionable in the least.
why is it that they can't seem to keep a golf professional for more than one or two seasons?

Jay Mickle

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
Joe
I knew "The Ridge" prior to its being a golf course as a great part of the Amwell Valley Hounds fox hunting territory. It was great land to ride over. 
Before moving to NC from NJ I had the opportunity to play the course a number of times. It was a fun course with many memorable holes in large part due to the elevation changes that you photos capture so well. Thanks
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back