News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: Guess the Reaction
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
You're a bunch of pessimists. None of your guesses were quite correct.

The reaction was laughter. Lots of laughter. Almost an embarrassing amount of laughter.

As the pro built his case and the laughter built, he asked "I mean, what if you need a birdie on that hole to win your match?" The guy in the purple pants responded back, "Then you should've played better on seven!" The laughter grew to guffaws.

The club presidents started telling stories about when the pin used to be placed in the back RIGHT of the green, on top of a tiny knob with about 6 sq ft of reasonably level slope. They then suggested to the superintendent that we bring that pin position back and incite some REAL complaining.

The mid-handicap woman started talking about how even she can hit the shot that gets close to the back left pin. She can't always execute it, she said, but she can see it and pull it off sometimes. All she has to do is hit her low trajectory wood shot to the middle and let it run up the back right slope, catch the bank, and funnel toward the hole. She couldn't fathom how someone that drives it 300 yards can't hit the same run-up shot.

Another man just kept talking about how much he hates that "You can't hit it close!" argument. He's fine with the hole being cut in the middle of a slope where it's impossible for anyone to stop even an uphill putt within 20 feet. We're all playing the same course, after all.

It's 15 people, so it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. But it was refreshing, and I actually ended up feeling a little bit sympathetic for the pro, who just left the room visibly frustrated as the other 14 stayed behind and laughed at his expense.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

George Pazin

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
She couldn't fathom how someone that drives it 300 yards can't hit the same run-up shot.

That's ok, he couldn't fathom the notion that high flying drop and stop isn't always the preferred choice...

Nice story, Jason, glad it had a happy ending.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Josh Tarble

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
I actually suspected that may have been the reaction.  Although I just didn't want to type it out  ;D

Just a general questions, how long has your Pro been around?

I suspect your membership is a lot like Broadmoor's, in that it's a point of pride that the greens are difficult and there may be some pins that are excessively difficult.  I'm actually a little surprised your pro wouldn't know how that comment would be perceived.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
Yes, who doesn't love a happy ending?  ;D Oh, you mean that comment was about golf?  :-[

I just want to know where the guy got his purple pants  ;)

Nigel Islam

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
Yes a better ending than "Love Actually!"

(Confession: I have not actually seen that movie)

Robert Kimball

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
That is a great story and a great reaction. I love the Australian woman's response, I think more people should play golf like that (using their imaginations more than muscles). Maybe more do; I just don't seem to play with them.

And, just wait for that assessment!! It's coming, I'm sure!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
Yes a better ending than "Love Actually!"

(Confession: I have not actually seen that movie)

Liam Neeson is in it, but they under-utilize his talents by not letting his character go on an arm-breaking spree.  Probably would have been a better movie if they had scripted that in.  No car chases either.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back