News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Re: OT - Golf in Ireland - Do's and Don'ts?
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »
The Crown Bar in Belfast is worth visiting. For a good selection of whisky from Ireland and Scotland, Bowe's on Fleet Street in Dublin is good.

In Lahinch, Barrtra Seafood Restaurant is very nice. Outside the town.

If you go to Doonbeg, Morrissey's is good for food.

John Marr(inan)

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
Thank you all for the responses - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. For those of you who are wondering, here is where I am playing:

The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Your advice has been noted and I will try and incorporate as much as possible into my trip. And of course, in the interest of contributing, I will take as many photos as possible. This thread has only made me more excited to go.

There is a LOT of incredible and undiscovered golf between Ballyliffin and Enniscrone-in fact in all the areas you're touching on.
I enjoy the driving and scenery in Ireland, you'll see a lot of the country-hope your party is OK with lots of windshield time-cause you are covering some serious ground.
PM me if you have time for any  9 hole sidetrips (Mulranny is semi on the way from Enniscrone to Lahinch)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Completists would tack on Portmarnock and Baltray.  ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bart Bradley

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
Thank you all for the responses - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. For those of you who are wondering, here is where I am playing:

The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Your advice has been noted and I will try and incorporate as much as possible into my trip. And of course, in the interest of contributing, I will take as many photos as possible. This thread has only made me more excited to go.

There is a LOT of incredible and undiscovered golf between Ballyliffin and Enniscrone-in fact in all the areas you're touching on.
I enjoy the driving and scenery in Ireland, you'll see a lot of the country-hope your party is OK with lots of windshield time-cause you are covering some serious ground.
PM me if you have time for any  9 hole sidetrips (Mulranny is semi on the way from Enniscrone to Lahinch)

Frankly, I would skip Ardglass and add on any of the courses along the road to Enniscrone from Ballyliffin...(Rosapenna or County Sligo would be examples).

Bart

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
I have stayed away from this site for quite some time now but happened to take a peek today to see if the tone and tenor had improved.

Cork is Liverpool without the Beatles,

I spent the first 22 years of my life in Cork, I disagree.

The Ring of Kerry is like riding the last mule on the trail. All you see is ass and all you smell is shit. The busses are obnoxious - don't waste your time.

The Ring of Kerry has some of the most beautiful scenery you will see anywhere.

he rest have greasy glop served by chain-smoking hags.

Craic is their national sport after soccer.

Gaelic Football and Hurling are the national games of Ireland.

I would forget about applying for a job with Tourism Ireland.

Obviously, since my posts have a finely honed tendency to rub Aiden the wrong way, any observation about his home country is bound to piss off our resident photography professor (again). I really don't try to pique his ire, but since we cannot even agree on the best aperture or ISO settings for landscape shots, it is unlikely we'd see eye-to-eye about overpriced itchy sweaters or the culinary wasteland of Cork, where the best eatery rates a minus-3 in Michelin stars.  ;)

But I digress.

Since I've been publicly scolded and evidently disqualified from a position at the Tourism Ireland (and need not bother to apply for an ambassadorship) - and Aiden is implying the tone and tenor of certain people's posts drove him from the DG - let me further elucidate my positions. 90% of the Ireland experience is absolutely peerless, but as an American, if I am going to cough up the jing to cross the pond, I WANT to know where the warts and pitfalls are. No place is perfect, not even Switzerland.

Let's say, arguendo, you have 10 days to explore Ireland and Ulster. Given time and travel constraints, why in the world would you waste one minute in Cork? It reminds me of a scaled down version of Glasgow, which is like downtown Philadelphia - a steaming turd surrounded by lovely towns and villages. The best way to experience Cork is to wave as you make your way to Kinsale. Hunker down at a corner table in the Finder's Inn and order whatever the waiter recommends. I met John O'Connor there for evening cocktails both nights to hear the story of how Old Head finally came together. Kinsale strikes me as the culinary epicenter of Ireland and truth be told, a romantic place to wander around with the wife.

I'm not going to disagree the Ring of Kerry is a beautiful drive, but when you've got to contend with endless busses belching exhaust and abysmal traffic, well, we lasted about a quarter of the drive and turned around. The same thing can be said about plenty of gorgeous drives in my part of the world - which is why vectoring to Dingle was one of the highlights of our first trip. Once you get to Dingle, the roads get sketchy, but we were virtually alone; it seems like every blind curve revealed an increasingly more beautiful panorama. We drove in an enormous circle, stopping for a long walk into the dunes of the Inch Peninsula. It is the most frighteningly beautiful drive of my life - even beyond the best of Hawaii.

And I'll concede the point about Gaelic football this or hurling that - all I know is that 75% of the conversations between males in an Irish Pub center on something sporting, so please don't pretend Leprechauns are not soccer crazy too. Oddly, golf does not seem as big in Ireland with the average punter as in Scotland, but I could be wrong.    

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:27:32 AM by Gib Papazian »

Ash Towe

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »
Take a caddie at RCD.  It will help with your line off the tee on a number of holes.

I also really enjoyed Portmarnock.

Doug Wright

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Brian, looks like you're not making it to the Ring of Kerry or Cork this time around so you can ignore the kerfuffle above about same. Here are my thoughts:

Dublin is a blast, one of my favorite cities especially on a weekend night (go to Temple Bar). This is a good itinerary but from my couple trips over there I'd suggest a round at Portmarnock or Baltray instead of Ardglass unless time allows you to do more than the ones you mention (Ardglass is a nice local course, just not in the Portmarnock/Baltray class. IMO from what I know of your game I think you'd like both Portmarnock and Baltray). As others suggested take a caddy at RCD, and also at Royal Portrush Dunluce, both awesome unforgettable courses. I second (or third) the suggestion about Portrush Valley, a really fun course for a second round after a round at Dunluce. If you're going from Portrush to Ballyliffin take the ferry (check the ferry schedule to make sure you can do that). I thought both Ballyliffin courses were fun. Finally, as others have said look to get out and meet locals in pubs or whereever; they are terrific. Enjoy.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

hhuffines

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned Corbalis, which is next door to the Island.  Really scenic front nine that was a lot of fun.  Also enjoyed my time in Malahide and remember thinking Ardglass was out of the way.  I would second the thought of Baltray and make sure you take the scenic drive around the coast near Portrush.  I also enjoy reading Ran's essays and photos before and after each round.  You're in for a great time!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »

The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Frankly, I would skip Ardglass and add on any of the courses along the road to Enniscrone from Ballyliffin...(Rosapenna or County Sligo would be examples).

Bart

Agreed on Ardglass, it has a handful of cool holes and a lot of bland holes.  The castle pro shop is unique.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:28 AM »
To be honest (and I don't want to pick holes to your itinerary), I'd very much second the Portmarnock and/or Baltray over Ardglass as the obvious one. Give me a shout on the former if you need a help.

That said, Ardglass probably need the buck more so hate to suggest biggies over smallies for that reason alone...

Gib - Glasgow is one of the great cities of the world. But unlike Edinburgh, it takes more than a "hit and run" approach to start uncovering its pleasures. And if you stick to the downtown grid system for a couple of nights only, you'll most certainly have missed most all that is good...

Cork as a city - I can take or leave... Cork as a county has few equals...

Carl Johnson

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Brian, I'd like to put in a plug for Ardglass.  You've listed:

Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)

Assuming you're playing in that order, here's why I'd keep Ardglass in its place.  RCD and Dunluce are big, tough courses.  Ardglass is not what I'd call a links course (not on typical links land with lots of dunes, etc.), though by the sea and mostly on high ground with great views and quite open.  The opening holes are more exciting than the rest, but the others are fun too.  So, I'd look at it as a nice breather, more of a friendly local course.  And, by the way, in my experience the people at the course, staff and members you'd run into, are more than welcoming (in contrast to what I found at RCD and Portrush).

Now, if you're looking for the heavy-duty links courses, and that's it, maybe Ardglass is not for you.  However, if you're interested in a variety of experiences on your trip, then Ardglass should be a great fit.

Just my opinion.  Carl
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:55:14 PM by Carl Johnson »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
I was lucky enough to be gifted a bottle of Redbreast a few years ago that someone won in a charity auction - I didn't know what single pot irish whiskey was.

I do now !

Dave McCollum

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
Just checked back in.  If you are driving yourself, GPS is essential.  A noble knight from gca.com loaned me his--thank you again Steve S.--and it saved my backside.  I consider myself a road warrior after twenty years as location photographer in some 65+ countries.  However, that was a long time ago.  Travelling alone for a week in Ireland, I couldn't believe how handy it was.  Even though I've probably logged 30K miles driving in the right seat, it gets harder as you age and I was so relieved not to have to drive AND read maps simultaneously.  The advice about taking the full insurance is probably a wise reflection of reality for a Yank driving in Ireland.  Pay attention and let that GPS lady talk you down to your destination.  I started using the one in my car after that.       

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
After Ballyliffen, drive slowly through Donegal. It is an exceptionally beautiful and has the flavor of old Ireland. Some do not like the new course at Ballyliffen but I think it is excellent. It plays like a new course so it does not have the old world links feel. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Doug Siebert

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:34 AM »
I agree with both comments about the Ring of Kerry.  The scenery is amazing, but I'm damn glad I didn't have to drive it or my nerves would have been shot when I stepped onto the teebox.  Even if you're self driving everywhere else, it might be the one day you might want to see if you could see up a day tour to do your driving for you.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

mike_malone

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
On your way from Island to RCD stop at Newgrange near Dundalk if you want an educational experience focused on early Ireland
AKA Mayday

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 07:48:28 AM »
Dave - course never closed all winter despite the flooding, I think my socks got wet once due to stepping in a very big puddle.

I like the prepare for rain everyday and the ground game is the important bit comments. If it rained everyday the fairways would never dry out. Deal is browning nicely and I hit it close on the second on Saturday with a wedge pitched 25 yards short of the green in still conditions.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back