News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Fred Rapp

Tillinghast Course Closing
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
Privately Owned Old Orchard CC in Eatontown, NJ is going to close some time this season and is slated for development.  According to records, this is an original A.W. Tillinghast Design.  Albeit, far from one of his best, and I am certain it has been tampered with over the years as well.  None the less, it is a shame that it will be lost.  It is a popular course with the local golfing community and is a fun track with a very informal ambience.  Once gone, there is nothing left like it in the area, which is already overdeveloped.  There are a bunch of locals who would love to fight the development just so they can keep golfing there, but I am not sure much can be done.  Was just wondering if any of you knew if the Tillinghast society ever gets involved in fighting to save courses?

Scott Witter

Re: Tillinghast Course Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »
Hey, I know of only 1 Fred Rapp in this world and it HAS TO BE YOU FRED...and for your first post you come on this site and spout bad news--go away man ;)

After all this time lurking, I trust you'll have something to actually contribute.  Feel free to fill us in on all those splendid Devereux Emmet courses on the Island...I'm sure you must have a home course you could write about.

Fred, welcome man, and don't be such a stranger uh!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
Another bit of golf course closing related news that sucks.   The island green of the par five 7th hole is quite fun, and a wonderful relic just down the road from another Tilly course with an island green, Suneagles.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
Bummer! I grew up in Long Branch, NJ and played Old Orchard over 45 years ago.  I remember that island green.

My next door neighbor was a member there. My father had his retirement luncheon there after working for 35 years at Ft. Monmouth.

Distant memories of my much younger days. 

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Fred,

Yes, we (Tillinghast Association) do help but there are some occasions where nothing can be done. I have no idea if this is one of those. Please email me at philwritesbooks@aol.com or call me at 770.475.9655.

This is sad news and the first I heard of it but take heart, the patient is not dead yet and some have been brought back to life from even closer brushes with death!

BVince

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »
Fred, being in Eatontown, you are in a great location for great courses.  I always wanted to get over to deal to play Hollywood and Deal.  In addition, have you played Suneagles?  I consistently mention it as a gem in the rough.  Its an old Tillinghast design that the Army took over and surprisingly they haven't ruined it.  Would love to hear your thoughts on some of those courses if you have played any of them.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
Bryon,

Believable rumors are that Suneagles will be restored and, in fact, some suggestions made from a master plan have already been implemented. I expect to hear more on this soon.

Fred, Bob Trebus, president of the Tillinghast Association, is playing Old Orhcard on Wednesday...

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
I was at Suneagles on Friday to inspect some work that was recently completed.  A number of the bunkers have been cleaned up, new sand added, some re-edged as suggested in our master plan and some had new drainage added (all work done in-house).   Some of our proposed tree work has also been done as well as drainage work to get the course to dry out.  I’m proud of these guys, Chip Dayton (the GM) and Duncan Bowie (the Super) for getting this work done considering there has been very little budget to work with as a result of the base being cited to close (right after we completed the Master Plan). 

There are a lot of rumors going on about the base and the course, but I don’t think it will end up with the same fate as Old Orchard.  The timing is still months away but I believe the powers to be understand the significance of their classic design.  I give the Tillinghast Society much credit for their support of the golf course.  As Byron mentioned, it is a gem that few people know about. 

I attached a photo I thought you would enjoy of the Boomerang bunker that extends out into the fairway on #11 and is also greenside on #12, it is awesome!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
Wow I really like that boomerang bunker!  Think of the angles you could create with that thing!  How about that in the MIDLLE of a fairway:)

Fred Rapp

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:40:53 AM »
Thanks to all who replied and for the input, etc.  Sorry for the bad news on Old Orchard, but I only posted it here because I was looking for some solace amongst folks who might understand.    I will attempt to respond to a few of you below:

Scott: Hi Scott, yes it was me posting that bad news.  I have been on a few of the Devereaux Emmett Courses in the region, but sorry to say none of those are my home course.  Lately, when I find time to play, it is at some of the local public courses, one of which is Old Orchard. (All public now, used to be semi private) I didn't like it at first, thought it was a bit quirky in places, but I must say, the more I play it, it grew on me.  Hence my sadness over its closure.  Its the closest course to my home, typically in good shape, and affordable which are all good reasons to play there.

MPCirpa:  The Island Green on #7 is one of the above mentioned "quirky" holes at Old Orchard.  Somehow, I just cant imagine that Tilllinghast had anyhting to do with that concept, but I really dont know the whole story on this property or if island Greens were a signature of Tillinghasts either.    I guess it's one way to turn a 480 yard hole into a par five.  I'm all ears if you know more.

David:  Sorry to report that the restaurant and halfway house are closed already...According to the folks in the pro shop the course will remain open until around Oct. 1st.

Phil:  Thank You for the reply.  I had a feeling you might want to know of this closing.  I will email you to discuss more.  Also, would love to hear how Bob Trebus enjoys his round at Old Orchard.

Bryon:  Yes, the Jersey Shore is blessed with a few great courses, a few of which you mention.  I have played all on your list at least once.  Each unique in thier own way.  There is a nice desciption of Hollywood in the "courses by country" part of this site.  I forget what hole it is, but Deal has a awesome "saddle" green, Kelly Moran might be able to elaborate on that since he did renovation work there.  Suneagles is a pleasant course, but also has somewhat of a questionable future with the pending Ft. Monmouth base closing as Mark mentions.  Always suprise people when I explain to them that Suneagles was a private Country Club built long before the base was there.  I think most people unfairly equate a military course with the term "dog track" but that is certainly not the case with Suneagles.

Mark:  Thanks for the update.  Hope things turn out well for Suneagles.  I have read that the folks at Monmouth County Park System have expressed interest in taking this one over after the base closes.  Assuming there are no changes in the way MCPS maintains and operates their other courses, I think this is a good thing for Suneagles and would obviosuly make a nice course more accesible to the public.  Looking forward to seeing the renovated areas there in an upcoming outing I will be attending there.

Glad to be here!

Chris Avore

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
I've been hearing about Old Orchard closing for some time now, and had usually just dismissed it as rumor...

My buddies and I played Old Orchard the day of my wedding; I'm heading up to Oceanport next weekend so I'll try to make it out to OO then and a few more times before it's officially closed...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Mike Bowline

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
I was lucky to be invited by a friend about 10 yewars ago to play Old Orchard and I truly enjoyed the day.

BVince

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »
This is what makes this site so fantastic....sometimes I wish we stayed more ON topic....great boomerang bunker picture, thanks for the visual image.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
Any updates on Old Orchard CC? 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Fred Rapp

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
I have recently heard that the planned development proposed for the grounds of Old Orchard has run into some approval snags, and that along with the current unfavorable housing market, the project and land deal has been called off.  Not sure if this is indefinite, or just a temporary delay, either way its good news for local Jersey Shore golf.  Kind of nice to hear that the course will live to see another day, and this turns out to be a rare positive outcome for golf in these ever so challenging times for the world's greatest game.

astavrides

Re: Tillinghast Course Closing (Old Orchard)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
I played there yesterday.  The course reopened on April 1 of this year, apparently under new ownership.  It's a very good design, and the course itself is in very good shape, although the proshop is nearly barren, and the clubhouse is closed, save for a small, nearly abandoned locker room.  The course reminded me a bit of Brookside #1 in Pasadena, but it is better than Brookside.  Supposedly, Tillinghast had something to do with both of them.  The young guy in the pro shop told me the new owners want to improve things, and that it is slated to remain a golf course for 'at least a few more years'.  Good news.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Excellent news Alex!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
That is great news about Old Orchard.  I recently played it in late November and really enjoy the layout.  One of the first courses I played when first started out playing golf.  So, it has some sentimental value.  Glad to hear it's going to be around a bit longer.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Keith Grande

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
Looks interesting, I'll make a note to check it out over the summer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back