News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Pictures of old scruffy TPC Sawgrass?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
I'm trying to show a friend what the course used to look like and I can't find even one photo of the old, wild, scruffy version, so I thought someone on here might have some at the ready. Thanks!

Rich Goodale

Re: Pictures of old scruffy TPC Sawgrass?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
I don't have any pictures, but I do have some memories!  Played there 1st in early 1982, and the only thing was was "scruffy" were the waste bunkers lining many holes which, I think, Pete Dye thought would perplex the pros.  It might have, slightly, but it completely kerfuffled the paying punters, so the powers that were (Dean Beaman) soon decided to manicure the waste areas, which played into the hands of the flat-bellies as they could get spin and control playing off what was effectively ironed hardpan.  There were also a few weird greens (4 comes to mind) which were soon softened.  I think that Tom Doak might have some pictures, or at least some anecdotes.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »
Matt:

I have a bunch of photos, but the timing is not good as I just landed in New Zealand and won't be back until Memorial Day.

Rich's assessment is largely correct, except that I don't think the change in program there had anything to do with the paying customers -- I played the course several times in its first few years, and the paying customers mostly loved it, even though they couldn't play it.  It was when the Tour moved their headquarters building to the site that, all of a sudden, they started manicuring the course to reflect their status.  It had something to do with the economy as well; the course was built during the recession of 1979 and opened in 1980, which was why the original concept and maintenance program were so austere.  When the economy started turning around in the mid-80's they had more money to spend on it.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
Matt:

I have a bunch of photos, but the timing is not good as I just landed in New Zealand and won't be back until Memorial Day.

Rich's assessment is largely correct, except that I don't think the change in program there had anything to do with the paying customers -- I played the course several times in its first few years, and the paying customers mostly loved it, even though they couldn't play it.  It was when the Tour moved their headquarters building to the site that, all of a sudden, they started manicuring the course to reflect their status.  It had something to do with the economy as well; the course was built during the recession of 1979 and opened in 1980, which was why the original concept and maintenance program were so austere.  When the economy started turning around in the mid-80's they had more money to spend on it.

Tom, I think we all would love to see those photos posted sometime.  In the meantime, here's a pretty cool looking aerial view, with modern overlay:

http://golfcoursehistories.com/TPC.html

I find it strange that there are no pictures on the interwebz of the 1982 Players save for Jerry Pate throwing Beman and Dye into the pond.  The debut of the Players at TPC Sawgrass must have generated a good deal of photography, so what gives?  Did the Tour want to suppress all the evidence of a "scruffy" TPC?  Down the memory hole I guess.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
Matt:

Tom, I think we all would love to see those photos posted sometime.  In the meantime, here's a pretty cool looking aerial view, with modern overlay:

http://golfcoursehistories.com/TPC.html

I find it strange that there are no pictures on the interwebz of the 1982 Players save for Jerry Pate throwing Beman and Dye into the pond.  The debut of the Players at TPC Sawgrass must have generated a good deal of photography, so what gives?  Did the Tour want to suppress all the evidence of a "scruffy" TPC?  Down the memory hole I guess.

I had my camera at the tournament in 1982 and 1983 though I didn't take too many pictures.  The one I do have is a shot of Hal Sutton's tee shot on 18 in the final round in 1983 ... he started it out over the lake and cut it back into the fairway, which was pretty impressive under pressure.  But I know I had the camera in '82 as well because I remember taking pictures (from over on #9) of everyone going into the water.

Steve Okula

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
Tom,

I was at that first tournament. I used to hang around with Allan MacCurrach and Dennis Leger and I remember being in the maintenance building watching the tournament on TV with the staff. Maybe you were there, too.

When it first opened, the course was quite controversial, and I remember several comments attributed to certain pros.

Jack Nicklaus was supposed to have said about the small, undulating greens, "It's like hitting 5 irons at car hoods."

And a couple from Trevino, allegedly,

"When they built this place they ruined a perfectly good swamp."

or, referring to the railroad ties,

"This is the first golf course I've seen that could burn down."
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
Pete's original design was meant to be a low-maintenance torture track that would make the pros sweat, and draw out all of their heroic talents. But the Tour didn't like the idea of its home headquarters looking "scruffy," so they've Augustatized the course, even though I vividly remember Pete saying at the first event in 1982 that "everything here is the dead opposite of Augusta--on purpose." TOM DOAK on TPC Sawgrass
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 05:53:37 AM »
The few pics I have seen of the old scruffy TPC looked awesome. I liked the "sod seating" around #1 tee and #18 green and just the rough and tumble of the place. Thankfully we know who Petes intentions were, but one would have to think he wouldn't have built so many bumps, mounds and banks if he knew it was going to be finely maintained. There is a lot of handwork involved with trimming and flymowing.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
Bump for folks to post those pictures they mentioned last weekend?  ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back