News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Peterson

Re: Do Combo Tee's Compromise an Architects Intent?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
Could it be said that tournaments are played from combo tees? 

For normal play, each set of tees is put in about the same place every day (somewhere on the same box).  I have played very few tournaments that have the tees all at the back box for all the rounds.  They are usually moved each day, and sometimes quite a bit.  I do realized that a combo set does dictate which box to play on each hole, and therefore, would in essence have the same issue as the regular tees markers. 

I recently played a tournament at a short municipal course (6200 yard par 70).  I was surprised at how they set it up, but it was extremely fun.  Almost no hole played the same box for all three days.  They used the most forward box on a few holes on a couple of days.  A 360 yard par 4 was played at 275, a 515 yard par 5 was played at 470, and another 510 yard par 5 was played at 450.  Other holes were moved from box to box, but not as dramatically.  It was great fun, and scores were not super low.  Many of the new tees brought trouble into play that you really didn't even know was there from the back tees.

Jim_Coleman

Re: Do Combo Tee's Compromise an Architects Intent?
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
    25 years ago, Rolling Green had 3 sets of tees 5,900 (red/women); 6250 (white/men); 6650 (blue/championship).  Then "senior tees" were added (6100), as the seniors didn't want to play from any ladies' tees, but thought the whites were too long for them.  Then the championship tees were lengthened to 6950.  This left us with a gap between 6350 and 6950, so the old "blue tees" were recreated, and the new back tees became black.  The present blues (6650 again) and blacks share a few tees.  Now the nine hole women are complaining that the reds are too long, and a set of tees (5000) may be created for them.  Although aesthetically it's a little "colorful," everybody seems to be happy.  I suppose that's OK>

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back