News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re: What's your golf nicotine?
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
Some great answers guys.  It showcases why this dumb game has such a broad intrigue.

My nicotine is that golf captures the sense of leisure wonderfully.  Yesterday, I witnessed a 61 year old man smiling from ear to ear as he stretched his lead over me; making 3 birdies with an excellent par in the middle.  Not to be crude, but he said repeatedly, “this is better than sex.” 

Snap hooking it OB was better than sex my with my Ex.

Charlie Ray

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
Marc,
Was it that bad?
at least snap hooking it was _____________?   
this makes me think of a question I don't know the answer to,  why are girl's of the night called hookers? 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
For me it is most certainly the walk. I walk over well over 200 rounds per year. If I had to ride I would certainly play significantly less golf.
Mid Pines early on a summers evening when no one else is on the course is a draw that I find irresistible. The peace and beauty of the course as the setting sun casts long shadows on the fairways is truly addictive.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

JMEvensky

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »

this makes me think of a question I don't know the answer to,  why are girl's of the night called hookers? 

Would you jump in the sack with a slicer? That has some scary connotations.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
The build of anticipation during the drive to the course, not knowing exactly what's to come, trying to find the right song for the day.

The smell of the air in the fall and spring.

Walking onto the front of a green hit in regulation.

The almost bodiless feeling of autopilot you get, too infrequently, during a really strong round.

The chatter, and getting down to the nuts and bolts and details of a round when playing with friends.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Steve Lapper

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Cuban Taboadas

Preferably Gran Sublimes 6.5", 58 rg w/ horse tails!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brent Hutto

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
For me it is most certainly the walk. I walk over well over 200 rounds per year. If I had to ride I would certainly play significantly less golf.
Mid Pines early on a summers evening when no one else is on the course is a draw that I find irresistible. The peace and beauty of the course as the setting sun casts long shadows on the fairways is truly addictive.

An "addiction" of mine, related to Jay's, comes from playing a lot of golf in a short time. I have a habit lately of taking golf vacations where I play 36 holes a day for three days in a row at a single course. I've done it at Ganton in Yorkshire and Harlech in Wales.

By some time in the middle of about the fifth round the rounds and shots and holes start blurring together as I'm playing. I'm recalling some combination of the shots I've hit on previous times playing that hole and similar shots on other holes. I think that's one of the few times in my life I'm able to really stay "in the moment" as they say. Partly fatigue, partly repetition, partly being in an unfamiliar place. At Harlech it's the hill, the Castle, the village all looming over you while you play making it more like "otherworldly" than "unfamiliar".

Steve Okula

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
Marc,
Was it that bad?
at least snap hooking it was _____________?   

During tha American Civil War, a Union general named Joseph Hooker briefly had command of the Army of the Potomac, the main Federal force in the east. The army had a lot of prostitutes following it around and they became known whimsically as "Hooker's Army" from which is derived"hooker".
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back