News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Golf w/in a horse racing track?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
Navan, in Ireland

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:12:26 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Seitz

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »
Cypress Golf Course in Southern California closed in 2004, but it have about five holes that played in the infield of the Los Alamitos Race Track.  It was a Pete and Perry Dye abomination design that only lasted about 12 years.  

The remnants of the island green and some of the course outside the track are still there.

Ya know, I see that in the satellite photos, but now I'm questioning whether any of the course went into the infield.  From what remains, it looks like the holes I thought were in the infield were actually just west of the circular portion of the track, playing along the extended straightaway.  It's a pretty short track, only five furlongs, so maybe there wasn't anything in the actual middle.  I honestly don't recall an island green, but the last time I played there was probably more than 15 years ago.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »
I played a lot of golf at the old Madison Country Club in Madison, IN. I think it's now called River Chase, assuming it's still open. It's a 9 hole course and the south part of the property runs pretty close to the Ohio River. I simply recall that area being very, very flat. I don't remember any details about the ground itself.

However, I'm told that the flat area was once the site of an old racetrack, and that the evidence of one of the turns is still pretty evident across the beginning of the 3rd fairway if you know where to look. If I'm in the area sometime I may swing by just for kicks and to investigate.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
Screw horse tracks...

Go to the real thing.  Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway  ;D  I'm completely biased but I think the course is great....really fun and some awesome holes.  Not to mention the setting.

Mat Poade

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
Ludlow is an 18 hole course surrounded by the race course. Never played it though.

http://www.ludlowgolfclub.com/

Adam Warren

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »
Screw horse tracks...

Go to the real thing.  Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway  ;D  I'm completely biased but I think the course is great....really fun and some awesome holes.  Not to mention the setting.

Josh,

I did enjoy Brickyard on my trip (despite the worst hangover ever).  It is a good course, but I think the price tag is entirely reflective of the novelty of the course. It might be a 70-75 dollar course, but not a 100 dollar course.  It should be priced more similarly to The Fort, Purgatory, etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:01:42 AM by Adam Warren »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Aintree in Liverpool. Horse racing, golf course and (at one time) motor racing all within the same venue.
atb

Adam Warren

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »
The Pleasanton Golf Center (pitch & putt) is entirely within the Alameda County Fairgrounds racetrack, which is a stop on the NorCal CARF circuit in around June-July.

There is a training track here in KY that has a couple flags in the middle. Not a real golf course, but I see the grooms out there playing occasionally.

Phil, where is that Kentucky track.  Interesting.

Think we could convince them to build something at Keeneland with a couple holes on the inside?  ;D People might wonder about Churchill, but that is not even a thought there.  The way that monstrosity is built and the surrounding areas it wouldn't even be a consideration.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
Adam,
Totally agree with you.  It is a little bit pricey, and the rounds can be abysmally slow (5+ hours if you catch it poorly).  But, I think the course is really fun, regardless of the setting (though it is awesome).  It's got a lot of Pete Dye staples, but also some really cool and original holes you won't find many other places. 

There are 3 courses I try to take people when playing in Indy.  My home course at Broadmoor.  The Fort, because you don't think of a course like that in Indiana.  And the Brickyard, because its the Brickyard.

Adam Warren

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Adam,
Totally agree with you.  It is a little bit pricey, and the rounds can be abysmally slow (5+ hours if you catch it poorly).  But, I think the course is really fun, regardless of the setting (though it is awesome).  It's got a lot of Pete Dye staples, but also some really cool and original holes you won't find many other places. 

There are 3 courses I try to take people when playing in Indy.  My home course at Broadmoor.  The Fort, because you don't think of a course like that in Indiana.  And the Brickyard, because its the Brickyard.

I agree there were some interesting holes out there.  Some tough holes too.  The one that will always stick out to me is the par 3 after entering inside the track with the "Volcano" like green.  I am glad I played the Brickyard, but I can't say I am going to drop a hundred for it everytime I go to Indy, which is fairly frequent.  I will return to The Fort and Trophy Club for sure.  Trophy Club is my favorite I played of the 3, and the biggest bargain.  I look to play plenty more in Indy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back