News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Rings around bunkers
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
Can somebody tell me why many courses in the southwest don't overseed all the way to the edges of the bunkers and leave a yard or so of dormant Bermuda around the edges?  Is this an agronomy thing, or for visual appeal, or for playability, or what?

Randy Thompson

Re: Rings around bunkers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
I think it is to make the bunker stand out more and draw more attention to the área because of the contrast in color.

Joey Chase

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »
I am not certain, as I have never worked at an overseeded course, but I believe it is for ease of maintenance.  No need to maintain the bunker edges through the winter and they come out of the winter more easily as well.

Jared Kalina

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
Joey is right. Hard to get an over seeder any closer without causing damage. Aesthetics has nothing to do with it.

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
You say it has nothing to do with aesthetics but actually over seeding need have nothing to do with it. If you place a ball near a bunker, why do you assume the turf needs to be green and lush? For me, this is just another example of how perceptions need to change. If you hit a bad shot, don't be upset when you have a skinny lie.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
You can overseed with a walking drop spreader and get right up to the edge and have good results with or without topdressing on top of the seed.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:21:52 PM »
I overseeded for 13 years on So Cal and AZ and it was all about aesthetics. We used to spread a pre emergent with a drop seeder prior to seeding to make that perfect line and we also would apply a contact herbicide to burn back any bermuda that started thinking it was time to wake up before we wanted to lose the contrast.
When I first started overseeding, everyone pretty much seeded right to the bunker edges. When some of the new desert courses came on line, then we started to get clever with the look.

I think it is 100% about the look. We could overseed the side of a building if we had to.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I overseeded for 13 years on So Cal and AZ and it was all about aesthetics. We used to spread a pre emergent with a drop seeder prior to seeding to make that perfect line and we also would apply a contact herbicide to burn back any bermuda that started thinking it was time to wake up before we wanted to lose the contrast.
When I first started overseeding, everyone pretty much seeded right to the bunker edges. When some of the new desert courses came on line, then we started to get clever with the look.

I think it is 100% about the look. We could overseed the side of a building if we had to.
+ 1

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »

I guess your inability to maintain it on the side of a building is what's keeping you back?  ;D

I shoulda drove to WP today, since my plan to be a redneck and watch the Daytona 500 has been thwarted to this point.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
I'm in So Cal for a few days, so i would have missed you.
I forgot how good the weather is here.
Perfect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back