News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Wandering in Wales. March 2014
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
Times booked, some price reductions added and the order of play switched.  Still room to add a few more before the end of this month.

Thursday 27th
Royal Porthcawl
Neil and I plan to play a second round in the morning(huh?) for £87.50 a day
PM we have 3 more joining us and available times are 2.20 and 2.30pm. cost £60 with coffee and bacon roll.
Stay
Premier Inn SWANSEA WATERFRONT
http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/SWAWAT/swansea-waterfront

Friday 28th March
Pennard GC 6 paying £40 for the day and 2 £25(TBC) for 18
Tee times 9.16 to 9.24 and 2.12/2.20/2.28

Sat 29th
Tenby  Tee from 1.30pm (might come forward TBC),  £15 each! 7 players
This is approx. 1.5 hrs away

Clocks go forward

Sunday 30th
Pyle & Kenfig Summer course.  3 tee times form 10.30am, £55 each! 7 players

Thanks to the Tim Man who’s suggestions have been very useful in making this a tight trip.

So who is in and for which bits?

Confirmed.

1  David + Caddy.   Porthcawl, Pennard, Tenby and P&K.  Also see the post below re Porthcawl as this may suit others.
2 The R+++++!   Pennard, Tenby and P&K.
3 The Dictator!!!  Porthcawl, Pennard, Tenby and P&K.
4  Jan Visser      Porthcawl, Pennard, Tenby and P&K.
5  Arjan Bor       Porthcawl Pennard, Tenby and P&K.
6  Neil White      Pennard and Porthcawl
7  The Tin Man   Pennard, Tenby and P&K
8  Tony Murphy   (Why has he no moniker?)    "Stout"?   Pennard, Tenby and P&K

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:01:16 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Wandering in Wales. March 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
No one speaks English as wondrously as the Welsh.

Find a quiet corner and listen to this.  With only a little luck we will (over)hear poets like this in all the clubs and bars.

Part of the joy of travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2a6zCR-ycs

(You can normally pick up a copy of this on eBay for a few pounds. great to have playing in the car).

I fully intend to visit Laugharne, Saturday Am on the way to Tenby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugharne

Enjoy.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
Very fine Spangles.  I can't confirm as of yet, so using the Spangles Binary Rule, I am out.  I will continue to work on flipping the switch, but either the Friday or Sunday is problematic.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Davis

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
Tony,

This looks great and without you arranging I just don't know if I would make it down there, with my name I'll feel right at home as long as I go by Dai.

I'm in, looking at my schedule I may need to return Sunday evening so I will likely substitute Thursday for the Monday and play Royal Porthcawl on Thursday. If anyone can't make Monday and wants to join me let me know.

I didn't check with the club but I think I have some solid connections there. Then I will meet up with the rest of you on Friday morning.

Thanks for arranging, fingers crossed for mild weather with enough rain and wind to make it a true Welsh links experience.

Look really forward to this "bonus" weekend trip to start out 2014.

Quick update, flights were cheap from Amsterdam right now so I booked for my girlfriend and I. She does not golf but has never been to Wales. We arrive Thursday morning at 10 am and will go straight to Royal Porthcawl and stay in the hotel you suggested (already reserved that too, looks great!). I rented a car so have space for two max if anyone wants to ride along. I will leave on Sunday on the 5 pm flight.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:10:17 PM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Tony,

Sounds brilliant.  I'm currently in a moon boot and on crutches, however (ruptured Achilles), and can't be sure I'll be ready for golf by then, though I hope to be.  Therefore, as per the rules, I'm out for the moment.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
Tony,
Thanks for organizing this.  I would love to do the trip, but not in a position to commit.   I'll have to rely on someone backing out to open a spot for me.  Has something like that ever happened?   ;)

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »
Tony,

A great looking trip you have organised there!

I think you have it right with your rules Mr Dictator, otherwise I'm sure we are as bad as herding cats as any other bunch of golfing tourists I've tried to organise myself!

I'm afraid though that as I mentioned in my e-mail to you I'm only a "possible" and would probably only be looking for 2 or 3 days golf anyway on this trip. Therefore I'm afraid on the binary basis I can't make it.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »
Thank you David nice and clear.   Do I see a new fashion trend? After Rory and Sergio is it now de rigueur for Girlfriends to Caddy?

If it suits people to play Royal Porthcawl on the Thursday,  maybe that's a better option.  Please speak up if you are definitely playing the weekend.  I will commit to RP one way or the other by the end of Jan.

Tin Man, Mark Tucky and Boony, hopefully you can get things sorted and we'll see you there for at least part of the trip.

PS Premier Inn are now advertising  a 4 day sale on offering rooms from £25pn.   The best I could secure was £78 for a twin for Fri and Sat.
NB There are two Premier Inns in Swansea.  You want the Waterfront.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:43:58 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

David Davis

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
Tony,

We now have 3 members of Noordwijkse coming on this trip to join. Jan Visser who is a GCA'er and a good friend of ours who is not but does love great courses, both are excellent low hcp players. We are all booked with flights, rental car (now full) and hotel, The Waterfront, Premier Inn.

All doing the Thursday - Sunday thing and flying out Sunday afternoon at 5 pm.

Cheers,

David
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Excellent news David and welcome guys.

P&K have agreed to move the tee times up a bit and David's group intend to play 36 at Pennard.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:42:43 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

jvisser

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:03 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for organising this!
Really looking forward to meeting you and finally get some holes under my belt in Wales!
As David wrote, I booked yesterday and it took all of one whatsapp message to convince
our friend Arjan to join us. He booked within 10 mins. as well.

Cheers,

Jan

Neil White

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
Tony,

As emailed to you earlier I intend to play Royal Porthcawl on the Thursday - joining David et al - and then Pennard for 36 on the Friday.  I would love to stay for the weekend but fly out to Estoril either late Sunday or first thing Monday morning.

David,

I hope you don't mind one more?  Hopefully a few others will take up the Thursday offering of RP......?

Best,

Neil.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
Very fine Spangles.  I can't confirm as of yet, so using the Spangles Binary Rule, I am out.  I will continue to work on flipping the switch, but either the Friday or Sunday is problematic.

Spangles, I shall Wander with you.  Room is booked for Friday & Saturday at the Waterfront. I would like to play:

Friday: Pennard PM
Saturday: Tenby AM
Sunday: P&K AM

I assumed it was okay to invite Tony Murphy. I think he is coming, but we shall see.  Let me know if numbers are too high.

Thanks for organizing Spangles.

Ciao  

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
Excellent, always room for another ton(e)y chap.

I'm close to committing to Porthcall and 36 at Pennard. Is there anyone stil thinking about Porthcall onthe Monday, if so please IM me otherwise I'll join David's crew onthe Thursday.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
Excellent, always room for another ton(e)y chap.

I'm close to committing to Porthcall and 36 at Pennard. Is there anyone stil thinking about Porthcall onthe Monday, if so please IM me otherwise I'll join David's crew onthe Thursday.

Spangles - Tony is in for the same games I am.

Ciao

Sean

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
Spangles

8  Tony Murphy   (Why has he no moniker?)

I used to call Tony Silver Back, but then he retired.

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Tee times now confirmed - see first post

Room for a couple more golfers (you know who you are), but I did tell the clubs I'd give up the extra times at the begging of next month.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back