News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

john_stiles

Re: Homerphobia. The great home clubs of GCA.
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
I am not phobic about the homer posts.

They are recognizable and can be avoided if you have had your fill.

Sometimes I do like to learn more, and another read about someone's love of a course sometimes helps.

And most of the homers are always happy to host, which is good to know, and as you might expect from the gca crowd.

Keep posting you homers, and include some fresh photos from time to time.

Bill Crane

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
We have 3 active posters and at least a few lurkers at Springdale G C in Princeton, NJ.

Outpost Club must have at least ten or more posters, I can think of about a half a dozen that I have met myself.

Walked THE CRICKET CLUB day after Thanksgiving with Powell Arms and I agree with the prediction that this course could well become the newer 2014 Homerphillic darling.    I had played there almost 20 years ago, but WOW!   Had a great opinion of the work at PARAMOUNT, but CRICKET is even better.

Dornoch in Sept was everything I hoped it would be.  Can't wait to get back.  Brora and Golspie were both better than anticipated.

STill love to get regular loops at Merion, Yale,  Kittansett, and will try to get back to Somerset Hills again this year.

Wm Flynnfan

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
 I was so happy that none of my fellow Dismal members ever mentioned that the Red won best new course by Golf Magazine.  Even I get tired about reading about the greatness of the Doak.

Given that the owner, the architect, and the build superintendent are here vocally advocating for the place and snuffing out even potential criticism, I'd say the Dismal Red needs its own special category for homerism.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
David,

I'm thinking of a very special place right now.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
David,

I'm thinking of a very special place right now.

The State Capitol Building, where you signed your first government procurement contract and thus made all the rest possible?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Right idea wrong rotunda.

BHoover

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Brookside in Columbus has at least 5-6 GCA members (I used to be one of them).  I don't think another club in central Ohio has such a high concentration.  Not sure about other clubs in Ohio.

It is not how many members a club have that participate, it is how many of those members bore you to death talking about the place.  I was so happy that none of my fellow Dismal members ever mentioned that the Red won best new course by Golf Magazine.  Even I get tired about reading about the greatness of the Doak.

I can answer that question easily -- we don't talk about the place or about architecture.  Instead, we just play(ed) golf...and talked about which trees need to come down.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:31:42 PM by Brian Hoover »

JR Potts

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
No mention of Painswick?

I personally feel that homerphobia is an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere - everywhere, really. It's that obsession with minutiae that really fosters true discussion. You just have to be able to take that into account when reading someone's thoughts.

Which is also an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere, everywhere...

As usual, Mr. Pazin is correct.  The spirit of homerism reflects a passion for the subject that brings our disparate group together.  It's a rallying cry of sorts.  Sometimes, it's admittedly amusing to have somebody cheering about great architecture when they belong to a club that as a course that is not anything near a good example of great architecture, but all the same, it fosters bonhomie of a different kind.  The minutiae that many of us spout in a favorable way about our home course may not be particularly persuasive when compared to some of the great works that we greatly admire, but it reflects a passion for the subject that is the raison d'etre of this site.

I don't disagree but pardon my cynicism for a minute.  Part of me can't help but believe that numerous posters merely aggrandize and besmirch certain courses to curry favor with the member....in the hopes of either gaining access to said course or ingratiating one self with the masses.  Yes, it's a cynical view - but I know it is one that is shared.

mike_malone

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »
Mark,
That's quite a few at Deal but I wonder which came first--Deal or gca. Rolling Green has had at least 6 by my count at one time or another  
AKA Mayday

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
Brookside in Columbus has at least 5-6 GCA members (I used to be one of them).  I don't think another club in central Ohio has such a high concentration.  Not sure about other clubs in Ohio.

It is not how many members a club have that participate, it is how many of those members bore you to death talking about the place.  I was so happy that none of my fellow Dismal members ever mentioned that the Red won best new course by Golf Magazine.  Even I get tired about reading about the greatness of the Doak.

A little part of me died when I read this post and realized even JK has been compromised.

The following are Deal members, I am putting initials just incase someones wife doesn't know, a friend has been a member at Sunningdale for several years and his senior management team is still unaware!

MC, NAF, GJ, MW, CD, TM, RP, SK, TH, DH, AT, PG, WS, DM & KC.

I'm sure there are one or two more.

And is it true JNCL was booted from the DSPS* for this thread? http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48931.0.html

C'mon guys let him back in -- he halted the thread well before the final score could even be imputed, much less tallied.  ;D

*Deal Subtle Promotion Society

Actually, the deal with Deal is that they have the double homerism problem because they are "sister" clubs with Flossmoor in Chicago and they butt-worship both on a near simultaneous level.  Of course, I can tease them re: this because I was a longtime member at Flossmoor and helped the Deal group come over to Flossmoor to cement the relationship.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:22:23 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »
Two more The Aussie - SW and another from NY - MW. That makes 17 current members and counting.

We were 33 years old when Rolling Green opened  ;)

Terry and I'm a Flossmoor member as well!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:35:37 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 04:25:57 PM »
I don't disagree but pardon my cynicism for a minute.  Part of me can't help but believe that numerous posters merely aggrandize and besmirch certain courses to curry favor with the member....in the hopes of either gaining access to said course or ingratiating one self with the masses.  Yes, it's a cynical view - but I know it is one that is shared.

Maybe, but don't you think we're all adult enough to be able to form our own opinions as to someone's posts?

The alternative is to try to squelch discussion through any number of different ways - the like/dislike mechanism proposed, the limit on posts method proposed, just plain shouting someone down (not proposed, just implemented :)).

Fwiw, that's the biggest problem I have with the initiator of this thread; too often, rather than simply allowing someone's bs to stand or fall on its own merits, he seems to feel the need to scream out the injustice the rest of us already can see and simply choose to ignore. Give us a little credit, we're not as dumb or racist or biased or whatever as everyone thinks.

To me, simply allowing people to say whatever and allowing the rest of us to judge accordingly is far better than any of the alternatives.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
To me, simply allowing people to say whatever and allowing the rest of us to judge accordingly is far better than any of the alternatives.

That's the trouble with you, George - you're a true democrat, a genuine egalitarian, a freedom-loving liberal, a populist, a man of the people!  How the heck do you think you'll fit in with a group of dictatorial, pedantic, puritanical prigs and purists like us, and here at gca.com with more average-golfer-hating snobs than you shake a stick at?

Best
Peter

JMEvensky

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

Nah,makes too much sense.

Do you really want some putz droning on and on about how great Oakmont is? ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »

Nah,makes too much sense.

Do you really want some putz droning on and on about how great Oakmont is? ;D

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that - good point. The problem with democratic populists is that they tend to drone on and on...and then can't even help you out with access requests for all the listening you've done...

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
Mark B

Young JNC got the boot?  Surely you jest.

You can say what you like about the Dealies - its true ;D.  On the other hand, Deal is a great course.  More importantly, Dealies are very generous with their time and course.  There are a ton of guys on this site and beyond who know they can shoot an email to one of several Dealies with the reasonable expectation they will be looked after.  Bottom line, Dealies are rightly proud of their course, membership and history and won't hesitate to be generous.  I have a lot of time for Dealies and why not, they have a lot of time for us. I don't know of a club membership that is so accomodating - does anybody else?  Deal doesn't need an "of GCA" qualifier, its a great club full stop.

Ciao    
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

mike_malone

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »
Mark,
I meant that the gca relationship may have led to the Deal membership. None of the RG members joined the golf club because they knew someone like you.
AKA Mayday

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
Mike I was jesting you, NAF I didn't know nor DH, I may have had a hand in a few though.

How could I forget BS or whatever handle he goes by today!

Sean we need a like button. What other club could host a few friends from the Outpost Club to dinner and have the Open, Amateur and Walker Cups on the dinner table.....a very cool evening.
Cave Nil Vino

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:07 PM »
I don't disagree but pardon my cynicism for a minute.  Part of me can't help but believe that numerous posters merely aggrandize and besmirch certain courses to curry favor with the member....in the hopes of either gaining access to said course or ingratiating one self with the masses.  Yes, it's a cynical view - but I know it is one that is shared.

Maybe, but don't you think we're all adult enough to be able to form our own opinions as to someone's posts?

The alternative is to try to squelch discussion through any number of different ways - the like/dislike mechanism proposed, the limit on posts method proposed, just plain shouting someone down (not proposed, just implemented :)).

Fwiw, that's the biggest problem I have with the initiator of this thread; too often, rather than simply allowing someone's bs to stand or fall on its own merits, he seems to feel the need to scream out the injustice the rest of us already can see and simply choose to ignore. Give us a little credit, we're not as dumb or racist or biased or whatever as everyone thinks.

George, I consider this a community that I identify with and because of the amount of time and support I give to the site it reflects upon me. For me or anyone on this site as much as I to tolerate racism would be tantamount to supporting racism. I do not see the difference in any aspect of my life be it work, family or social circles. I am oddly proud to have made the transition from the accused to the perceived moderator. I suggest you do the same before you find yourself in a position where you question yourself rather than those around you.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
My my my what a day in the annals of GCA.

Kavanaugh...Assimilated
Arble...Assimilated
Lavin...Compromised (multiple ways counts)
JNC...Disappeared
Pallotta...The Cheese Stands Alone

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »
Cripes 19 and counting! RC is one of yours as well.
Cave Nil Vino

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
My my my what a day in the annals of GCA.

Kavanaugh...Assimilated
Arble...Assimilated
Lavin...Compromised (multiple ways counts)
JNC...Disappeared
Pallotta...The Cheese Stands Alone

And stranger still, Mark Bourgeois become a mere chronicler, a humble historian of this internet island, ala Holinshed compiling data and facts for other Shakespeares, grander men, to turn into meaning. What the hell is that?  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
I want to hear George Pazin's views on racism. I'm tired of his hit and run opinions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back