News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

As some of you may know we are still involved with a new nine hole course in Cordaba and the course continues to mature nicely. Here are some photos and some comments about the design of holes two and five.

Short par four dogleg left and or short par three but challenging!

The arrows show the location of the different tees. Four,for the parfour and three for the par three.

Looking back at the par four tees from the start of the landing area. The sheep fescue is starting to mature around the tees and eventually will be maintained at six inches with some natural bunch native grasses form the area to be mixed in the fall for the final look!

Love the bluish color of the sheep. As T.D explained to me you have to seed light and it takes three years to form a dense stand. So obviously there are some problems with weeds. So far the only chemical we have used in the entire course is round up but if we plan to spray for the broad leaf weeds in the near future.

Good base of four inches, needs just a little more height and allowed to go to seed head and then we will back off on the water and allow it to go off color a little to match the natural surroundings.

Fairway mix during 90-100 degrees, consisting of a mix of fescues, Texas bluegrass and 10 percent rye!

View from the back tee to the landing area!

View from the blue tee! The perception is a partially blind- small landing area but init´s large and the hole plays down wind. The island is about 220 yards from this tee but a three wood will fly the island and leave some kind of wedge to the green.

We have cleared the left side and expanded the fairway but soon I want to restore this to the original native look. You can see the flag behind the natives that protect or discourage the long hitters from going directly at the green from the tee.

Short hitters landing area, leaving a seven or eight iron for most players.

These two bunkers will be united to form one large bunker instead of two small bunkers. We have a nursery ready to start putting the final abstract or torn shape in two more months.(fall)

The first island in the middle of the landing area to force the player to contemplate all the alternatives from the tee instead of just blasting away with the driver!

The par three tee to the right. Last area to be planted with sheep so still lacks density.

View from the right par three tee to the green.

View three from the par left tee!

Zoomed in from the Par 3 tee

Center of the green has three tiers all sloping from back to front. The front tier is a false front but the other two tiers have various pin positions for day to day play.

The right part of the green is a wing and slopes to the right as does the natural terrain. The area has two or three pin positions for tournaments or just more challenging day to day.

Left part of the green has a wing similar to the right and also slopes to the outside. Native areas surround the area in front and behind creating another excellent zone of tournament pin positions.

Fifteen meters of maintained rough circle the backside of the green and the island is about thirty yards in front of the green.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:46:53 PM by Randy Thompson »

Rory Connaughton

Re: Update of my Cordoba project with two new holes!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
I love the look of that terrain. More please!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Excellent concept for what I assume is a 9 hole course. I love the variation between tees to create a very different hole on the "front side" vs the "back side."

How does the disparity in tee locations affect walkability?

Is this kind of variation in tee locations on a given hole for the front side vs the back side typical of the course overall, or just a feature of this hole?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
I really like the look of that hole- looks very fun, especially the green complex!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
Here is the fifth hole

A medium length par four that doglegs left sharply, almost 90 degrees. The left side of the whole is framed by the dry creek and the native bushes and ornamental grasses on the right. The lone cross bunkers is out of reach for most (300 plus) and backed by eight trees to block off the view to six and help turn the hole. The only trees we planted on the entire nine.

The three back tees are located on shelf by the electric pole. Two forward tees are located down below

View from the tees from above, the red arrows show location of two lower tees. Landing area is expanded to the right.

Could be a more difficult tee than the back other 3. The bunker is in play from here and landing area narrows significantly as the hole turns left.

[/URL  
                                                                                                                                                                                          Many will try to go for the green from this tee, most will do it only once.

[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/agolf/media/DSC03342_zps46a6936f.jpg.html]

Looking back at the tees from the landing area

Looking at the green from the right of the fairway. This native area protects the back tee on the next hole, hole 6.

The dry creek forms a side way S, in the top loop we placed this 5th green and number one green site is situated in the bottom part of the S loop.

One waste bunker placed left and a grass depression behind the green to catch slightly over played shots from death in the dry creek. The fairway cut is extended around the right side of the green and back.

View from the back grass depression mowed at fairway height.

The dry creek that the hole follows on the left side.

The creek bed separates holes 2 and 5! Sometimes it can turn into a major river as an experienced eye can tell by the severity of the erosion.

You can see how the creek turns and frames the green site!

Hole three has already been featured in an earlier thread but I thought I show one or two photos showing what connects today´s two featured holes.

URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/agolf/media/DSC03288_zpsaee08bdd.jpg.html][/URL]

Same creek makes a big sideways u around the landing areas in hole number three

Looking back on the par three, hole number four. The third green is in the background with the tees to this hole to the left of the green.

Best part is it currently cost five dollars to play nine holes,,,hows that for value!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:06:01 PM by Randy Thompson »

Steve Okula

Re: Update of my Cordoba project with two new holes! Both holes now posted!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
What is "Texas bluegrass"?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

BCowan

Re: Update of my Cordoba project with two new holes! Both holes now posted!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »
Randy

Course looks really good.  Fairway mix looks great too.  I like the bunkering and outcropping as well, the native looks like a jungle.  Any snakes in there?

Steve

''Every time that wheel turns round, bound to cover just a little more ground''

Randy Thompson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Excellent concept for what I assume is a 9 hole course. I love the variation between tees to create a very different hole on the "front side" vs the "back side."

How does the disparity in tee locations affect walkability?

Is this kind of variation in tee locations on a given hole for the front side vs the back side typical of the course overall, or just a feature of this hole?

Jason,
I bumped the original thread that explains the concepts in more detail. Walkability is effected some what but we tried to keep it to a mínimum. The course in general is a fair walk with two reasonabl climbs. Playing eighteen in hot weather is tough and the compalints are rolling in on those days, where are the carts?

Steve,
Texas Bluegrass is a more heat resistant and drought tolerant bluegrass developed by Scotts.

Ben,
No snakes yet, lots of birds, rabbits and foxes!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back