News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Possibly OT: "What a wonderfully happy scene"
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »
Here's an exquisite 51 seconds of golf history (on a very famous hole) -- a clip that Rick Shefchik found recently and forwarded to the Minnesota golf contingent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8Q3TQzQuo.

Some of you are old enough (as I am) to remember seeing this -- either live, or within moments of ABC's (or BBC's) sign-on for the day.

Others of you missed something quite special. But, of course, it's forever fresh, via the World Wide Web!

The announcer is the great writer and commentator Henry Longhurst -- his "What do you think about that one?" having become, in the intervening 38 years: "How good is that?"

The Squire's fellow-competitors were also Open Champions: Fred Daly (1947, at Royal Liverpool; in the orange sweater) and Max Faulkner (1951, at Royal Portrush; in the pink sweater).

R.I.P. to a foursome of champions.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JMEvensky

Re: Possibly OT: "What a wonderfully happy scene"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Thanks,that was great.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
Interesting aspect ratio there Dan,

When they were walking up to the green it looked like Frodo and Samwise walking up to their ball at The Shire CC!!  ;D

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
Dan,

Neat bit of footage indeed. I cannnot remember but I think Longhurst had a particular  (short?) hole at The Masters for many years and a pithy phrase (?) of his sticks in my memory. A poor to very poor shot had been played in and all Longhurst had to say over the air was "Hmmm....".  Less is better for sure.

And Kalen, The Squire was always a wee bit stout!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
and he holed out from the sand there the day before for a 2!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:31 AM »
Great stuff. Not only is the wardrobe in that group out of this world, but talk about a grand exit from tournament golf for the Squire...making a hole in one on the postage stamp!!!
H.P.S.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:44:30 AM »
This one is pretty good too. Sarazen at Brooklawn CC (Tillinghast, Fairfield, CT, in 1932)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcLuaUTz_lY&feature=endscreen&NR=1
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:51:02 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
This one is pretty good too. Sarazen at Brooklawn CC (Tillinghast, Fairfield, CT, in 1932)

fun to watch - but turn down the sound. A muzak version of "Against All Odds?"
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »

It was fantastic how the golfer was halfway to the hole during the putt - I couldn't tell if he thought it was in or not.  I also liked the fans tramping across the green and through the bunkers!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rick Lane

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »

It was fantastic how the golfer was halfway to the hole during the putt - I couldn't tell if he thought it was in or not.  I also liked the fans tramping across the green and through the bunkers!

Ciao

Old thread, but some new info.   The Youtube video link above was from June 30, 1932, the grand reopening of Brooklawn, after Tillinghasts rework.  Most interesting about this is that this is just 5 days after Sarazen won the US Open at Fresh Meadow June 23-25, and a few weeks after debuting the Sand wedge June 8-10 and winning the British Open.  With him in the video is Billy Burke (1931 US Open winner), Leo Diegel (1928 and '29 PGA winner), and Henry Ciuci, from Fresh Meadow, and brother of Al Ciuci who originally introduced Sarazen to George Sparling at Brooklawn.  I found the original newspaper clipping about this event.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back