News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

More At The Shore
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
This is a NLE golf course at Manasquan Inlet, NJ, ca. 1933.
It was bordered by present day Broadway to the N, Niblick (love that) to the S, Baltimore to the E, and RR tracks to the west.

Edit: I did find some mention of a "Manasquan Golf Club", but not much else.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:18:57 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim_Kennedy

Re: More At The Shore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
This is parts of what looks to be two courses in Spring Lake NJ. The photo is from 1933, but at present the site is occupied by Spring Lake GC (on the left) and Fairway Mews GC (on the right).
I think Spring Lake is 'known', but I don't know about the other one. The photo is from 1933. Both are in Spring Lake NJ

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:33:37 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
And finally (I promise), is a course that was in Long Branch NJ in 1933.
The site is bordered on the N by present day Cedar St., on the S by Lake St, on the E by Bowery Ave (with Woodgate running N to S through  it), and on the W by Van CT Ave.

Edit: I believe this one was called the Long Branch GC, founded around 1915 or so.
A short description:

The Links of the Long
Branch Golf Club begin a half mile back
from the ocean in t h e Elberon section, the
first tee being on the north shore of the
Hollywood Lake. Here the club house, a
structure costing $20,000, is located. It has
the latest golfing equipment, with restaurant
and lounging rooms. The course extends
to the south over slightly rolling
country. It is well trapped and bunkered
and is moderately stiff. As Is the case
with the links in t h e vicinity, the turf is in
approximately perfect condition. Of course,
grass greens are used, and the nearness of
the seashore has suggested many sand
traps.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:13:10 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »
Good stuff Jim!  Are those walls that the player must carry in the first picture??

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
Jim -

Thanks very much for that photo of the course in Long Branch, NJ. I grew up (from roughly 1957 to 1972) in my family's home less than half a mile from the upper right-hand corner of that picture. The golf course was gone by the late 1950's and homes were being built there by 1970 or so.

The Hollywood Hotel, which burnt down in the late 1961 (I have vague memories of seeing that fire ;)), sat on some portion of that property. I do not know if the golf course belonged to the hotel at some point.

One minor point, it is Cedar Avenue, not Cedar Street.    

Any chance you have come across an aerial photo of the old Tillinghast Norwood golf course in Long Branch, NJ?

DT

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:21:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »
Near Spring Lake was Homestead CC

I thought it was a Donald Ross course?
Sold to make way for a condominium complex.
Every time we drove by it (as a kid) my dad commented that it was a very good course.

As I remember, a couple of greens in same spots

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
Jim -

In reading the pamphlet on golf in West Long Branch, NJ, there was mention that the Hollywood Golf Club was formed in 1889 and their course was in the "West End" of Long Branch from 1889 to 1902. There is a good chance that property is the one in your picture above.

DT

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
David,

You are correct, and I've sent you some info about the Hollywood Hotel and the course. Also, the Deal Club used the course for a time.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »
This is parts of what looks to be two courses in Spring Lake NJ. The photo is from 1933, but at present the site is occupied by Spring Lake GC (on the left) and Fairway Mews GC (on the right).
I think Spring Lake is 'known', but I don't know about the other one. The photo is from 1933. Both are in Spring Lake NJ

My college roomate was from Spring Lake, and his then girlfriend's family was a member at Spring Lake GC and they invited me to play if i ever made it north of Manahawkin (i didn't).  I'm more curious about the course now that i know and care something about golf course design, etc., and wonder if i might be able to "dust off" that invite... especially when the restoration/renovation work is complete.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Davis-starts-restoration-at-Thomas-and-Tilly%e2%80%99s-Spring-Lake/2916/Default.aspx

W

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
Wayne,
The course next to Spring Lake is most likely Homestead (as Pat mentioned) as they were just across the road from one another.
Hope you get back to Spring Lake.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:50:48 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
Good stuff Jim!  Are those walls that the player must carry in the first picture??

Mark

Sorry, I missed your question. They do not appear to be made of stone, just the dirt from digging out the bunker.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »
Jim:

Guessing that first photo is of one of the following:

1.  Point Pleasant GC, est. in 1898 with Bendelow coming in around 1910 to do some work.  Course started at around 1800 yds, was lengthed to 2,500 yards by 1917 (probably the Bendelow work) and was again lengthened to over 3,100 by the early 20's.

2.  Beaver Creek CC in Point Pleasant.  1931 Annual Guide has it as a 9 holer that stretched out to 3,092 yds.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
Sven,
I'd opt for Point Pleasant. I was just reading an article that puts PP on the river and the ocean, matching the pictured course.

Can't find a thing on Beaver Creek in a 1926 Guide, and their is a 1922 aerial map of the course in question.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »
Pretty sure Beaver Creek was laid out in 1929, so that rules it out if the course was there in '22.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Goodbye Beaver Creek.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back