News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonnathan Davison (hole 15 posted)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
Mam Rad!
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Frank Pont

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonnathan Davison (hole 15 posted)
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
Hole 16.  The sixteenth hole is a difficult dogleg to the right, again with a tee shot that one will need to shape, in this case a fade

The green is quite well defended by a mound in which Jonathan was still going to put a bunker, maybe he can post a more recent picture of it.

The green itself has a bit of a biaritz in the middle

A close up of the green

Niall C

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonnathan Davison (hole 16 posted)
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
Frank

All good stuff, please keep them coming.

Interested in the sandy area right of the fairway and short of the green. Is the intention to let that just cede naturally into whatever local grass there is or is that going to be maintained as a sandy waste ?

Niall

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
This course tour has brought to mind some similarities with Kingsley Club by Mike DeVries.  See if you don't agree:

http://www.kingsleyclub.com/course-tour/course-tour.html

The photo that jogged my notice of the similarities was the Penati photos of #15 and remembering the Kingsley Clubs general theme on its 17th hole where the tee shot is to a crest of a hill, then down to the green.  Short of the crest of hill is still blind.  Kinglsey is longer distance to green after the hill, and a par 5 - whereas Penati is par 4.  Then I considered the reverse redan shown at Penati, and thought of the 16th at Kingsley more in a redanish right to left configuration.  But, the feeling of the hole is somewhat similar.

The points I feel I notice are that Penati looks to be a fine job of grubbing and shaping with good use of existing land form (perhaps melting down some severe knobs and crowns, but nice green approaches and nice blending in the corridors of fairways and greens surrounds to the land.  But, I think where Kingsley Club generally has the edge is the greater extent of tree removal, and there seems to be more deciduous trees at KC whereas Penati looks like mostly all conifers.  

The spindly look of the conifers that are left at Penati, particularly on the front 9 as shown in Frank's photos, seems terribly clostraphobic.  It feels from the photos like a good deal more tree thinning along the corridors could take place.  Yet by the looks of the spindly nature of that stand of trees, a big wind might take them eventually, or the pulp and paper industry that seems to be headquartered in northern Slovakia might be contracted to sell to them.  I'm sure there are all sorts of enviro hoops to be jumped through and may restrict what one might want to do with the trees from what is possible.

This sort of pine barrens sandy terrain also brings to mind the possible project Mike Kaiser and Tom Doak may be looking at in central Wisconsin in Adams County, that we discussed recently.   The similarity also seems that the land here in Wisconsin was managed for pulp and paper on that sand barrens area, perhaps the same as there in Slovakia.  

The corridors and bunker work looks very nice, but I can only imagine (going soley by the photos) that tree thinning is still to be a consideration as years go by.  But, good luck with this very nice project and compliments to Mr. Davidson.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Frank Pont

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
Hole 17.  A very good par 5 hole, at a point where the routing returns to the lower areas of the site.

View from the tee

View from the fairway in front of the bunkers

View on the green from the fairway

The center green bunker is deceptive in that it is quite a ways infront of the green

The green is wide but not that deep, another good defence fro players going for the green in two

Again nice contours in the green

Frank Pont

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonnathan Davison (hole 17 posted)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Hole 18.   A nice finishing par 4 for the round, with a tough looking tee shot and a more innocent looking shot into the green that is deceiving.

First the view from the tee

The bunker on the left will no doubt catch its fair share

View on the green from the landing area on the fairway, with the 18th green of the Nicklaus course and the clubhouse in the background

Close up of the green

Looking back over the green to the hole

And a final look back

I thoroughly enjoyed my two days at Penati, and think Jonathan has done a great job on his course. Yes it needs further tree clearance, and maybe one or two holes can be further improved, but I would gladly play this course again and again.

If you live in Europe you should really consider making the trek out here, its great value and you can combine it with some days in Vienna or Bratislava. I'm sure I will be back!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:32:50 PM by Frank Pont »

Jonathan Davison

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonathan Davison (all 18 holes posted)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 05:42:48 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding I have been traveling a lot over the last few weeks. Looking at a few more sandy sites across eastern Europe.
Thank you Frank for the tour and your time to walk around the property.

Niall,
The plan for 16 was to have a couple of bunkers sitting in a sea of fescue but the sandy conditions without irrigation has made it a bit difficult. It is one of those areas which we have to decide what to do, add irrigation to make grass grow or to leave it natural and sandy !!

A good thing about the project most of the local greenkeepers are all forestry guys and have worked the site for years. The intention is to clear some forest areas during the winter period to keep the greenkeepers working.
I hope the course is still a work in progress, I would still like to open up some trees and I would like to tweak some bunkers and hopefully introduce some heather which we have growing around the site.

RJ Daley,
Thank you for your comments. Its good for the project to be compared to the Kingsley !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:50:43 AM by Jonathan Davison »

Jonathan Davison

Re: Penati in Slovakia - Jonnathan Davison (all 18 holes posted)
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »
Here are a few more pictures from the last few weeks.

A view to number one, its a lot wider than it looks.

A view from above to hole 1, 9, 10 & 18.

Number 11 a short par 5 with a semi blind second shot over the ridge line.

17 a long par 5 downhill.

BigEdSC

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
this is pretty interesting.  My father's side of the family emigrated to America from the Hlboke-Senica area.  My brother and sister have made trips over to the area for geneology research.  This might give me a good excuse to check the area out.

Frank Pont

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 04:42:48 AM »
A few recent pictures from both courses at the Penati Golf Resort.

Hole 15 from the Nicklaus Design Legend Course on the left and the 16th hole from the Heritage Course.

Hole 11 on the Heritage Course, maybe my favourite on the course.

A view of holes on the Legend Course.

Hole 4 on the Legend Course, a strong par 4.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back