News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

September Feature Interview with Brad Klein is now posted
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Of the 150 plus GolfClubAtlas.com Feature Interviews since June, 1999, we have done ones a couple or three times with inside golf luminaries including Tom Doak and Dan Wexler. We have never done four with one person - until now. Our first one with Brad Klein was July 1999 and this September 2013 one marks the fourth time we have checked back in with the good Doctor.

The reason? Unlike architects who run hot and cold with work (or at least work that is of interest), Brad always has things on the go. Plus he can write/type and convey thoughts in a meaningful manner and avoided using clichés unlike, alas, some of the promo material that architects circulate. Plus with Brad, you never know for sure what he is going to say which has the crucial effect of making one want to read what he writes.

From modern architecture to restoration of classic gems to the business side of golf, Brad's interest and field of expertise are far reaching which allows him to bounce from topic to topic with ease. This Feature Interview reflects that. One of my favorite expressions is 'a dog's breakfast' (i.e. stuff is splattered everywhere). That's true with this Feature Interview where lots of ground is covered. The focal point is his just released book Wide Open Fairways which is the rare sort of golf book that you actually enjoy reading cover to cover. In addition, Brad shares his take on a slew of other topics including modern courses Sebonack and Trump International, classic courses Mountain Lake and Northland (which I just added to the GolfClubAtlas.com Next Fifty list based on Brad's endorsement), restoration work at Paramount and consulting work in general. Plus, it is always great to check in with a writer on the state of writing, which we do here as well.

My guess is that in another 10 years we'll be up to ten Feature Interviews with Brad. At least, I hope so! See if you don't agree.

Best,

PThomas

Re: September Feature Interview with Brad Klein is now posted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
interesting questions Ran and interesting answers Brad...kudos to both
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
I always enjoy Brad's observations.  Excellent interview.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »
favorite quote: "make sure it’s playable at 6,200 yards"

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I enjoyed the book and the interview.  

Brad's comment that "the experience of place is crucial to what makes a course special" really resonated with me.  It's not real easy to quantify, but plays a big role in my enjoyment of a course.

Niall Hay

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
"They can also help in archival retrieval and getting the club to display architecturally and historically relevant materials on the walls rather than faded paintings of fox hunts." - great interview.  Really enjoyed it. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
Ran,

I'm always interested in the writings and opinions of Brad Klein.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:27:19 AM »

Brad's comment that "the experience of place is crucial to what makes a course special" really resonated with me.  It's not real easy to quantify, but plays a big role in my enjoyment of a course.

Si!

Very fine Brad and Ran.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:13:13 AM »

I read the book yesterday on the last day of vacation and on the trip home. Brad goes into his early life and reveals why golf is so important to him. In an era of posting and Tweeting, it was an enjoyable read with an old fashioned hard cover book.

The section on "his" course at Wintonbury was also interesting for me personally. Living part time in Connecticut, I now understand some of the intensity of the land planning issues better.

Thanks

Mike Policano

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »
Ran and Brad,

Excellent interview! I emailed it to the members of my Green Committee. And the book, that I received as a gift from Mike Sweeney above, is an excellent open, interesting and though provoking read. I always learn much listening to and reading Brad's work. He has a unique ability to see beyond the 18 holes and capture a course in the context of its history, general environment and the cultural and building architecture trends of the times.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:39:06 AM by Mike Policano »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »
Great read.  Thanks Ran and Brad for the excellent insight!

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Shane Wright

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Ran - thank you for another excellent interview.

Brad - Although not necessarily golf related, what I really appreciated about the interview was your dedication to continued good writing and inspiring younger aspiring writers to work extra hard to make sure they do something to set themselves apart.  There is still a very strong contingent of readers who have the attention and demand for quality, thorough and thought provoking writing.  I think it is important for all of us (I am not in the writing industry) to encourage and challenge those around us to read quality topics and opinions.  You have made this easy with your work.  Thank you.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »
Two great comments IMO - "I much prefer scruffy, open, fast and firm courses to parkland layouts," and "Do it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it enjoyable from 6,200 yards. The clubhouse is irrelevant. The most important building is for maintenance."
Many thanks Ran and Brad.
All the best.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
Good read. I am taking up a collection to get Brad a professional desk organizer   ;)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Brad Klein

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
Forrest, thanks, but that'll depend upon what she looks like.

Mark McKeever, thanks for the comments on writing. I learned from Herb Wind that no one has to apologize for trying to be a stylist in sports writing; it's a perfectly respectable genre and the readership deserves thoughtful, detailed commentary. One of the many reasons I left political science was because most of the people I was reading couldn't write clearly and used obfuscation and fancy terminology to hide behind the fact that they didn't know what they were trying to say. My own academic writing was always more plastic, clearer, less filled with passive constructions and abstract claims and much more physically descriptive. When I was writing about nuclear deterrence I was talking about missile silos, launch monitors, submarines, the land plan of military installations -- trying to made the "balance of terror" more vivid.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Wide Open Fairways is a great read. Just about mandatory if you hang out on this site...

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 08:01:07 AM »

Thanks for your insights Brad and congratulations on the book.

You reveal many good and worthy observations.Could I ask you to expand on your thoughts of where the game is heading?

Thanks, Lyne

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
Excellent and interesting interview for BK's comments both about golf courses and the evolution of the distribution of the written word. I really enjoyed reading it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back