News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Rod Whitman's Blackhawk: More
« on: November 10, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »
Thought some of you might be interested to read a recent article about Blackhawk, penned by Canadian golf writer Andrew Penner, following a visit to the course this summer.

[I'm obligated to provide Whitman with some 'exposure', any chance I get!]

The link is:
www.worldgolf.com/course-reviews/canada/blackhawk-golf-club.htm
jeffmingay.com

Paul_Daley

Re:Rod Whitman's Blackhawk: More
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 03:18:14 PM »
Jeff: thanks for posting this link. Andrew's article mentions Blackhawk as a links-style course. It's often difficult to distinguish from low-res images, but in a couple of pics it looks to have a heathland feel to it. How does the course stack up in your opinion?  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 07:57:53 PM »
Paul,

If I recall correctly, Andrew refers to Wolf Creek as a 'links style course'. Not Blackhawk.

I guess there's a bit of a 'heath' feel at holes 14 and 15, which occupy a large, open area in the river valley bordered by poplar, birch and pine trees. In fact, before we started building, this area reminded me of Hempstead Plain (Garden City).

Overall though, I think the course has a distinct Canadian feel. Even moreso, an Alberta feel. Particularly on the back 9, where the river and the sandstone bluff on the opposite side come into view.
jeffmingay.com

Paul_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 06:54:52 AM »
Jeff: sorry, I rushed that last post a bit. Yes, he was referring to Wolf Creek as links-style.

I like the sound of a 6700-yard course that is relevant and cleverly designed. It's heartening to observe a small trend toward architects designing shorter courses of late. With all the course and landform variety that the writer outlines, I'm not surprised that visitors are finding it tough to nail down a tee-time. They're voting with their feet! Any chance of teasing us with some Blackhawk images, perhaps big clear ones?

Andrew mentioned that Rod Whitman spent a lot of time on site - those ragged-edged bunkers sure don't just magically appear. Is that bunker style in vogue throughout the entire layout?  

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 02:31:26 PM »
Paul,

At Blackhawk, it was as simple as Rod fitting the holes to the ground. All 18 happened to add up to about 6,700 yards. There was absolutely no discussion about total length throughout development of the course, which is probably abnormal these days as well. The inherent terrain provided for a good mix of short, medium, long holes.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good photos of the course right now. I, personally, haven't been back since it officially opened for play in July. However, I'll get in touch with the superintendent, Duane Sharpe, who has taken a large number of photos this season. I'll ask him to post a few good ones for you, when he has a chance.

As for the bunkers, yeah, the general theme is rugged. But there's a good mix of flashed sand and grass faces throughout the course. There are small bunkers, like the pot guarding a front right hole at 10, and very large ones too, like the 'blow outs' in the hillside short left of 18 green. Variety, variety, variety!
jeffmingay.com

Duane Sharpe

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 09:00:32 PM »
Jeff, if someone could tell me how to post pictures, I have some great ones taken in October with the leaves all turning color. The contrast is quite breathtaking.

sharpee

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 06:51:04 PM »
Paging Tommy Naccarato... can you assist Duane with posting some photos?

Thanks in advance, pal.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 03:49:54 PM »
As per Paul's request... some photos of Blackhawk, courtesy of the photo talents of superintendent, Duane Sharpe.

Looking at the home green. Play is coming into the green from the left side of the photo. The ninth green is atop the hill.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 03:52:52 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 03:55:03 PM »

Approach to the home hole.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 03:56:28 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 03:59:36 PM »

Looking back at the long par 3 12th, with the 11th green in the distance, at left.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:01:38 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 04:03:35 PM »

Tee shot at the par 5 11th -- down into the North Saskatchewan River Valley for the final eight holes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:06:11 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 04:08:46 PM »

The (relatively) short , bunkerless par 3 16th, 160 yards or so long.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:12:29 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 04:15:59 PM »

16th, again, from the forward tee.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:19:09 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

ian

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 04:46:24 PM »
The work looks really good Jeff. I like the natural feel to the golf course. When is the official opening?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 07:38:09 PM »
Ian,

Thanks. I, too, am very impressed with the way the course sincerely comes across as if it all is a product of a good routing over the inherent landscape. It does: thanks mostly to Rod's genius.

Blackhawk opened for play in mid July 2003. I hope at least a few GCAers planning to make the Alberta trip next year have time to travel those few kilometres east of Jasper/Banff to Edmonton and Ponoka, to play Rod's work at Blackhawk and Wolf Creek. I don't think anyone would regret it.
jeffmingay.com

Mick

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2003, 08:53:35 PM »
Hey Jeff - The pics look good.  I'd love to see some of the holes up top if you havve them. - Mick

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back