News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The top 100 nine-hole golf courses in Britain
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:34 AM »
Gone a little overboard with 100... And a pity it misses Ireland...

Would be a fun exercise to see a Top 20 in GB&I ranked with the next Golf World poll in 2014 though...

Jim McCann

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
The brilliant wee 9-holer at Carradale on the Mull of Kintyre is a SERIOUS omission from the Scottish element of this Top 100 list.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
Some courses that have been favourably mentioned on here that have not been included are Portmahomack, St David's City, The Channel Course at Burnham & Berrow. Shame that Ireland isn't included. It would be nice to see a formalised ranking for GB&I 9-holers.
All the best.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
I love 9 holers, especially when traveling as a nightcap after an 18 hole morning, but reading these decriptions makes them all sound quite similar.
A good starting point though, as I had not heard of many
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
Let me freely confess, I used to look down on 9 holers as not being worthy of the effort but the last few years has cured that prejudice. I can now endorse the quality and fun quotient on quite few of the Scottish courses listed. At first site the only omission from the Scottish list is Jon W's favourite, that being Nethy Bridge GC just north of Boat of Garten.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
I can say for a fact that they have not visited let alone played all the 9 hole courses in Scotland so the list is very questionable.

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

Re: The top 100 nine-hole golf courses in Britain New
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
I've seen Reigate Heath and I really must play it, for it looks superb.

Some  they missed  that I'd happily play anytime. (Can't say that of all the courses on the normal top 100 GB&I)

West of London

Thames Ditton and Esher - true unwatered heath.
http://www.thamesdittonandeshergolfclub.com/Locations_View.aspx?Locationid=3
Moore Place (brother speaks highly of it)

East London
Crowlands Heath (good despite the name)
Hobbs X

East Anglia
Sutton Bridge - plays into and out of an enormous Victorian dry dock.

Wales
CWMRHYDNEUADD GOLF CLUB - my tip for the hidden gem. Plays down and back up a long valley, with crossing holes. Lovely.

Hard to rate these as lengths and suitibilty for 2 varied rounds varies so much. However it's nice to see them given their due.

PS Does the Balgrove merit it's inclusion? I can think of 100 things I'd rather do in St Andrews before I even considered it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:35:21 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
A surprise for me was listing 2 from the Isle of Arran, Machrie Bay and Lochranza, but not mentioning IMO the more interesting course 9-Holer Corrie GC at Sannox.

As Jon says, they haven't visited all of Scotland. In fact Jon's new 9-Hole at Brahan near Dingwall should certainly feature in the GB's top 100.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back