News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

How would you summarize the overall 2013 results?

Golf Magazine's 2013 Top 100s dish out a perfect blend of surprise and predictability, of new and old. For every macho or post-modern success that might antagonize a purist, there's a petite, wind-blown, old-fashioned relic that now gets its day in the sun. I'm pleased that international courses continue to make gains on the World list. I think that adds credibility, in that it shows our panelists are taking the time to travel the planet and judge every course fairly.

What result(s) surprised you the most in the World and U.S. rankings?

I'm still amazed at the consistency of the top courses. All of the top 20 from 2011 stayed in the top 20, with only the tiniest of movements. I must say the success of Trump Scotland surprised me. The Donald's bull-in-a-china-shop approach to building this course, and to life in general, really polarizes people and I wondered if voters might "punish" him and this course. They didn't. I do believe that once the novelty wears off, he's going to have to make it play more like a real links to have it hold its place or move up, but there's no question the holes and views are world-class.

Naturally, I was curious to see where the two Streamsong courses would fall, and which would be ranked higher. Of the 34 panelists that played both, 13 preferred Red, 7 opted for Blue and 14 didn't indicate a preference. Of note, many voters saw these courses during the Grand Opening and during Tom Doak's Renaissance Cup, when the greens on both courses were frustratingly fast for the amount of contour they yielded. The 2015 vote will prove more to me, once both these courses have matured.

Rye jumping into the World Top 100? Why Rye and not say, Deal? Or Prestwick? Or Mid-Ocean? Not sure, but in my mind, better Rye than some other 7,500-yard turf nursery.    

Finally, it's nice to see China place a course on the list. Shanqin Bay sets new standards for China--and Asia--right down to its built-in quirks, from blind shots to its unusual finish, flush with short par-4s.

Can you discern any trends? For instance, did any type course (links, parkland) etc. fare better than others?

First off, kudos to Seth Raynor, an overnight success nearly 90 years after his death. Firm and fast keeps gaining, especially when combined with seaside golf. We're definitely moving away from gargantuan, overshaped, "manufactured" courses in favor of charmers with more character. Just look at Rye, or Eastward Ho! and Country Club of Fairfield on the U.S. list. All seaside, and under 6,500 yards. Is that enough golf for really low handicappers? Who cares? Why does a course have to be hard to be considered great? Oh, because another magazine said so. Cabot Links epitomizes the new breed. You're paying no attention to the length of the holes. There are so many puzzles to be solved, amid such a scenic, delightful walk, there's no need to add up how many par-4s are of such-and-such length, or how many dogleg this way versus that way. You leave knowing you were involved and entertained every step of the way. Perhaps that's the new yardstick of greatness.

An aerial view of Cabot Links – #82 on the World List.

From the two lists combined, 100 courses in America are guaranteed to get exposure while something closer to 50 international courses are recognized. As a result, there is always great interest in those internationals that are on the cusp. Can you share with us which five internationals were next in line to make the world top 100?

In order, Sunningdale (New), Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie), Highlands Links, Punta Espada in the Dominican Republic and Prestwick. I have to add, however, that ultra reclusive Ellerston in Australia would have cracked the top 100 comfortably, but lacked the minimum of 10 votes--missing by one this year, ironically, due to the retirement of an Australian panelist, who didn't care for the course all that much, but whose vote would have propelled it into the rankings.

So close again this year, will Sunningdale New make it back on the World List in 2015?

Of the international courses that didn't make it, what course is the most polarizing (i.e. receives the most World top 50 support as well as some low marks below world top 200)?

Prestwick is absolutely one of those courses that folks "get" or they don't, at least for rankings purposes. Stoneforest's C course (Leaders Peak) in the mountains of southwest China (Kunming) is another. Some consider this Brian Curley creation to be one of the most spectacular on earth, a legitimate Top 75 Wow! Others must regard it as too much of a novelty layout, its rock formations perhaps too gimmicky for greatness. In a similar vein, one-time Top 100 member Old Head in Ireland earns huge numbers from its supporters, but too many 200-251 and 251-plus votes doom its chances.

Tell us about the panel. How many panelists are now on it? How many were new to 2013? Do you think you will keep growing it? Of the world top 100 courses, how many on average has a panelist played?

This year, I asked 116 panelists to respond, mostly as a way of ensuring that at least 100 votes would come in. That 100 number was important to me because a course needs at least 10 votes to warrant inclusion. Twelve panelists were new to the panel in 2013, but seven stepped down. Either they got mad at me, or just don't travel like they used to. A handful of panelists couldn't be reached or else never responded to multiple queries. A true head-scratcher.

The Old Course at St. Andrews and Pebble Beach picked up the most votes--104. I anticipate growing the panel, but slowly and in a limited way, just so we can cover more courses and more renovations in a proper manner. I'm really striving for greater international makeup among the panelists, and I'm partial to new panelists who have the ability to see the new courses in Asia in particular as well as those in emerging markets. That said, there is always room for qualified, younger, U.S.-based panelists. I like the consistency Golf Magazine achieves in its rankings from year to year, but fresh eyes and new blood is usually a good thing.

I haven't polled the panel lately, nor did I crunch all the numbers this time, but a couple of years ago, our panelists had played on average 73 of the World's Top 100. I know that a minimum of 12 members of our group have played at least one recent version of all Top 100 Courses in the World.  

Thanks to tweaks and improvements, Erin Hills enters the U.S. list at #96.  It continues to round into fine form in preparation for hosting the 2017 U.S. Open.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:19:30 PM by Ran Morrissett »

David_Tepper

Ran -

Thanks for this interview. It is always interesting to get a sense of how "the sausage gets made."

DT

Mark Bourgeois

How would you summarize the overall 2013 results?
“Golf Magazine's 2013 Top 100s dish out a perfect blend of surprise and predictability, of new and old. For every macho or post-modern success that might antagonize a purist, there's a petite, wind-blown, old-fashioned relic that now gets its day in the sun.”
Hey look, our panel created a camel!

“I'm pleased that international courses continue to make gains on the World list. I think that adds credibility, in that it shows our panelists are taking the time to travel the planet and judge every course fairly.”
Thank God a few panelists finally figured out how to get a passport. Americans, what can you do?

What result(s) surprised you the most in the World and U.S. Rankings?
“I'm still amazed at the consistency of the top courses.” All of the top 20 from 2011 stayed in the top 20, with only the tiniest of movements.”
Nothing ever changes up top so I have to invent ways to generate turnover in the middle and bottom, otherwise people lose interest.

“I must say the success of Trump Scotland surprised me. The Donald's bull-in-a-china-shop approach to building this course, and to life in general, really polarizes people and I wondered if voters might "punish" him and this course. They didn't. I do believe that once the novelty wears off, he's going to have to make it play more like a real links to have it hold its place or move up, but there's no question the holes and views are world-class.”
I can't believe he suckered so many people!

“Rye jumping into the World Top 100? Why Rye and not say, Deal? Or Prestwick? Or Mid-Ocean? Not sure, but in my mind, better Rye than some other 7,500-yard turf nursery.”
7,500-yard turf nurseries will be back on the list once they forget the carvery lunch.

“Finally, it's nice to see China place a course on the list. Shanqin Bay sets new standards for China--and Asia--right down to its built-in quirks, from blind shots to its unusual finish, flush with short par-4s.”
Look! A China course. We're global now!

From the two lists combined, 100 courses in America are guaranteed to get exposure while something closer to 50 international courses are recognized. As a result, there is always great interest in those internationals that are on the cusp. Can you share with us which five internationals were next in line to make the world top 100?
“In order, Sunningdale (New), Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie), Highlands Links, Punta Espada in the Dominican Republic and Prestwick.”
These are locks for #96-100 in 2015. Off in 2017.

Of the international courses that didn't make it, what course is the most polarizing (i.e. receives the most World top 50 support as well as some low marks below world top 200)?
“Prestwick is absolutely one of those courses that folks "get" or they don't, at least for rankings purposes.”
The club needs to sponsor a tournament for “classic clubs.”

Tell us about the panel. How many panelists are now on it? How many were new to 2013? Do you think you will keep growing it? Of the world top 100 courses, how many on average has a panelist played?
“I'm really striving for greater international makeup among the panelists, and I'm partial to new panelists who have the ability to see the new courses in Asia in particular as well as those in emerging markets.”
Maybe the locals will beat down Nine Bridges, the Nixon of courses. Every time I think I've found a way to kill it, the panelists bring it back – and stronger than before. I wish I knew why.

“Thanks to tweaks and improvements, Erin Hills enters the U.S. list at #96. It continues to round into fine form in preparation for hosting the 2017 U.S. Open.”
We're stuck with this turkey for at least 10 more years.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom_Doak

The first thing I noticed was in describing the trend for shorter courses among the newcomers, Joe accidentally touched on the real trend -- "all seaside".  This seems to be the main thing GOLF Magazine panelists are able to discern.  If a course is built by Long Island Sound (Fairfield) or Cape Cod Bay (Eastward Ho!), it must have been rated 50 places too low by every other ranking.

I'm also bothered by the obvious cheerleading [not just from Joe but from Ran] for "international" courses.  When the head of the panel is clearly rooting for certain results, panelists tend to cast more token votes to include a course in Korea or Portugal or Canada or wherever, to increase "diversity".  But it is only diversity of golf course architecture that the panel should be recognizing, NOT diversity of location.  The fans of Deal shouldn't be comparing it to Rye ... they should be comparing it to Nine Bridges, and wondering how the hell anyone thinks Nine Bridges is better.

Also, Joe forgot to qualify that the greens at Streamsong were frustratingly fast IN HIS OPINION, because I'm sure there was nowhere on the ballot for others to express that opinion.

Ran Morrissett

Tom,

‘All seaside’ is just the start. Such courses are typically bestowed with sandy soil, random landforms, wind, and long views. In many cases that means fewer homes and less hub-bub. Nobody appreciates such attributes more than you – stop pretending that it is as simplistic as pretty views of water.

Length becomes less significant on windy sites. More to the point, those factors that shape land forms (currents, wind, etc.) come together in a unique fashion all around the globe. The landforms at Durban are unlike any I have seen elsewhere. Same for Paraparaumu and Haagsche. Tom, I haven’t been to El Saler, as you have, but I imagine that the Mediterranean vegetation gives the course its own unique appeal, yes? Why not strive to have such diversity make the list?! 

In the quest for something new and different, I most definitely see the appeal of having many countries represented, ESPECIALLY those where grasses and playing conditions are conducive to good golf. That will likely exclude the high humidity parts of Asia in my book, but to each his own. I hold the design of Nirwana Bali in world top 100 esteem but hedge ranking the course there because it is in a tough part of the world for bouncy-bounce golf.

Were you ‘in charge’ of the GOLF rankings when Haig Point was in the ‘World Top 100’? Throw yourself at the mercy of the court and stop grumbling!

Best,

Bart Bradley

Would someone mind explaining how the votes are compiled into a list?

I know that each rater places the courses into the various ranking categories 1-3 ,4-10, 11-25, etc...but how is that information then used to compile and rank the courses?

Bart
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:13:42 PM by Bart Bradley »

Steve Lapper

Ran +1. The merits of going "worldwide" and "seeking diversity" far outweighs the relevance and individual opinion of a single voter.

Bart,

Votes are cast, like you note, into brackets: 1-3;4-10;11-25;26-50;51-75;76-100. You'd be best served asking Joe but to the best of my the knowledge the approximate 100 panelists votes are then tabulated by their respective brackets, assigned a mathematical value based on the # of votes into a particular bracket, then placed in order.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:16:49 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Niall C

Ran/Steve

The point Tom was making if I read him right is that by seeking a set of outcomes (ie. quota of courses in "rest of the world") you are introducing a bias and therefore the process of supposedly identifying the best course becomes bogus. It's about the quality of the course, not the country, whether it has a seaside location/views etc. And by the way, anyone who thinks Balmedie International has world-class views needs to learn that height and expansion of view doesn't equal quality.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back