News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: San Diego Country Club - Hidden Gem (Front & Back Nine Posted)
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
According to a 1921 American golfer article, in 1917 James Foulis completed construction on the first two Olympia Fields courses, designed by Bendelow and Watson. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
The Ambassador Golf Club Course was designed by Fowler and had just formally opened a few months before. Many revisions later it is now Rancho Park.  The LA North Course must be course built by Thomas to Fowler's plans.  

It is hard to imagine Rancho Park without all the Eucalyptis trees. Was Hillcrest already built?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

DMoriarty

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
Rancho had no trees and originally was much more expansive, utilizing about 180 acres, but it eventually gave up about 60 acres to the driving range, par three course, sports fields, tennis courts, rec center, pool, playground, basketball courts, archery range, pétanque courts and picnic areas.  

Hillcrest joined the SCGA in 1921 and the article from June 1921 mentions Hillcrest (which was also designed by Watson) but I haven't confirmed that it was open for play in 1921.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Patrick Kiser

Re: San Diego Country Club - Hidden Gem (Front & Back Nine Posted) New
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »
Bumping this thread because I'd like to share with you a nice little surprise I came across while revisiting the San Diego Country Club.

The club recently hosted the SCGA Amateur and I have to say the course was holding up quite well post tournament.  Some coverage of the event and videos below:
http://www.scga.org/amateur
http://www.scga.org/2011calendar/amateurchamp.aspx

The club is poised in all likelihood to host the US Women's Amateur in 2017:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Jul/01/san-diego-country-club-women-am/

So a lot going on at the club on the tournament front.

Well ... there's even some GCA interest going on!  So much so that the club is fully embracing the William Watson heritage now to compliment the William P. Bell (Sr.) involvement at a later time.

The club has gone so far as to commission a plaque commemorating Watson's involvement.  The club has also revamped their website to reflect the adjustment in design credit to William Watson.

And guess who had some involvement for the plaque content?  Our very own Geoff Shackelford and ... The Emperor Tommy Naccarato!

Well done all around and a win for GCA!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:25:54 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back