News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

I had forgotten how good
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
Westchester West is and how it seems to be incredibly under rated.

The topography is quite unique, yet the course is layed upon the land quite comfortably, providing a challenge that's enjoyable to meet.

The fairways are generous and the putting surfaces are very, very interesting and challenging with plenty of contour and slope.

I think # 2, 3 and 6 were rated amongst the most challenging holes on the PGA TOUR, but the real asset at WCC is the brilliant use of the unique topography, it's quite good

I know that their are a number of great courses in the immediate neighborhood, but Westchester should get more praise.

If it was located in the Midwest, Far West or South, it would be a top 100 course.

Why does it see to be so under rated ?

Mac Plumart

Re: I had forgotten how good
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
I had forgotten how good Westchester West is and how it seems to be incredibly under rated.

Pat, why do you think you forgot how good it was?  I ask because I don't think this phenomena is all that rare for courses and it has to be the reason why certain courses are, indeed, under-rated.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Mac,

Time and all the courses I've played since I last played Westchester over a decade ago  are the reasons I had forgotten how good it is.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
Westchester West is and how it seems to be incredibly under rated.

The topography is quite unique, yet the course is layed upon the land quite comfortably, providing a challenge that's enjoyable to meet.

The fairways are generous and the putting surfaces are very, very interesting and challenging with plenty of contour and slope.

I think # 2, 3 and 6 were rated amongst the most challenging holes on the PGA TOUR, but the real asset at WCC is the brilliant use of the unique topography, it's quite good

I know that their are a number of great courses in the immediate neighborhood, but Westchester should get more praise.

If it was located in the Midwest, Far West or South, it would be a top 100 course.

Why does it see to be so under rated ?

Pat- I agree wholeheartedly with your premise that Westchester West is indeed underrated. It really has a fantastic collection of holes and as was his forte Travis designed a great set of greens. He always seemed to get the most out of the unique sites he was given.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:31 AM »
I always thought it had some of the best green complexes on metro-NY, but had a good 3000 too many trees which kept people from appreciating the brilliant use of the topgraphy. Hopefully, it is far from a done deal, but Fazio is slated to blow up a couple of greens and rerout a couple holes in addition to adding 300-400 yards.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
Tim,

One of the outstanding features is how he routed that course over that terrain, it's really quite special.

That terrain is rather pronounced and without the benefit of satellites, GPS and high tech, he produced an outstanding golf course that remains enjoyable to play to this day.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »
RMD,

I had dinner with the President on July 4th and we discussed the club/course at length.

But, I didn't play it until July 6th.

Agreed about the trees.

As to the length, it needs none, especially since the Barclays is history.
Adding 300-400 yards would eliminate any member play from those tees.
We played the combination blue/black tees and it presented more than an adequate challenge to our group, one of whom typically hits his drives 300 yards

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
The Westchester Classic always was one of my favorite tournaments to watch on tv. Seemed like a great course.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
RMD,

I had dinner with the President on July 4th

At the risk of getting some green ink, I knew you were connected, but that is pretty impressive of you to score a dinner date with Mr. Obama on the country's birthday!   ;D

Ed Homsey

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »
Great to see this thread.  I have played the WCC west just once, but left there thinking that it is a wonderful course and, as with Mr. Mucci, I was very impressed with the use that Travis made of the intriguing terrain in his routing and siting of greens.  I remember many trees--particularly around green sites--that needed removal.  I am concerned about the selection of Fazio Design to do work there.  What green sites are they "blowing up", what routing changes, and what style of bunkering will they introduce?

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back