News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Saticoy Country Club is something of a brute from the back two markers  (75.1/143 and 73.3/140) with narrow fairways the norm and lush rough and overhanging tree limbs ready to catch offline shots.  The bunkers were redone several years about by John Harbottle.  A shot in a fairway bunker is near a full stroke penalty.

The opening hole at Saticoy is a downhill 400 yard par-4.  This narrow fairway is made more difficult to find thanks to the elevation change.  

The 330 yard 2nd is a short par-4, where it seems that the trees are the 'key' to protecting par.  The view from the tee is altogether confusing with trees overhanging from the left combine with a centreline tree.  The approach is played to a very narrow a steeply sloped green that helps to explain why this hole plays as one of the most difficult on the course in US Open Qualifying.

The third is another 400+ yard par-4 and moves gently uphill to a green protected by a false-front that will reject shots slightly mis-struck:

The 4th plays into the wind and at over 225 yards will require a wood for all but the longest hitters:

After another mid-length par-4 at the 5th, we reach the first par-5 of the day with the 500 yard 6th.  This bunker protecting the 6th green gives an idea of the Harbottle work...

The straightaway 7th is made notable by a false-front so severe that the front half of the green is not pinnable.

The 8th is the most interestingly bunkered hole on the course as staggered bunkers in the driving zone forces the golfer to consider club selection from the tee.  The hole is capped by another severe green that tilts hard back toward the tee:

After the uphill par-3 9th, the golfer crosses the clubhouse to reach the drop-shot 10th:

There is no doubt the back-nine encompasses the more interesting land.  The 440 yard 11th features a wildly tilted fairway that is near impossible to hit unless the golfer can rope a hook into its face:

The 13th is a very nice par-3 with an excellently selected green-site set naturally into the side of the hill.  Fitting the lay of the land, the green tilts from right-to-left:

Certainly the most picturesque hole on the course, the short par-5 14th plays hard against a steep drop-off into the valley below.

The 16th is slightly similar to the 12th in that the golfer will lay-up from the tee before the hole doglegs right leaving a short approach. Where it differs in the very long green that is so severely sloped there is serious consideration being made to softening.  

The 17th is a monstrous 480 yard par-4 made shorter by the elevation change.  

The 18th is a 550 yard 'S' shaped par-5.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:29:36 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Greg Chambers

Re: Saticoy Country Club (William Bell) - A Photo Tour!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
Thanks for the quick tour, Mark.  Nice photos.  I was able to (finally) play Saticoy CC the other day, and was pleasantly surprised.  Nothing that was really knock your socks off great, but I thought it was a solid course throughout.  There was actually more room off the tee than what I was expecting (except for #2) but they could certainly stand to lose some trees.  The greens weren't lightening quick when we played, but I've heard they can become downright treacherous when they speed them up!  Certainly a course I could play every day.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
Thanks for another photo tour. It never hurts to mention where the course is located (Ventura County, CA).

http://www.saticoycountryclub.com/

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
Thanks for another photo tour. It never hurts to mention where the course is located (Ventura County, CA).

http://www.saticoycountryclub.com/

Amended the title... thanks

Bob_Huntley

Before I joined Riviera in the early seventies I would drive up to Saticoy to play the course. A  good friend,  Lee Martin was the pro there who I met at The Carmel Valley Country Club and who left for Florida, but couldn't wait to get back to California; he did and was the pro at the club for a number of years. He was the pro who sold Bobby Clampett's mother his first set of clubs and was his first teacher.

Get away from LACC, Riviera, Bel Air and Wilshire I doubt that there was a better test of golf of than you could find in Los Angeles County than Saticoy.

Bob

Tommy Williamsen

I played the course some fifteen years ago.  I had not heard of the club but went on the advice of a friend when I was visiting LA. I was certainly surprised that it flew so far under the radar.  I remember it being very tight in spots but that the green complexes were very good.  Thanks for the tour.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Bartman

Before I joined Riviera in the early seventies I would drive up to Saticoy to play the course. A  good friend,  Lee Martin was the pro there who I met at The Carmel Valley Country Club and who left for Florida, but couldn't wait to get back to California; he did and was the pro at the club for a number of years. He was the pro who sold Bobby Clampett's mother his first set of clubs and was his first teacher.

Get away from LACC, Riviera, Bel Air and Wilshire I doubt that there was a better test of golf of than you could find in Los Angeles County than Saticoy.

Bob

El Cab  and Lakeside CC are certainly  better tests of golf, but Saticoy is a much better test than Wilshire.  

Certainly could use some serious tree removal, a difficult task with Southern California's political climate. 

That being said, other than #2 and #10 its a pretty good golf course.  
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:17:01 PM by David Bartman »
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Played it a long time ago... maybe before Harbottle work.  Good course.  Too.  Many.  Trees.  Very good greens and pretty interesting terrain and architectiure in many places that are just covered over and hidden be the trees.

Lynn_Shackelford

I told someone once that they need to remove about 10 tress on each hole.  His reply was better, they need to keep only 10 trees on each hole.
The 14th is now the best hole on the course because a fire burned all the trees on the left edge of the fairway.

David B. is right, those trees will never be removed.

One of my UCLA BB teammate's grandfather was a founder of the club in the 1920's.  George Thomas and Billy Bell built the original layout.  When they moved to the new site William F. Bell, Billy's son, built the current layout in 1963.  Not much is left of the original layout, it is 9 hole course and has been altered many times due to a park construction adjacent.  There are a few cool mounds and that is it.

The members call it the best course in Ventura County, but I rank it well behind Soule Park and Ojai Valley Inn, and of course Rustic Canyon.

Lee Martin was a great instructor of many juniors for years in Ventura County.  I don't know about now, but I hope he is still teaching at River Ridge.  A quality guy.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

JC Urbina

A very nice set of greens with a routing that maximizes the landform it sits on.

Standout holes- 3,5,7,11,12,14,16.17

Peter Pallotta

Re: Saticoy Country Club (William Bell), Ventura, CA - A Photo Tour!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
It reminds me (visually) of the only course I've ever played in California, El Caballero. Man, that was one tough golf course for me (granted, I'm not very good, but man....)

Peter

David Bartman

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
It reminds me (visually) of the only course I've ever played in California, El Caballero. Man, that was one tough golf course for me (granted, I'm not very good, but man....)

Peter

While not in my opinion a great course, EL Cab is a very good test of ones abilities.  US OPEN sectionals are there from time to time and usually 3 or 4 under is all it take to make it. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Jim Eder

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
Saticoy held the 2009 Sectional qualifying for the US Open. Charlie Wi qualified with 3 under and even par qualified.

Mr. Urbina,

That is a lot of standout holes. I would agree those are very fine. The greens are very interesting with movement and sections and one must hit shots taking spin off often in order to avoid that rejection of the false fronts. A lot of thinking is needed to hit the right shot (low with less spin, high with more spin etc) and/or sometimes tee shot placement (layup and hit more club with a lower trajectory instead of driver and wedge - #7 for ex). A person could hit many drivers or a person could hit no drivers and either one with the right play could be the right way to go.  There are more options than many people think imo.

Thank you for your views.

What about 18 as one of the better par 5s? Tough green, one really has to think about going for it in two with a lot of risk and fair amount of reward. Maybe the risk reward is too skewed to the risk? If you lay-up it is not the easiest, up hill, into the wind approach to a green with a lot of movement. Par tends to be a good score.

The par 3s are very interesting and challenging. 4 is a brute with wind into and slightly left to right to a narrow well bunkered green, 9 an uphill par 3 with subtle breaks, 13 again to an in, left to right wind to a well bunkered green with a fair amount of movement. 10 the weakest of the par 3s has a very sloped right to left green with an into and left to right wind.

When the greens are fast one must position their ball in the right place to score. Some misses (like a miss past a right front pin on 3) need creativity in order to get up and down or they are a certain bogey (or worse).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back