News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Marion - all said and done
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »
Let's have a wrap-up.  Never been there.  Way above my head.  Skeptical.  Can't really see it on TV.  But all said and done, seems to me it was a great test, great entertainment, and a golfer won.

BHoover

Re: Marion - all said and done
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
From what I saw on TV, I thought it was fantastic. Very tough and identified the best players during the week.

I've heard some pros grumbling (Zach Johnson and Tiger), so IMO that means the USGA probably got it right. I have zero sympathy for tour pros who complain about course setup when the entire field faces the same setup.

Bottom line, I think Merion proved it can stand up to modern players.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
I've been looking forward to this open since I started hanging out on this site. I wasn't disappointed.

I did think the course was a bit "tricked up" to inflate scores. If the weather had given fast and firm conditions, it might have gotten out of control. I think everyone underestimated the course's difficulty, including the USGA. It was a pretty perfect Open, but firm and fast conditions would've made it a hit and hope crapshoot I think.

Altogether though, it's obviously a great course and maybe the most visually striking and memorable inland course I've seen on TV. I can remember almost every hole, which I can't really say about many other courses. It's also a club that not only IS historic, but fosters a sense of history. It was cool to see players seeking out the Hogan plaque when I don't think anyone in the field was even alive for that shot. A lot of courses are historic, but Merion embraces its history in a way that seems to create real appreciation from people who might otherwise be uninterested. It's really a wonderful venue for this tournament, and I hope we see it again sooner than later.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
I liked the sequencing - hard, birdie opportunities, hard.  It seemed like the perfect sequence for a US Open.

noonan

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
If they leave the fairways so narrow - bring back the graduated rough

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »
The thing I believe that would really be great from a golf architecture study standpoint is if a regular tour event would now be scheduled, similar to when they moved the AT&T to Aronimink (that Rose also won) and do a normal setup, meaning 30 yard wide (or more FWs), moderate rough and green speeds about 11 and hope for firm ground.  That way, we could see the course attacked wiith much more attention paid to the ground countours, and wider berth of angle selections perhaps leading to new perspectives on the impact of great architecture.  

I wouldn't have any trouble at all seeing the pros go into the minus teens with a less tricked up USGA protection of par set up and let more of the real architecture show.  

The USGA got what it seems to always desire- a schlogfest of rough and precision, and the mentality to persist with strategy where par is king.  But, I do think that it does nothing to stimulate the imagination of golf fans or less avid golf viewers as to the more multi-dimensional aspects of golf architecture from another era.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:31:30 PM »
I like Phil complaining to Mike Davis that he couldn't reach the 270-yard 3rd hole Sunday, which made the hole set up "terrible." Well, maybe if he had opted to keep his driver in the bag instead of dropping it for a fifth wedge. Distance wasn't the issue; he hit the next hole, 571 yards, in two. He just had the wrong club for the par-3. Blame the USGA.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
Two great US Open pieces on, of all placed, Buzzfeed.

1. Surely the Philly GCAers know some of these people!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/whats-so-great-about-golf-for-many-people-the-answer-is-dad

2. This is amusing and accurate:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/the-11-kinds-people-youll-meet-at-every-golf-tournament

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
Wonderful course, wonderful open. Definitely worthy.

I hope we don't have to wait 32 years to see another one there.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
Wonderful course, wonderful open. Definitely worthy.

I hope we don't have to wait 32 years to see another one there.

+1
After attending today, I even liked the setup (other than #2)-and even then I simply would've widened the fairway 10 more yards left.

More importantly, the logistics were wonderful, the best of 4 US Opens I've attended.
I daresay things were nearly as well setup as Augusta, and the intimacy of the place in many ways was better than Augusta, without feeling the least bit crowded or jammed up-and the spectating was great on MANY parts of the course, without waiting a moment.
Somebody did their homework, and I was quite critical of the logistics of the Opens I attended at Bethpage.
USGA, raise my dues-if that's what it takes to continue having a "boutique" US Opens.Really great and on a perfect scale at an incredible venue.

A special shout out to an anonymous GCAer who hosted me in the members area.
Had my son stationed 20 feet from the first tee and had a ringside seat to see all plaayers including the leaders tee off.
Made a fantastic day incredibly special
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back