News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Tillinghast's Hell's Half Acres
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »
I've noticed on many of the Tillinghast courses I've played, he liked to include a version of the Hell's Half Acre as seen on Pine Valley's 7th (I know there is some debate as to whether or not that was Tilly's idea, but that is not the point of this thread).  The point, is to see what these HHA's versions look like today, what they looked like in the past if available, and to discuss how well they work.

I've seen HHA's on 3 of Tillinghast's courses. 

First is the 9th at Somerset Hills, a 530 yard par-5 that plays uphill the entire way.  The HHA should not be in play after a drive in the fairway (doesn't mean it isn't), but certainly drives in the rough may be forced to lay-up.

The next example I've seen is at the 14th at Quaker Ridge in NY.  Like the hole at Somerset Hills, this hole is a mid-length par-5 that plays uphill.  Here the HHA is set closer to the green meaning drives in the rough/bunkers are almost forced to lay-up and even players in the fairway must consider carefully the option of laying up.

Finally, the 14th at Baltimore CC (East) is a gargantuan par-5 that plays over 600 yards from the back tees.  Here the HHA is considerably longer than at the other holes mentioned -- approximately 65 yards in the air to carry.

Mark McKeever

Re: Tillinghast's Hell's Half Acres
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
Saltzy, we will be able to add Philadelphia Cricket to this list a year from now!!

To add to the thread, there is a HHA at Wyoming Valley CC in Wilkes Barre PA.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it though.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
Also, the famous Grand Hazard at Bethpage Black.

Mark

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Mark,

The 3rd on the East nine and the 4th on the West nine at Ridgewood (NJ) have hybid HHA's in the form of mounds and rough.

They are very effective.

The 10th/1st at Shackamaxon has a water feature that provides a similar challenge in terms of the decision making process.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Saltzy, we will be able to add Philadelphia Cricket to this list a year from now!!

To add to the thread, there is a HHA at Wyoming Valley CC in Wilkes Barre PA.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it though.

Mark
Look for Concord to reinstall Flynns HHA  in 2015
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »
On which hole Ed?

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »
Mark, I pulled up some aerials from the 50s.  Here is a June 3, 1953 image of Somerset Hills...

...with a close up of the 9th hole...

Next, a February 2, 1954 aerial of Quaker Ridge...

...with a close up of the 14th hole...

And, finally, a March 26, 1956 aerial of Baltimore CC East...

...with a close up of #14...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:59:09 PM by Ed Oden »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »
Ed,

What's neat about your 1956 aerial of SHGC is that you can see remnants of the racetrack which was incorporated into the golf course

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
On which hole Ed?
Hello Mark,
16.  We have Flynns original drawings for his number 7 ,I think , plans at work so unsure as to correct number.

But when you take his plans and overlay them on the current 16 it can be done easily, pull the tee back and let the digging begin. A major plus would be that we can fix 14 at the same time. Make it a nice par four and get rid of the angle.
Ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joey Chase

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
There's a pretty interesting feature short of the 12th? green at Fenway that might fall into this category as well.  Fenway is as good of an under the radar Tilly course as there is.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:48:33 AM by Joey Chase »

Powell Arms

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
Here is the old HHA on par 5 4th hole on the Tillinghast Wissahickon course.  It looks very similar to the old Baltimore photos above.

It was removed ca. 1970, and is now just narrow fairway with a single bunker and rough covered mounds.  It will be restored in Keith Foster's restoration.

And the example fronting the green, also to be restored, on Wissahickon 14, a short downhill par 4.  

Thanks to Joe Bausch for the modern photos.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Kris Spence

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
Pic of new "HHA" hole #7 Rock Hill CC, SC  The aerial did not show sand in this location, but there were obvious shaped forms in the grass  along the left side and protruding into the fairway.  We decided to complete the feature and did so with 9 bunkers to allow drainage to pass across the area and to cover the entire up slope leading to the upper fairway .  Bunkers start about 285 from middle of back tee which is a good distance to make the player think about driver or something a bit less.  This feature is the first thing you see when turning into the club.  The par 3 second hole features 4 cross bunkers 100 from tee, example of Tilly adding "Duffers Headache" bunkers in 1934?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:02:47 PM by Kris Spence »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
The 3rd hole at Fenway has a presentation worthy of study, as well.

I think Baltusrol 17 (even 18, no?) deploy some iteration of the concept.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ed Oden

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
The 3rd hole at Fenway has a presentation worthy of study, as well.

I think Baltusrol 17 (even 18, no?) deploy some iteration of the concept.

cheers

vk

Vinnie, the 17th at Baltusrol definitely.  But I don't see it in the 18th.  Here is an August 27, 1954 aerial of Baltusrol (Lower and Upper)...

...and here is a close up of the 17th hole...

V. Kmetz

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
Agreed on #18 Baltusrol ...I just couldn't remember how the second half of the hole is divided from the first...

also, it just occurs to me that my favorite Tillinghast par 5...and my favorite hole in perhaps all of golf...Bethpage Black #4...has what can be described as the most glorious "Hell complex" ever devised...

I want to say on the subject that Quaker Ridge #14 is one of the most pleasing holes to tackle no matter what you score.  That elevated tee shot is so handsome and gives you a full view of the hole, but when you descend to the landing zone, the mystery perks up again as the ground rises through the Hell complex.  just a gorgeous, gorgeous hole and one of the significant reasons why Quaker Ridge ranks high for me, even though I'm generally a critic of the course.

What is good at Quaker (like this 14th along with 4,5,8-13, 15, 17) is SO good that it overcomes its deficiencies.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Pic of new "HHA" hole #7 Rock Hill CC, SC  The aerial did not show sand in this location, but there were obvious shaped forms in the grass  along the left side and protruding into the fairway.  We decided to complete the feature and did so with 9 bunkers to allow drainage to pass across the area and to cover the entire up slope leading to the upper fairway .  Bunkers start about 285 from middle of back tee which is a good distance to make the player think about driver or something a bit less.  This feature is the first thing you see when turning into the club.  The par 3 second hole features 4 cross bunkers 100 from tee, example of Tilly adding "Duffers Headache" bunkers in 1934?

Kris,
       I look foward to playing RHCC and seeing your work.
                                                                                             Bruce

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
Ed,

If you'll look carefully you'll see AWT's HHA on the second hole at Baltusrol lower, a par 4.

How many other par 4's had a HHA ?

Ed Oden

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:17 PM »
Ed,

If you'll look carefully you'll see AWT's HHA on the second hole at Baltusrol lower, a par 4.

How many other par 4's had a HHA ?

Pat, good catch.  Here is a closer look...

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

At the top of the image is the Sahara complex that belongs to the par-5, 3rd hole at Fenway GC. There is OB on the left and some room between it and the bunker complex so there is no "forced" carry.

Is the forced carry what distiguishes a Sahara from a Hell's Half Acre?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »
Mike,

I've always felt that a true Sahara and/or HHA had to traverse the entire fairway, and that those that didn't were hybrids.

The 11th hole at Baltusrol upper has the same feature as Fenway # 3

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back