News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Woodland Hills vs. Ojai
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
If you had a week in LA, with five days for golf which course would you play the most ?

Thanks

David_Tepper

Re: Woodland Hills vs. Ojai
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »
Mark -

Ojai is a healthy drive from central LA. However, Soule Park, the muni in Ojai, is a pretty good compliment to the Ojai resort course.

http://www.soulepark.com/

DT
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:00:57 PM by David_Tepper »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:00:34 PM »
Mark -

Ojai is a healthy drive from central LA. However, Soule Park, the muni in Ojai, is a pretty good compliment to the Ojai resort course.

DT

I agree... played both Ojai (Reosrt) and Soule Park in 2010 and enjoyed them both. Not sure if anything positive or negative has happened to them in terms of construction or maintenance, but five rounds between these two courses would be 3-Ojai/2-Soule... if money's an issue just flip it.  Fun either way.... play the resort ain't too shabby.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »
Don't forget the Forest Richardson-designed Olivas Links (public) in Ventura.

www.olivaslinks.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »
Mark -

http://www.soulepark.com/

DT

Soule Park was a very pleasant surprise on my recent trip to LA.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
If you can get access to WHCC you should also drive down Ventura blvd and play El  Caballero CC and Calabasas Park CC. Will save you alot of time on the freeway. If you haven't played Rustic Canyon then that should be top pick.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joe Perches

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:07:58 AM »
If you can get access to WHCC you should also drive down Ventura blvd and play El  Caballero CC and Calabasas Park CC. Will save you alot of time on the freeway. If you haven't played Rustic Canyon then that should be top pick.

Good suggestion Tim about El Cab but Calabasas?  Surely someplace else.  Sherwood, Saticoy, gads, even Spanish Hills and Sterling before Calabasas...

Bill Faley

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
Though I have not played Ojai, I grew up in SoCal and would allocate 5 rounds thusly:

Ojai: 1 (to evaluate whether it is worth another go-around)
WHCC: 1
Rustic Canyon: 2 (this course deserves at least 2 rounds)
TBD: 1 (if you like Ojai or WHCC more, or another of the suggested courses in this thread - Soule park?)

Woodland Hills CC is a sentimental pick for me as it was my high school's home course for the 4 years I was there. It's an interesting track. It winds its way up and down the San Fernando Valley foothills and offers some spectacular panoramas, albeit on non-smoggy days. There are a couple throwaway holes on the front nine (6 & 7....back-to-back par 3s through housing developments), but the finishing 9 makes up for it. Overall, it is short and very narrow, but has a certain charm that made me appreciate Billy Bell as a designer. Bring a 3 wood or long iron that you can use to hit a 20 yard wide fairway, and a flatstick that you can leave the head cover on when attempting a putt from above the hole.

Rustic Canyon is a really fun track. There is plenty of room to hit it off the tee, but only a couple preferred angles to come into certain pin placements. The greens are definitely a challenge. I consider myself a decent putter, but I can remember at least a trio of 4 putts that I have racked up on that course. If playing for friendly stakes with another, opt for match play instead of stroke play.

Have fun!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back