News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Mallard

Rosapenna popped up on my twitter feed, and snooping around, it seems they modified the 12th green on the Sandy Hills course. Looks like they extended the green both left and right and removed the front left bunker.

https://twitter.com/Rosapenna1893/status/685103053054308352

Ally Mcintosh

Yes,

I believe Beau Welling has re-shaped the 18th, 13th and 12th greens over the last 3 winters. Haven't seen any of the work in the flesh but keen to get back up this year and have a walk around.

Ally

Thomas Dai

I actually rather liked the Sandy Hills course. The two things I didn't think much of were......light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.......the revised 13th and 18th greens! I also liked the 12th green as it was! Each to their own I suppose!
Atb

jeffwarne

Great thread Dave and great comments from the board.
I've made 4 trips to that area of Donegal now and first played the Old in '97 based on Finnegan's writing.

By far my best experience at Rosapenna as there was no clubhouse(paid in the bar down the road) and the Old course was at it's most unchanged, intimate with only the slight awkwardness of the dual road crossings on the Coastguard nine, which was a significant contrast to the Old front nine/10 with a dramatic climb upwards over the town after the intimate walk around the front.

Since then I've been back in 2007 and played both and stayed in the hotel.
I found it very sterile and uncharming along with the staff and clientele (think ski lifts in Europe), a very unusual experience for Ireland, especially that part of Ireland. The New Ruddy course was particularly brutal, though consisting of many spectacular shots and holes. That said one of my amateurs shot his lowest round ever, an 83 which given the conditions and that course, was nothing short of incredible.

Returned in 2011, didn't stay there and played only the OTM, which by now had scrapped the CoastGuard nine for the new redone Ruddy/Doak and used that nine for the start.
 Pretty good holes routed through reasonably wild dunes without a lot of climbing-perhaps a bit of repetition but that's mainly a feature of the terrain-or could just be me.
The original OTM front was now the back, after an awkward transition across the parking lot past the ever sterile yellow clubhouse.
Gone was the old  gentle handshakefirst hole, and the new 10th was the second half of the old second, now a dogleg left rather than a straightaway par 4. The rest of the original OTM front (now the back) remained intact and charming as ever-a very good feel to those holes (11-18 on OTM)

Was back this year and didn't play either course though did drive by on the way from Portsalon to Dunfanaghy. Noticed the fairway cutting at St. patricks-would have loved to have played there-didn't even know it existed when it was still open in '97 on my first visit.

Dave's pictures make me want to go back and give it another go, but frankly there's so much good golf in that area it's difficult to fit it in and with the hospitality so warm at every other venue and lodging in that area, fighting with Germans for trollies and tee times(despite being booked and confirmed) with an indifferent staff has little or no appeal to me.
There's really no course or experience in the area i want to sacrifice a day for to return-but based on others' experiences it seems to have improved.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jonathan Mallard

Jeff -

Just another perspective from after your stay in '07. We stayed there in '09, and I found the staff very helpful. They walked around to our table, and booked our tee time that evening for the next day. We made a side trip to Cruit Island, and were late getting in for the dinner included with our stay. Not to worry, they took our order over the phone, and everything was prepared wonderfully for us to eat upon our slightly late arrival.

The new Ruddy/Doak 9 was not operational quite yet. I thought highly of the original OTM layout.

Sean_A

Things went smoothly for us when we stayed at the hotel and the price was very right.  The courses were kind of empty during beautiful weather...same for the hotel.  As Jeff said, the house and hotel are without any soul, but they do the job.  The bottom line for me is Sandy Hills is way too tight with too many greens similarily raised.  Though there are some good holes.  I much preferred the OTM course and would play it again...Sandy Links...not so much.     

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:54:04 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Matt MacIver

For some strange reason these pictures remind me of Black Mesa...and that's a good thing. So pretty I forget how hard it is.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back