News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: The Tee/Fairway cut at Redstone, love it !
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
Having played both Redstone and Woodlands, there is no doubt which one I would go back and play.
The Woodlands was so much more fun to play, you have to think a little more the par threes are way better , and those last few holes can be game changing.
I am one who found the 'manufactured" look of the course this weekend rather nauseating and all that I personally find  dismaying about modern architecture.
Manufactured lakes, for whatever reason, to make holes more difficult an over indulgence in manicuring, all be it to mimic Augusta.
I certainly get the SHO's intent and they appear to do a great job of that, just not my cup of tea.
that being said I am sure SHO do not care what tea I drink ;D

Jeff Blume

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
Mike,

My index is a 4.6, but I am playing to about a 12.  Five rounds in the last six months probably has something to do with that  ;D.

The fairway width at Redstone is very generous particularly when you consider there is virtually no rough.  Consequently, approach shots are not dictated by the lie of the ball, but rather by the features of the course.  While I would agree that the course favors someone who plays a draw, there are a number of holes where a fade is the preferred shot.  Greens with somewhat open approaches include #2, #3, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #17 and #18.  Usually, these approaches are flanked on one or both sides by hazards, but in the right conditions a run-up shot is a possibility.  Further, the greens are large and not radically contoured allowing for a multitude of options for hole locations.  Multiple teeing grounds also provide variety. 

I am not saying that Redstone is the ideal course, or even one of the top two or three in Houston.  However, it is not as poor as many on this site would lead you to believe.  Sometimes the anti-Rees biase around here gets a little carried away.  The fact is that he has forgotten more about golf course architecture than many on here will ever know.  Whether you like his designs or not he is certainly competent and qualified.

As you know, there are not alot of visually striking courses in Houston due to the lack of terrain, but a couple that I think are good include:

Walden on Lake Conroe (certainly its "triangle" holes)
Grand Pines (Jeff Blume biase)
Elkins Lake (again Jeff Blume biase)
Miramont (unbeatable conditioning)
Carlton Woods (only seen Nicklaus)

I have not seen your project, but from what people on here have said, it may belong on the list as well.

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
 8) Nice to see the WCC's Tournament Course get a little love...   Everybody should remember May 3-5 the old Sr. guys will be there ... and there's no admission charge... also they're got Arnie & Jack & Gary, and Lee Buck T coming back to have a little fun playing together ... things are a little stressed with a month to go due to replacing all the greens last year, hopefully the bermuda will come to life a little more.. they only keep us off a week before the tourney...

GYou want Views in Houston?

The Carlton Woods Fazio has "some" upmarket good views, akin to Fallen Oak in Biloxi

If you want some fun, try out Wedgewood in Conroe, some very interesting down market views there
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gary Slatter

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
Jeff:   good tournament and great effort!  We know what it takes to run an event such as the SHO, and due to the time of the year, it's not just another PGA TOUR tournament.   Apparently I am in the minority about the set-up of the course, I thought it looked good and could be a cheaper way to maintain courses.  IMHO it looked like the original courses when tees were a couple paces from the cup.  I liked the wide fairways, frought with penalties on one side or the other, and the large greens make stats deceiving.   For Houston, I feel it looks great.  I hope it was great for SHELL too!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Matthew Rose

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »
Yes, kudos to you and to the HGA for running a terrific tournament year after year.

Both of my grandfathers have ties to the Houston Open. My maternal grandfather was a board member of the HGA at one time, and my paternal grandfather when he lived in Houston used to play in the pro-am a few times in the 70s and early 80s when it was still played on the original Woodlands course (not the TPC).

What is weird is that they did not know each other at all and it is possible they may have attended the same tournament.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
Yes, kudos to you and to the HGA for running a terrific tournament year after year.

Both of my grandfathers have ties to the Houston Open. My maternal grandfather was a board member of the HGA at one time, and my paternal grandfather when he lived in Houston used to play in the pro-am a few times in the 70s and early 80s when it was still played on the original Woodlands course (not the TPC).

What is weird is that they did not know each other at all and it is possible they may have attended the same tournament.

What was your grandfather who was on the boards name?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 01:41:45 AM »
His name was Charles Smayda; he was an oral surgeon. Also ran a boys ranch in Kerrville, Texas which was where he spent his retirement years. He kept some very big company; I have a few of his golf books which were signed by Arnold Palmer, who I guess was an acquaintance of his.

I actually did not meet him for the first time until shortly before his death; he was estranged from my mother and her siblings for most of his life.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Jeff
Thanks and I'm glad you're keeping busy.
What was your low index over the last 5 years?

The fairway widths I quoted were from measurements - not guesses.
I have not seen the rough since I played a few years ago.

Have you ever tried to run a ball up to the greens intentionally?
I just measured the entrances to greens 2-4, I got bored after those 3, and got less than 10 yards on each.
Who can bump one in on those greens, or who would.
Missing by 1 yard puts the player in the hazard.
It is so much better to fly it in on every hole.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back