News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Plum Hollow's designer ?
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Plum Hollow was once attributed to Alison,  Ive heard mention of Wilfred Reid as well. its a great routing over very nice terrain. Does anyone have info as to  the original architect ?

thanks

Bradley Anderson

Re: Plum Hollow's designer ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
On Reid's stationary he listed Plum Hollow as a "remodel". That could mean that he added a few tees or moved some bunkers. Who knows?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
Mark

I had another look through the Colt and Alison ads.  Plum Hollow is shown on one of them,  but not on others.  So it's a bit confusing...
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

David Kelly

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »
Plum Hollow is an Alison solo effort.  If David Wigler see this thread he could give us some more info as he is a member.

One of the sternest sets of par 3 holes I have encountered.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:49:58 PM »
Plum Hollow is an Alison solo effort.  If David Wigler see this thread he could give us some more info as he is a member.

One of the sternest sets of par 3 holes I have encountered.

I've been hearing this for a few years that it's an Alison.  I can't find anything that concurs with this.  "The Architects of Golf"  list's it as a Reid/Connellan with renovations by Newcomb, Matthews and Hills.  There is also no mention of it on the Colt Association website.  I've been told that Alison may have been hired at first but it didn't materialize and so Reid/Connellan did it.  I also have the Colt and Co. book that comes with a leaflet inside that list's their courses and it doesn't have Plum on there.

To me personally, it doesn't look anything like Alison courses that I've seen.  People do like the course and I'd agree that it's got some outstanding par 3's but it's way over treed.  It is however, the flatest hilly golf course you'll ever play.

Mark what are these Colt and Alison ads your referring too?

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
I agree with you about the trees.

Here is an old thread from 10 years ago that discusses who did what at Plum Hollow (among other things).
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4271.0.html

Also, the PH website says it was built based on Alison's plans.

I don't know what the proof is in either case.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
While playing the Canadian Senior Open a few years ago at my home club, Essex, someone asked Bruce Lietzke what he thought about this 'Donald Ross design'. Lietzke said, "I don't care if it was designed by Donald Ross or Donald Duck, it's a great course."

I feel the same way about Plum Hollow. Whether designed by Alison or Reid, or both, Plum Hollow is a really good course; perhaps the least appreciated/talked about 'classic' in the Detroit area. Take down a few trees, etc., and it could be very, very good.
jeffmingay.com

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
While playing the Canadian Senior Open a few years ago at my home club, Essex, someone asked Bruce Lietzke what he thought about this 'Donald Ross design'. Lietzke said, "I don't care if it was designed by Donald Ross or Donald Duck, it's a great course."

I feel the same way about Plum Hollow. Whether designed by Alison or Reid, or both, Plum Hollow is a really good course; perhaps the least appreciated/talked about 'classic' in the Detroit area. Take down a few trees, etc., and it could be very, very good.

Jeff completely agree that great is great no matter the name but some architects seem to produce great more often than others.  On Plum, I just don't see it.  It has a few good holes but nothing more, the bunkering is weak at best, it's extremely flat and I don't even want to comment on the bridges.  It does however, have some cool greens but it's middle of the pack in Detroit area and to honest I think it gets more credit in the Detroit area than it deserves.

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
Plum Hollow was once attributed to Alison,  Ive heard mention of Wilfred Reid as well. its a great routing over very nice terrain. Does anyone have info as to  the original architect ?

thanks

Is there any actual evidence that Alison (or Colt) had anything to do with Plum Hollow regardless of how good or not good people think it is?

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »

thanks

Is there any actual evidence that Alison (or Colt) had anything to do with Plum Hollow regardless of how good or not good people think it is?

Or Colt at Detroit GC?  I had never heard that before - everybody says both North and South are Ross courses.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
I've never heard anything relating Harry Colt to Detroit Golf Club.  I think that just must be a confusion over the fact that he did build the first version of the CC of Detroit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back