News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Supply & Demand - Princes, Royal Cinque Ports
« on: July 26, 2003, 09:28:48 AM »
Just returned from a visit to the Open. For those visitors that wanted to play during Open week, the qualifying courses upped their green fees to rip-off levels.

I heard Princes were charging 1,000 pounds for a four-ball ($400 per person) and Royal Cinque Ports, 440 pounds for a four ball ($180 per person)...gulp !

Fortunately, we played the week after the Open at Littlestone (38 pounds) and Royal Cinque Ports (75 pounds).

One American visitor who i came across at Littlestone, played RCP in the morning and his comments were that RCP was windy and didnt have many memorable holes...

Craig Disher

Re:Supply & Demand - Princes, Royal Cinque Ports
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 10:51:58 AM »
Those prices are correct. At Princes, it included breakfast and a lunch. RCP also increased their fees; Littlestone did not and was a tremendous bargain - a day ticket during the week following the Open was only 45 Pounds. However, tee times were heavily booked and a second round would only have been possible late in the day. Littlestone also permits only two-ball matches (with some exceptions made during Open week) so players didn't have to spend 5 hours on the course. It was still surprising to see most 2-balls taking 4+ hours to complete a round when members usually finish in less than 3.

RCP windy? Mostly, the weather leading up to the Open was very benign. Visitors aren't usually prepared for the steady SW wind in that part of England and a 10-15 MPH breeze hardly attracts notice with the locals.

rottcodd - What did you think of Littlestone and RCP?

James Edwards

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 09:12:23 AM »
Mr McGuirk at Princes is a very shrewd businessman believe me..  He also owns the bell hotel in Sandwich.

Royal Cinque Ports has many memerable holes IMO.
@EDI__ADI

Keith Durrant

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 11:35:59 AM »
Some thoughts on the two courses:

We played both days with the "steady SW wind", certainly a 2 if not 3 club wind on occasion. The courses were running hard and fast and the rough, particularly at Littlestone was up enough to necessitate playing provisionals at every opportunity ! We played off the back-tees, and needless to say, we shot 10 over our handicaps !

Littlestone obviously lacks some of the visually impressive dunes of other courses. The opening holes played downwind, with generous fairways and presented scoring opportunities. The short 6th was nigh-impossible to hold the green downwind and extremely tricky to get back up and down.
The short 9th and 14th played cross wind, requiring top notch long irons to penetrate and hold their line. The 16th to me was the most memorable hole, a par four (used to be a five), which required two full-blooded woods the second of which had to dodge strategically placed pot bunkers in the fairway. A five here could be cherished. The par 3 17th dead into the wind was equally tough and the par 5 18th, required another two solid woods into the wind. No wonder only a few of the pros shot under par here.

RCP essentially played downwind on the way out and straight back into the wind on the way in. The greens here provide a high degree of defense, with wild undulations, starting at the first. The short 4th and par 5 5th are often commented on. How one holds the fifth green with one's approach i dont know ! Similarly it proved impossible to hold the par 3 8th with wedge from 150 yards. Essentially, one's chipping and putting were tested on many holes. As documented elsewhere the finish back into the wind is fearsome, with OOB lurking down the right. The par 3 14th playing a 3 wood or 1 iron, and then requiring two solid putts from the back edge for a par. Fairway woods and long irons were required on most of the other par fours coming home, with a premium on keeping them low and straight. Some very nasty bunkers need to be avoided.

Finally respite was enjoyed with a pint on the Clubhouse verandah :D

Is there ever talk of RCP aspiring to be on the Open rota again?

James Edwards

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 11:49:26 AM »
I can fully appreciate what you went through on that back nine.  Nicklaus said when he played, that it was the toughest back nine of golf he has ever faced.

I believe the course is good enough to be back on the rota.  
@EDI__ADI

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back