News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Spoiler alert - The Machrie
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Garland

Many thanks for that, haven't seen that one before. I'm trying to work out which one of the holes was the original Spion Kop. Judging by the postcard with the water behind the green, and assuming the postcard view is from the tee, I've got to assume that its #1 on the 1891 plan or #17 on the 1896 plan.

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
May 5, 1891 with article attached.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »
Garland

Many thanls for posting that. I love the phrase "sporting nature" and the links being described as being somewhat "foggy" in places.

Niall

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
Garland

Many thanks for that, haven't seen that one before. I'm trying to work out which one of the holes was the original Spion Kop. Judging by the postcard with the water behind the green, and assuming the postcard view is from the tee, I've got to assume that its #1 on the 1891 plan or #17 on the 1896 plan.

Niall
Spion Kop, a golf feature term which had to originate after the 1900 Boer battle probably led up to the hill in the first picture of the original entry of this thread.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
I took a Google Earth shot of the whole property for The Machrie, which is shown by the green line border. From that we can see there is enough property to go across the two rivers as shown in the 1891 routing. I drew a blue circle on the left to show the area where it was proposed extending 8 and 9 into. I drew a red circle on the right to show that there is indeed another stream as indicated by the letter B in the previous historical posting. I extended a road from Port Ellen with yellow to show where the "road to Port Ellen" marked A in the 1891 routing might have continued to the beach.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
Garland

Where are you getting the boundary of the property from, is that from the Machrie website ? Like a lot of farms some fields would have been owned, some leased and others common land. Indeed I think that's how they lost the holes on the southern end.

Anyway, I had a look on Bing multimap site and I think the Spion Kop green was located on the right edge of your red circle, whee the white path creates a semi-circle, and the green is effectively in the at semi-circle (or at least I think it is !)

Has anyone on here played the original hole ?

Niall

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
Niall,

Google Earth draws the property boundary. So it comes from Google. Don't know where they get it.

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Thanks Garland. Definitely need to get over there for a look see.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back