News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Periodicals
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
The Golf Journal was just mentioned on another thread.  What Golf Periodicals do you find worth reading?  My question is about those other than the common ones such as GD, GM, and GW (I read only GW myself).

Thanks.

Ira

Michael Graham

Re: Periodicals
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
Ira,

The Golfer's Journal, McKellar and Caddie are all worth checking out.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
I get the Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia Golf Associations magazines. I enjoy them a lot. They highlight both tournaments and courses. I suspect it is true for all State gofl associations.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
The Met Golfer is put out five times a year and covers everything going on in The Metropolitan Golf Association.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »
Ira,

The Golfer's Journal, McKellar and Caddie are all worth checking out.

Agree, agree, agree!

And add - Golf Course Architecture Magazine
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:32:00 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
Someone gave me the sandbelt issue of Caddie and it really is high quality.  It's basically a book. 

David Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »
Someone gave me the sandbelt issue of Caddie and it really is high quality.  It's basically a book.

I’d echo those comments. I picked up a Caddie at Metropolitan and it was a joy to read on the plane home. Matt Mollica’s tales a particular highlight!

I’ve not received edition 2 of McKellar yet but 1 was great. Very high standard of journalism without being too ‘up itself’ which is a risk of this genre.

TGJ is a good coffee table book. Lovely photography throughout.

Brian Finn

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
Through 2 issues of McKellar, I have found they really nailed it.  Filling a void in golf publishing with terrific writing on well-chosen subject matter.  Additionally, I really like the format.  I don't know much about publishing, but the quality of the paper, the art and photography included, and everything else makes for a really tight, cohesive product.  I am a huge fan.

I've also read some (not all) of The Golfers Journal, and I love that it has a similar foundation and spirit to McKellar, but they are putting out what are ostensibly fairly different products.  Again, quality writing, phenomenal photographs, and a ton of content.  I suppose I need to officially subscribe to TGJ.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs), Kapalua Plantation...

John McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
The Golfer's Journal and he Chicago  District Golfer
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 02:16:00 AM »
Chicago District Golfer, cool stuff.  See it at my parents house when I come home in the summer. Good way to stay connected to goings on in Chicago area for golf for sure.  I think Shelly is involved or was?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 02:13:17 PM »
Chicago District Golfer, cool stuff.  See it at my parents house when I come home in the summer. Good way to stay connected to goings on in Chicago area for golf for sure.  I think Shelly is involved or was?

He is the president
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
Neil Crafter’s Golf Architecture is the best I’ve seen.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back